Firefox 2.0.0.2

Technical Questions & Discussions about Computers, IT & electronics.
BobHelm
udonmap.com

Firefox 2.0.0.2

Post by BobHelm » May 17, 2007, 1:35 pm

I've been using the newer version of Firefox for a while now - gave up on IE a long time ago... :(

Just to say that I think it is a very good program, loads of 'add ons' that you can download to customise it as you like - or not, if you want to keep it plain & simple.

The one download that I will highly recommend is the dictionary that u can add on - I downloaded the proper English version but you can go for colonial English if that is your bent :D

When you are typing text in something like a forum topic post it automatically underlines in red any word that it does not recognise which gives you the option of right hand mouse clicking for a suggested spelling, or adding the word to the dictionary....very useful freebie for someone like me - spells atrociously & types even worse.... :D

Ricohoc
udonmap.com

Post by Ricohoc » May 17, 2007, 2:16 pm

I like the Firefox browser as well, but I still use IE due to the nature of my work.

Firefox has some really nice cutting edge features, and it's free!

Doc
udonmap.com

Post by Doc » May 17, 2007, 3:30 pm

I use Firefox almost exclusively. Still have to use IE at times because of the nature of my work combined with the fact that some secure web sites still will not accept Firefox.

For Bob - I am impressed with your newfound ability to spell. Now, once you have learned how to clearly say: "I would like to buy you a beer" you will have truly mastered both forms of the English language. :D :D :D

I will be at the Clock later to let you practice that simple, but all important phrase. :D
Ain't Easy Being Me

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » May 17, 2007, 3:57 pm

I use both Opera and Firefox, in that order of preference. :D

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » May 17, 2007, 4:34 pm

Doc, in my pathetic attempts to learn Thai I have come to realise that I can only learn by having the phrase repeated to me by a fluent exponent a large number of times before I actually attempt it.
I will therefore be at the Clock later to allow you to instruct me in this form of communication.

wokkawombat
udonmap.com
Location: Udon/Noosa Australia. "One crowded hour of glorious life is worth an age without a name".

Post by wokkawombat » May 17, 2007, 6:05 pm

Bob, maybe if Doc acts it out 6 or 7 times you will grasp the concept. By then it is falling down time.

John
Gurgle, Gurgle...

wokkawombat
udonmap.com
Location: Udon/Noosa Australia. "One crowded hour of glorious life is worth an age without a name".

Post by wokkawombat » May 17, 2007, 6:06 pm

Bob, maybe if Doc acts it out 6 or 7 times you will grasp the concept. By then it is falling down time.

John
Gurgle, Gurgle...

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » May 17, 2007, 6:11 pm

Yes John, that was my plan....but maybe 10 or 12...

wokkawombat
udonmap.com

Post by wokkawombat » May 17, 2007, 6:13 pm

Looks like I am suffering from mouse finger bounce
Gurgle, Gurgle...

JimboPSM
udonmap.com

Post by JimboPSM » May 17, 2007, 6:28 pm

I use Firefox for general browsing but found it is no good for copying bulk data into spreadsheets (or maybe more correctly I haven't found the right way to copy it yet).

The problem I have is that it copies all the data into one cell.

So when I'm copying data I go back to using IE.

From memory I seem to recall "Bangkok Butcher" saying that IE was generally more secure for financial transactions such as Internet Banking and Credit Card transactions - does anyone know if this is still the case?

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » May 17, 2007, 6:50 pm

I think that Doc said that is still the case, not that IE is more secure (because it sure as hell isn't) but that most financial sites will not accept Firefox - Their built in security systems are all built around IE, so it automatically treats any other browser with suspicion as if it were an attack or threat..

Ricohoc
udonmap.com

Post by Ricohoc » May 17, 2007, 7:37 pm

JimboPSM wrote:From memory I seem to recall "Bangkok Butcher" saying that IE was generally more secure for financial transactions such as Internet Banking and Credit Card transactions - does anyone know if this is still the case?
IE seems to work better for me in that regard. I am more confident with IE security than with Firefox, but I think Firefox is less of a target.

