Pay Pal Account Hacked

Technical Questions & Discussions about Computers, IT & electronics.
bumper
udonmap.com

Pay Pal Account Hacked

Post by bumper » February 15, 2018, 4:01 pm

After using the account for 15 years had my first bad charge. Pay Pal was easy to work with called them on the phone and then they had me send a copy of the fake invoice. They are supposed to try to find the hacker. In any event report within the first 60 days your off the hook.

I checked my bank account nothing taken out.

I reserve the right to be wrong, mispell words type badly. leave words out of sentences because my mind works faster then my fingers. To be an OLD GIT I've earned it

felixcat
udonmap.com

Re: Pay Pal Account Hacked

Post by felixcat » February 15, 2018, 6:49 pm

Thats probably "plishing" or out right scamming.
I got 2 last week saying "Thankyou, your payment has been recieved" for a Airline ticket to some where. 2 separate emails.
The trick here, is they want you to email them and complain, then, for a fee, they will "fix" it.
I would not worry.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » February 17, 2018, 11:44 am

bumper wrote:
February 15, 2018, 4:01 pm
After using the account for 15 years had my first bad charge. Pay Pal was easy to work with called them on the phone and then they had me send a copy of the fake invoice. They are supposed to try to find the hacker. In any event report within the first 60 days your off the hook.

I checked my bank account nothing taken out.
Was the mail addressed correctly using your name?

Did you go directly to the PayPal website? Was there a charge on your account? If yes and no then.
It is quite likely that it was unrelated to your Paypal account itself as you had nothing taken from your bank account.

It is almost certainly a standard phishing scam mail that was trying to get your details.
I have a dedicated email address for PayPal and the phishing emails never us it more do the use my name correctly.

So in all probability your account was NOT hacked.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse
In my posts all fees and requirements are the standard R&R but TIT and a brown envelope can make incredible changes YMMV.

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » February 17, 2018, 3:09 pm

Yes went directly to Pay Pal. It was addressed to me. Nothing taken from Pay Pal or my bank account, thus far. I didn't respond to the email just didn't look right
I reserve the right to be wrong, mispell words type badly. leave words out of sentences because my mind works faster then my fingers. To be an OLD GIT I've earned it

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » February 17, 2018, 3:37 pm

bumper wrote:
February 17, 2018, 3:09 pm
Yes went directly to Pay Pal. It was addressed to me. Nothing taken from Pay Pal or my bank account, thus far. I didn't respond to the email just didn't look right
When you went to your PayPal account was the request for payment in your account? If not it was a phishing mail

Did the body of the email contain your name? Not just the email address?
For example "Hellow John Doe" or "Dear John Doe" (substituting your name for John Doe). If so then the mail probably came from PayPal

Did the mail come from "[email protected]" if so it was a phishing email

So far nothing suggests your account was hacked. If it was then money would have been taken.

It all sounds like you have been a target of phishing.

Bottom line you have so far done the right thing. NEVER CLICK LINKS IN EMAIL. Enter the URL into your browser yourself.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse
In my posts all fees and requirements are the standard R&R but TIT and a brown envelope can make incredible changes YMMV.

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » February 17, 2018, 3:42 pm

It was phishing. Thanks

Return to “Computers, IT & Electronics”