How to Boost Your TOT Internet for Free

Technical Questions & Discussions about Computers, IT & electronics.
Udon Map
Admin

Re: How to Boost Your TOT Internet for Free

Post by Udon Map » July 4, 2019, 11:24 pm

sometimewoodworker wrote:
July 3, 2019, 6:48 pm
Just testing to see that my posts are showing, to confirm that it's a problem with this thread and parrot.
As far as we have been able to tell, it was a problem specific to Parrot's post, the one we've been talking about. It could have occurred if Parrot posted at precisely the same time as our web hosting vendor was fixing some of the other problems. Sometimes those things do happen, and our hosting vendor was making system level changes.

Please let me know if you encounter any other problems. It appears that things are back to normal now....

Udon Map
Admin

Post by Udon Map » July 5, 2019, 7:48 am

Further testing has confirmed that the problem appears to be solved and that the integrity of the forum database is intact. Again, please let us know of any additional problems you encounter.

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » January 23, 2020, 4:57 pm

Another promotion on offer. A casual request revealed for the same 590 baht, the speed can be increased from 100 mbps to 250. Mine done in a few seconds by the older guy sitting opposite the payment windows in the main TOT base.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » January 23, 2020, 5:38 pm

Brian Davis wrote:
January 23, 2020, 4:57 pm
Another promotion on offer. A casual request revealed for the same 590 baht, the speed can be increased from 100 mbps to 250. Mine done in a few seconds by the older guy sitting opposite the payment windows in the main TOT base.
Thanks for the tip. I've upgraded now several times......all for the same 590 Baht. Don't try this in your home country!

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » January 29, 2020, 5:52 pm

Just a heads up. If you're not getting the speed you think you should be, perhaps an upgrade in the modem(is that the correct term?) is required. At least, that's what the TOT helpdesk told me today and showed me a different, larger box to the one I have. Whilst my link has been upgraded to 250 Mb, I'm receiving about 95 download and strangely? about the same for upload. To my understanding, the speed should be greater and the download percentage substantially more than upload, set by TOT I think. New box and technician maybe here tomorrow, so we'll see.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » January 29, 2020, 6:26 pm

Brian Davis wrote:
January 29, 2020, 5:52 pm
Just a heads up. If you're not getting the speed you think you should be, perhaps an upgrade in the modem(is that the correct term?) is required. At least, that's what the TOT helpdesk told me today and showed me a different, larger box to the one I have. Whilst my link has been upgraded to 250 Mb, I'm receiving about 95 download and strangely? about the same for upload. To my understanding, the speed should be greater and the download percentage substantially more than upload, set by TOT I think. New box and technician maybe here tomorrow, so we'll see.
If you can, please take a photo of the replacement box, so I can compare to the one I have. Also, any cost for the new box?

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » January 30, 2020, 11:24 am

IMG_0649.JPG
IMG_0650.JPG
TOT did turn up just now. Replaced modem with larger version, four aerials. Now receiving speed of 260 for BOTH download and upload. No charge for different modem(it's their property anyway!) and the monthly payment remains at 590 baht per month. Photos attached, Parrot. Size wise, the original modem was approx. 5" x 3", new 7.7" x 5.5".

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » January 30, 2020, 11:45 am

Thanks so much for posting

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » January 30, 2020, 12:10 pm

Not that I grasp these things, but I think the technician said "5G". Early days, but my wife doesn't seem able to connect on her 4G 'phone, even though I put the password back to its' previous. Have to upgrade 'phone to 5G if she wants to connect?

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » January 30, 2020, 12:21 pm

i didnt think 5 g was here yet , not even available in the U K .
When he said early days he probably meant way in the future , as the infastructure for 5 g isnt even in place .