Pakawala
udonmap.com

Post by Pakawala » May 17, 2007, 9:10 pm

Alas, no one mentioned the wonderful world of Safari... but then, I don't guess there are too many out there who have found the simplicity and beauty of Macintosh. It's most unfortunate that so many of you are still struggling with all those virus' out their and therefore must pic and choose between internet browsers that will allow you to function in the internet world. :razz:
Stay atop the grass

Ricohoc
udonmap.com

Post by Ricohoc » May 17, 2007, 9:30 pm

Pakawala wrote:Alas, no one mentioned the wonderful world of Safari... but then, I don't guess there are too many out there who have found the simplicity and beauty of Macintosh. It's most unfortunate that so many of you are still struggling with all those virus' out their and therefore must pic and choose between internet browsers that will allow you to function in the internet world. :razz:
Too heavily invested in PC desktops, PC laptops, and very expensive PC graphics software to change now; and with 3 years left to go before I am watching the world go by, I'm not about to sink more money into it.
:D

It's much cheaper at this point to continue my annual renewal of anti-virus software.
:mrgreen:

uncle tom
udonmap.com

Post by uncle tom » May 17, 2007, 10:20 pm

Pakawala wrote:
Alas, no one mentioned the wonderful world of Safari... but then, I don't guess there are too many out there who have found the simplicity and beauty of Macintosh. It's most unfortunate that so many of you are still struggling with all those virus' out their and therefore must pic and choose between internet browsers that will allow you to function in the internet world.

May I clarify the statement by Pakawala. We Mac users too have a choice of internet browsers and are not limited to safari. In Addition to Firefox and Opera, there is a newbie called Camino.

I feel most comfortable with Safari but there have been times when I can't log into secure web sites. I will then switch to Firefox for my browsing.

I'm not questioning Ricohoc decision to stick with PC, but others should be aware that Mac is now capable of running windows software.

JimboPSM
udonmap.com

Post by JimboPSM » May 17, 2007, 10:53 pm

uncle tom wrote: ............ but others should be aware that Mac is now capable of running windows software.
Does that mean that Mac users are now able to get the traditional Windows experience of blue screens, system crashes and viruses :-k

BlueDragon
udonmap.com

Post by BlueDragon » May 17, 2007, 11:16 pm

The latest Firefox version is 2.0.0.3

Peter

Irish Alan
udonmap.com

Post by Irish Alan » May 17, 2007, 11:34 pm

BobHelm wrote:I think that Doc said that is still the case, not that IE is more secure (because it sure as hell isn't) but that most financial sites will not accept Firefox - Their built in security systems are all built around IE, so it automatically treats any other browser with suspicion as if it were an attack or threat..
I've been using Firefox for about a year including logging into my bank account online and have never had any problems.

Seaserpent
udonmap.com

Post by Seaserpent » May 18, 2007, 3:19 am

JimboPSM wrote:
uncle tom wrote: ............ but others should be aware that Mac is now capable of running windows software.
Does that mean that Mac users are now able to get the traditional Windows experience of blue screens, system crashes and viruses :-k
Never heard of blue screens or system crashes on a Mac running Win. Yes you can get a virus in the Win software(s) on your Mac. That is why they sell antivirus for Mac (to be installed on Win?)

Since I'm into both Mac and Window on a PC, I read both kinds of computer magazines and forums. It looks in general that people believe Firefox to be more secure then IE, there have also been several warnings against IE 7, because of bugs that posed as threats. some now fixed, some not. Personally I'm all into Firefox on my Mac and PC... Not much over for Safari, but Camino can be a good one..

By the way has any of you guys had big troubles with TOT ADSL lately?
Here in Pattaya are complaining like h**l...

fremmel
udonmap.com

Post by fremmel » May 18, 2007, 10:33 am

I've been using Firefox since 2004 when the 1.0 version was released and have been extremely happy with it. It's certainly a lot more secure than IE's ActiveX, almost monthly security patches, and all the script kiddies banging away at it. I can't image having to downgrade to IE on a routine basis. (Can you tell I'm biased?)

My major financial and credit card sites all work fine in Firefox but Bangkok Bank is still kind of backward about their programing so it doesn't work there. But, there's a great extension for Firefox called IE Tab (http://ietab.mozdev.org/). If a site doesn't work well just right click on the page and select "View page in IE Tab" and it will use the IE rendering engine. Works great for Bangkok Bank and it even remembers so when I use a bookmark to go back it automatically opens correctly.

JimboPSM, all the tables I've pasted seem to get separated into cells without a problem. But I use QuatroPro not Excel. Maybe if you tried using the "Paste Special" option or whatever it's equivalent in Excel is there'd be a choice that would work.

Seaserpent, yes, TOT ADSL has been the pits lately. Drops in service, slow access to the DNS servers so you get frequent timeouts and have to reload the page, etc.

Return to “Computers, IT & Electronics”