WiFi Connection

Technical Questions & Discussions about Computers, IT & electronics.
Kudjap or Bust
udonmap.com

WiFi Connection

Post by Kudjap or Bust » May 28, 2007, 2:16 pm

I have bought a new laptop which has WiFi (wireless network) capability. I regularly use airline lounges where they have free interent connection through WiFi, I don't understand how to use this facility. I also see hotels offering free WiFi internet in the rooms, I guess this is the same but again don't know how to connect....

Do I need to get network information from the airlines/hotels and set up network connections for each one? Or is it wonderful plug and play and it's all done automatically

wilson_smith
udonmap.com

Post by wilson_smith » May 28, 2007, 3:32 pm

you need to name your opperating system!
on most laptops, there is a section in the control panel, network connections. go there and find wireless or lan network connection.
and set it up from there.

I just right click on the icon of the monitor in the tray in the right bottom corner, and search for wireless networks, then connect to one, quite simple.

a secured connection needs a WEP password

make sure you have all your "share files and passwords" disabled, or you will show anyone everything.

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » May 28, 2007, 3:32 pm

I've also have a WIFI enabled laptop and somewhat of a novice at wireless networking, but I suck at giving directions. So here's site that should be able to answer your questions. Open and scroll down to step 8 Going Wireless. This is part 2 of a 3 part wireless step by step tutorial (I'd recommend reading all 3 parts).

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/how ... eless2.htm

BTW, places that offer free WIFI may require you to have a Network Key (also Password Key) to gain access (like the Irish Clock).

wilson_smith
udonmap.com

Post by wilson_smith » May 28, 2007, 3:37 pm

not true papaguido, some places have free wifi and you just go and jump in.

not all places have passwords or keys, thats why you need to secure the laptop before using wifi ie: firewall and change share settings

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » May 28, 2007, 4:22 pm

here is a link to where free wi-fi points are in Bangkok,patts,phuket,chaing mai, may be of some help if anyone is there,there are plenty you just click on and you are away...
WI-FI CONNECTIONS <<<

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » May 28, 2007, 5:50 pm

papaguido wrote:I've also have a WIFI enabled laptop and somewhat of a novice at wireless networking, but I suck at giving directions. So here's site that should be able to answer your questions. Open and scroll down to step 8 Going Wireless. This is part 2 of a 3 part wireless step by step tutorial (I'd recommend reading all 3 parts).

BTW, places that offer free WIFI may require you to have a Network Key (also Password Key) to gain access (like the Irish Clock).
Yes Mr Smith I realize that. That's why I wrote "may require" . :D

dill
udonmap.com

Post by dill » May 28, 2007, 6:48 pm

wilson_smith wrote:you need to name your opperating system!
on most laptops, there is a section in the control panel, network connections. go there and find wireless or lan network connection.
and set it up from there.

I just right click on the icon of the monitor in the tray in the right bottom corner, and search for wireless networks, then connect to one, quite simple.

a secured connection needs a WEP password

make sure you have all your "share files and passwords" disabled, or you will show anyone everything.
thanxs for that info wilson
i am not really that much of a computer liturate so that was some good hints i would have never known.

Kudjap or Bust
udonmap.com

Post by Kudjap or Bust » May 28, 2007, 10:44 pm

OK thanks guys, this is a new laptop with MS Vista.

Thanks Papa G this site helped get an idea of what I need to do

wilson_smith
udonmap.com

Post by wilson_smith » May 29, 2007, 3:29 am

K or B
man, I hate that vista, I had to partition my hard drive, and install XP because of so many software conflicts, and vista not working with other microsoft programs.

Doing the partition, and setting the boot configuration for dual opperating systems was not fun at all.

vista is a right click to the icon of the monitor in the right corner of your browser, make sure to disable sharing!

W_S

JimboPSM
udonmap.com

Post by JimboPSM » May 29, 2007, 4:26 am

wilson_smith wrote:K or B
man, I hate that vista............
It seems that large numbers of Dell customers feel the same way.

Dell initially dumped XP for Vista, but following substantial customer resistance to Vista, they are now offering XP again as an alternative to Vista on their PC's and Laptops in the UK (anyone know if similar is happening in US?).

