QR Code Payments

Technical Questions & Discussions about Computers, IT & electronics.
parrot
udonmap.com

QR Code Payments

Post by parrot » January 26, 2018, 4:12 pm

I have far more fear of being left in the tech dust of yesterday's gizmos than fear of being hacked. All it takes to remind me of not keeping up is standing in line to pay (back in the US) and someone fumbling for their checkbook. I have no desire to fill that person's shoes.
So.........recently I've seen many shops displaying QR codes at the checkout/pay counter. I've been told that most of the major banks in Thailand accept QR payment......no charge to the payee, and payment of as little as a baht. Thus far, though, I've only met one Thai man who is knowledgeable on the hows involved. He showed me how simple it was to transfer 1 baht from one of his Thai banks to another of his accounts. Instant and no charge.
I've read how China is increasingly becoming a cashless society....even in open markets where vendors now prefer QR payment over cash.
If any forum members have first-hand knowledge of how the system works, please chime in with your experience. I see the dust clouds forming on the horizon!

the-monk
udonmap.com

Re: QR Code Payments

Post by the-monk » January 26, 2018, 4:21 pm

From today s Bangkok Post

Chatuchak market to go cashless from June, SRT says

https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/genera ... e-srt-says

glalt
udonmap.com

Re: QR Code Payments

Post by glalt » January 27, 2018, 10:18 am

I'm not really a trusting type when it comes to money. Here in Thailand I always pay with cash. I don't like surprises. A few years ago I was in the US and went into a JC Penny store. I bought some clothes and when I checked out the cashier had to call for her manager because she didn't know how to accept cash. The manager tried to get me to apply for a credit card. I explained that there were no JC Penny stores in Thailand.

The last time I made a hotel reservation here in Thailand I needed to use a credit card, the hotel tried to overcharge my credit card. That backfired on them. Bank of America has a system that they give you a one time number that is good for a set maximum amount. The hotel overcharged and the transaction was rejected. The hotel got nothing. I never did pay the thieves.

Return to “Computers, IT & Electronics”