Not sure of Problem

Technical Questions & Discussions about Computers, IT & electronics.
banpaeng
udonmap.com

Not sure of Problem

Post by banpaeng » November 5, 2005, 5:02 pm

I am getting an error that my computer AVG virus is out of date. It will not let me copy the message. When i go to try to get an update it showes there are none.

Also adaware shows it is 63 days out of date. I go and get the updates and reboot and it again tells me the same. I was doing all updates daily anyway so I do not know what is going on. This machine is acting strange.

Any help would be appreciated but please remember I am in the stone age in htis field.

rufus
udonmap.com

Post by rufus » November 5, 2005, 5:08 pm

NO guarantees, but this may be a problem with your cookies. If you navigate to your cookies folder and delete the cookies related to AVG anti virus and then run the program again, thie MAY solve your problem. If it doesn't you may be best to try and reinstall the program.
Hope this helps
Ron

BangkokButcher
udonmap.com

Post by BangkokButcher » November 5, 2005, 6:08 pm

It could also be that you are using outdated software, old versions of the program which are no longer supported.

It may be worthwhile just downloading fresh up to date versions to see if that fixes the problem.

banpaeng
udonmap.com

Post by banpaeng » November 6, 2005, 5:37 am

Thanks will try and get back to you guys.

banpaeng
udonmap.com

Post by banpaeng » November 6, 2005, 7:55 am

Thanks to you guys. It worked with just a new version. This might sound dumb but I thought I had been attacked by companies trying to sell virus protection. When I trid to see how to fix this problem all I got was offers to buy virus protection. I have a lot to learn about computers.

BangkokButcher
udonmap.com

Post by BangkokButcher » November 7, 2005, 3:34 am

banpaeng wrote: I have a lot to learn about computers.
Glad to hear it worked out ok BP :), try to learn something new every time you turn your pc on, then you will surprise yourself at how many little tasks become so easy to fix when needed ;)

banpaeng
udonmap.com

Post by banpaeng » November 8, 2005, 3:29 am

Now I have another problem. After I have done all this I can not get to MSN or check my hotmail. It comes up but nothing on screen. Down at the bottom it says done . After I loaded the AVG there was some instructions on what to do to make all this work with the new firewall I have gotten form them. Did all as said. Have gone back and revisited that and do not know what else to do. Any suggestions?

Also now when I submit a post I have to actually hit the link to get back to the forum. Asme question, any suggestion?

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » November 8, 2005, 3:55 am

BP are you using Internet Explorer or mozilla firefox??
I would think that you have probably stopped all 'cookies', 'popups' or disabled javascripts in your re-install. It is not a huge problem, but I am not au fait with AVG so don't know exactly where the settings are - it is probably somewhere within Options to change the settings.

banpaeng
udonmap.com

Post by banpaeng » November 8, 2005, 3:55 am

Don't know if this is right or wrong. Went to tool/internet options and changed things to default settings. Really don't know if this is a good thing but all works now. I think. If this is a bad thing please let me know.

Thanks.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » November 8, 2005, 4:19 am

Ha, ha, ha - good or bad.. all relative I think... :D
Depends what you are doing on your pc and how much personal data that you have on there & how much time you want to spend frigging about with the settings...
Basically the default settings are pretty much on the secure side but if I did a lot of personal stuff on my pc that I didn't want anyone to hack & steal then it is probably a bit under secure.
Most firewalls have a high security setting that stops virtually anything but you can specify sites that you want to be treated as secure and then these sites are allowed to run things like cookies. That is the best way to go if you do carry a lot of personal stuff, but it can be a real pain in the :censored: sometimes when you are 'general browsing'.

banpaeng
udonmap.com

Post by banpaeng » November 8, 2005, 4:32 am

Thanks Bob.

Return to “Computers, IT & Electronics”