Bob4you
udonmap.com

Post by Bob4you » May 29, 2007, 5:01 am

beer monkey wrote:here is a link to where free wi-fi points are in Bangkok,patts,phuket,chaing mai, may be of some help if anyone is there,there are plenty you just click on and you are away...
WI-FI CONNECTIONS <<<
Any restaurants or bars in Udon offering Free Wi Fi?

wilson_smith
udonmap.com

Post by wilson_smith » May 29, 2007, 5:57 am

:shock: boy boy bar :shock:

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » May 29, 2007, 6:39 am

Irish Clock

uncle tom
udonmap.com

Post by uncle tom » May 29, 2007, 6:47 am

This is great timing....how do you all do it ???

Just came home from helping a friend set up his new lap top. He has never used a computer before and is trying to use an existing DSL line. This is all new to me too. Never had a wireless connection before - I did have a lap top in '93 when the word WIFI was a typo.

Have an idea what's needed after seeing his computer and returned home to search the net for info. This is my first stop. Thanks papaguido for the referenced site.

Once I help my friend buy a router I'll look like a genius.

Gee; I am getting mellow. No once did I complain about AOL or Vista. The first thing the new owner learns is how his installed Vista Home Edition is inadequate and he really needs to upgrade to a more expensive version.

I'm getting a new laptop this summer and am seriously thinking of an apple MacBook.

Again, this forum is great, thanks for the tip.

jetdoc
udonmap.com

Post by jetdoc » May 29, 2007, 9:40 am

The down side of getting a Mac is, you won't need to generate threads on how to make it work.

Kudjap or Bust
udonmap.com

Post by Kudjap or Bust » May 31, 2007, 10:01 am

OK, took the laptop to a free wifi site, powered up, switched on wifi a couple of accept clicks later I was hooked up....All automatic point and click, wonderful...... Not sure yet about this Vista but time will tell..... My hard wired ADSL router doesn't work as it doesn't support vista and theres no new driver available yet, so says the manufacturer.......So off to the complex to buy a new WiFi router.

Any recommendations???

Thai_1_On
udonmap.com

Post by Thai_1_On » May 31, 2007, 11:11 am

Hi KB I use a D-Link wireless router here in the states and no problem at all. I seem to have a lot of power problems here but the router powers up perfect eveytime unlike the "Netgear" brand.

My TW friend has one and I am all the time walking her though the setup on that POS after a power failure :mad:

wilson_smith
udonmap.com

Post by wilson_smith » May 31, 2007, 11:48 am

its either linksys or netgear

Hah! now you have to learn how to partition your hard drive, and install XP so all your other things you want to use will work!

Thats what I had to do, read here:
http://apcmag.com/5023/dual_booting_xp_with_vista

I partioned on XP with partition magic, then installed vista on the 2nd active partition. Then set up the boot opperation with EasyBCD.

Stupid windows vista does not work with other microsoft programs, so I have to buy bootleg copies at the complex later on. I still cant print with the vista OS, no drivers!

Kudjap or Bust
udonmap.com

Post by Kudjap or Bust » June 4, 2007, 9:06 am

Hey wilson_smith after accepting I'd need a new ADSL router I was playing with Vista and found a very interesting built in wizard that allows you to use other OS compatible software, well, in my case a driver for the ADSL router.

Trying to load the driver normally by inserting the CD gave an error mssage "Operating System Not Compatible". Using the in built wizard it accepted the driver and I can use the router no problem.

Not sure if it works for all other OS compatible kit but I have a webcam that I'm going to try later..

Wizard can be found under.

Start
Control panel
Programs
Programs and Features

There you see "use an older program with this version of Windows"

As I say not sure if it'll work for everything but at least it's there and saved me buying a new router.

wilson_smith
udonmap.com

Post by wilson_smith » June 6, 2007, 3:32 am

Let us know, right now I am using the new laptop with both XP and vista choices. I only will use vista to burn CDs or DVDs

That damn vista wont work with microsoft frontpage, a genuine microsoft program, so I have to go and buy bootleg copies of the new version. I am not too thrilled about paying an arm and a leg for some Bill Gates trick 8)

Good luck to you on that, if you need help later I can help you set up the laptop for dual boot.........you just have to wait until I come back to Udon.......less than 2 months :cry:

I am also in the process of learning how to get free wifi anywhere there is a hotspot. This one is a hard one to learn!

Return to “Computers, IT & Electronics”