Pixel or Pixel 2 & Pixel Buds

Technical Questions & Discussions about Computers, IT & electronics.
BobHelm
udonmap.com

Pixel or Pixel 2 & Pixel Buds

Post by BobHelm » October 5, 2017, 1:17 pm

Google have just launched their new range of phones. Expensive, not as much as Apple, but still going from £629 to £900 for the top of the range is not cheap... :D
The phone launch would not normally get me bothering to type a note & it doesn't this time - that is one of its' accessories.
That is the wireless headset (put aside another £150) called Google Pixel Buds.
Now that isn't much of a cause for wonder either - Apple & Samsung already have similar.
However, when you combine the phone & the buds you have a device that can translate 40 languages in real time.
So you say your piece in English & the phone broadcasts a Thai (for example) translation immediately. You then hear an English translation of the Thai reply over the headphone..

Fatone
udonmap.com

Re: Pixel or Pixel 2 & Pixel Buds

Post by Fatone » October 5, 2017, 1:23 pm

funny my $90 el cheapo zte phone with th en translator does that out loud with no headphones

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » October 5, 2017, 1:25 pm

What, translates the reply as well???

Fatone
udonmap.com

Post by Fatone » October 5, 2017, 8:48 pm

translates either way prob a bit more fiddly, have to tell it to translate th to eng or eng to thai

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » October 5, 2017, 9:08 pm

I can only suggest that you find one & see how it goes Fatone.
From what I have read about how this performs comparing your $90 el cheapo zte phone to it is a bit like comparing a radio to a smart television!!

rjj04
udonmap.com

Post by rjj04 » October 5, 2017, 9:37 pm

The Babel Fish has arrived?

To think, nobody will ever have to learn a new language again. So, in the future everybody will have a small implant that translates all languages for them instantly. No more sleights of abusive language will be uttered :-# Farang/Thai relations to plunge to new depths. :lol:

neeemu
udonmap.com

Post by neeemu » October 6, 2017, 12:04 am

Google translate is good for short sentences but often translates things work for word resulting in gobbledegook. It's still a fantastic free service however I wouldn't ever rely on it for anything important.

Fatone
udonmap.com

Post by Fatone » October 6, 2017, 7:30 am

or .. you could try a babblefish!

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » October 6, 2017, 8:15 am

neeemu wrote:
October 6, 2017, 12:04 am
Google translate is good for short sentences but often translates things work for word resulting in gobbledegook. It's still a fantastic free service however I wouldn't ever rely on it for anything important.
In September Google released a new system for doing translations - Google Neural Machine Translation system, or GNMT. It does not yet include English - Thai, but that is coming.
It has, immediately, greatly improved translation accuracy especially in languages that have a naturally close base - English, Spanish & French for example.
Here Google say that they are almost as accurate as a human bi-lingual translator.
translate.png
These claims are not just a bit of company hype designed to attract people to their products but a genuine scientific study..
https://arxiv.org/abs/1609.08144

Return to “Computers, IT & Electronics”