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » January 30, 2020, 6:09 pm

A quick Google and a few topics indicate you're very correct, Saint. Perhaps the technician meant it's ready as and when for 5G? My reference to early days was actually concerned with solving the 'niggles' which often come with something new plugged in - my wife's lack of 4G 'phone access for a start, although change of passwords etc. may explain that.

marcsarge
udonmap.com

Post by marcsarge » January 30, 2020, 9:02 pm

Brian. I think they changed your Router not your Modem. I reason I say this is the white box is the modem and the black box I think is the router. I have the white box and its a modem and my router is my own. So did they replace the white box or black box or both? Not being able the connect to the 4G might be because they changed your password. They should have written it down or at the very least told you what it is. If they didn't you should call them because they can give you the password.

Stantheman
udonmap.com

Post by Stantheman » January 31, 2020, 1:55 am

Brian Davis wrote:
January 30, 2020, 12:10 pm
Not that I grasp these things, but I think the technician said "5G". Early days, but my wife doesn't seem able to connect on her 4G 'phone, even though I put the password back to its' previous. Have to upgrade 'phone to 5G if she wants to connect?
I believe the tech was talking the 5ghz wifi band, which is completely different then 5g phone bands. Older wifi router used the 2.4ghz band. Also your second picture with aerials is a router and box it's connected to is modem.
Some older phones do not connect to 5ghz wifi.

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » January 31, 2020, 4:49 am

Thanks Stantheman. You've totally exposed my lack of understanding of these things. :lol:

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » January 31, 2020, 8:32 am

Stantheman wrote:
January 31, 2020, 1:55 am
Brian Davis wrote:
January 30, 2020, 12:10 pm
I believe the tech was talking the 5ghz wifi band, which is completely different then 5g phone bands. Older wifi router used the 2.4ghz band. Also your second picture with aerials is a router and box it's connected to is modem.
Some older phones do not connect to 5ghz wifi.
That makes perfect sense .
I had to upgrade my sim card a few weeks ago . =D> =D>

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » January 31, 2020, 10:08 am

For what it's worth, my wife is now able to access the updated house wi-fi with her newish Samsung, when we ascertained the correct password. \:D/

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » January 31, 2020, 10:55 am

Brian Davis wrote:
January 29, 2020, 5:52 pm
Again, many thanks for your posts. I went to the TOT office and said I was signed up for 100/100 and wanted to upgrade. She said, no problem.....a few strokes on the keyboard and she said how's 150/150 for 490 Baht sound(I was paying 590 for 100/100). She told me to check the speed later in the evening and if I had any problems to call 1100. When I checked last night, the speed was the same 100/100.....so I called 1100 at 9pm. After a few minutes of checking, the tech told me she was referring me for a service call with a technician. 08hundred this morning, the tech calls and says they're on the way. Three guys showed up, installed the new router (the black box with 4 antennae) and checked to be sure all our phones/tvs were in working order.
All free.
A few comments: #1 Don't try this at home with ATT.
#2 These are the kind of threads that make udonmap so useful......living in a foreign country, living in the jungle or not.
Thanks again! Happy camper

Chriss
udonmap.com

Post by Chriss » February 2, 2020, 12:50 pm

I also have had the new 5G ready 4 aerial router installed and package upgrade to 400/400.
In the process now of upgrading my 100Mbps ethernet port or using an adapter of some description.. anyone done this?

Stantheman
udonmap.com

Post by Stantheman » February 3, 2020, 12:53 am

If your talking laptop/desktop computer I use an USB adapter that gets both 2.4ghz and 5ghz. It's plug and play with any software needed on the USB device. Just remember the 5ghz signal does not reach as far as 2.4ghz. You can get the adapter just about any decent computer store

Chriss
udonmap.com

Post by Chriss » February 3, 2020, 8:14 am

Stantheman wrote:
February 3, 2020, 12:53 am
If your talking laptop/desktop computer I use an USB adapter that gets both 2.4ghz and 5ghz. It's plug and play witsh any software needed on the USB device. Just remember the 5ghz signal does not reach as far as 2.4ghz. You can get the adapter just about any decent computer store
Thanks for the reply, yes I’m looking for just that type of device for both a laptop and desktop, looks like any alternative will be physical change of hardware within the computer.. what level of speed increase do these adapters give you..?

Return to “Computers, IT & Electronics”