usb stick?

Technical Questions & Discussions about Computers, IT & electronics.
kopkei
udonmap.com

usb stick?

Post by kopkei » January 10, 2020, 9:50 am

i bought some usb sticks 2gb to put some mp3 songs , but apparently they are not working properly?, from all the downloaded songs can only read 5 ,unable to read, missing codec.....,but nothing wrong with the songs if i put them on another stick, reading speed to slow ? ,tried to format them to other format ,still same problem , anyone any ideas ?
thanks ... ;)

Asiaphile
udonmap.com

Re: usb stick?

Post by Asiaphile » January 10, 2020, 11:01 am

Already tried "Chkdsk"?

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » January 10, 2020, 12:31 pm

kopkei wrote:
January 10, 2020, 9:50 am
i bought some usb sticks 2gb to put some mp3 songs , but apparently they are not working properly?, from all the downloaded songs can only read 5 ,unable to read, missing codec.....,but nothing wrong with the songs if i put them on another stick, reading speed to slow ? ,tried to format them to other format ,still same problem , anyone any ideas ?
thanks ... ;)
How much did you pay?

If they were cheap They are quite likely to be fakes so probably only 8mb or less.

If not then go back to the shop you bought them from.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse
In my posts all fees and requirements are the standard R&R but TIT and a brown envelope can make incredible changes YMMV.

the-monk
udonmap.com

Post by the-monk » January 10, 2020, 12:46 pm

The CODEC is part of your Operating Software ( Windows etc ), so maybe try to download an up-to-date version.
I think it would be helpful if you could provide the brand name and model number of these USB drives.
Thanks. Good luck.

bluejets
udonmap.com

Post by bluejets » January 10, 2020, 1:35 pm

Format the stick and try again.

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » January 10, 2020, 2:20 pm

it are usb sticks from kingston DT101G2 of 2gb, if have formatted them already ,even changed the format , still same
the codec message is not relevant as i am able to put the same songs on an other brand of stick without any problem
and yes chkdsk result is ok , also cluster test , 1.95gb available , i have one former bought same brand working fine ,bought them @ 52 baht/piece a while ago ...,maybe as stww says all faulty ?.... ;)

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » January 10, 2020, 2:22 pm

Cheap is not good!!!! Normally the default format is FAT32, I always reformat my attachable media to NTFS. This allows one to save bigger files and more files per folder.
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

the-monk
udonmap.com

Post by the-monk » January 10, 2020, 3:00 pm

52 thb per drive... wow...
Have you try this ??
https://www.easeus.com/partition-manage ... -tool.html

WimH
udonmap.com

Post by WimH » January 10, 2020, 4:58 pm

the-monk wrote:
January 10, 2020, 3:00 pm
52 thb per drive... wow...
THB = thai bytes??? :confused:
Wim
Vliermaal, Belgium

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » January 10, 2020, 5:11 pm

kopkei wrote:
January 10, 2020, 2:20 pm
it are usb sticks from kingston DT101G2 of 2gb, if have formatted them already ,even changed the format , still same
the codec message is not relevant as i am able to put the same songs on an other brand of stick without any problem
and yes chkdsk result is ok , also cluster test , 1.95gb available , i have one former bought same brand working fine ,bought them @ 52 baht/piece a while ago ...,maybe as stww says all faulty ?.... ;)
Virtually certain that they are fakes, not faulty, the one under is a genuine 8gb kingston DT101G2 and you can see that ฿50 is an impossible price. They have some reasonably smart software that is telling lies to chkdsk and the usual MS utilities.

The way to test is to copy about 1.8gb of data to them, then copy the data back on to a different part of your hard disk and check to see if the copy worked. The data must consist of all different files to be sure that there is not some really clever software on the disk.
542E85B4-5759-457B-889A-B9E80236A90B.jpeg
In my posts all fees and requirements are the standard R&R but TIT and a brown envelope can make incredible changes YMMV.

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Post by semperfiguy » January 10, 2020, 6:05 pm

Same thing happened to me. I bought two of Kingston's latest 32 GB memory sticks from Lazada and they were fake Chinese knockoffs. I did everything possible to get them to work and wound up throwing them in the garbage.
Colossians 2:8-10...See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, which are based on human tradition and the spiritual forces of the world rather than on Christ. For in HIM dwells all the fullness of the GODHEAD bodily; and you are complete in HIM, who is the head of all principality and power.

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » January 10, 2020, 7:17 pm

stww , you are showing a picture of usb 8GB , what i bought is only 2GB , just big enough to put music ,and they all are about same price(kingston) ....and to me fakes or faulty? the result is the same they don't work ...
and even with easeus or aomei they seem to be ok but they are not... ;)

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » January 10, 2020, 8:28 pm

kopkei wrote:
January 10, 2020, 7:17 pm
stww , you are showing a picture of usb 8GB , what i bought is only 2GB , just big enough to put music ,and they all are about same price(kingston) ....and to me fakes or faulty? the result is the same they don't work ...
and even with easeus or aomei they seem to be ok but they are not... ;)
I know it’s an 8GB you can prorate the cost for a 2GB one and it certainly isn’t 50 Baht. Anyway Kingston has a 5 year guarantee so contact them and you will either get them replaced or be told that they are fake.

As I told you the software on fake cards lie. Those programs look at the file directory and the fakes will lie about that.

Have you tried the copy to and from yet?

Last edited by sometimewoodworker on January 10, 2020, 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

samuel
udonmap.com

Post by samuel » January 10, 2020, 8:53 pm

i once bought a usb stick here in udon to listen to mp3 Music in the car.
the car Stereo could not read it - the pc could.

reason: usb 3 stick

changed it to usb 2 stick and all works well…...

bluejets
udonmap.com

Post by bluejets » January 11, 2020, 5:51 am

52 Baht....you have to be kidding.
What do you expect..?
Do you also buy 5 baht Pringles on the street..??

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » January 11, 2020, 8:08 am

52 Baht....you have to be kidding ?...., this is what i stopped do long time already ,is comparing prices with my home country , where everything is overpriced due to many factors , a bit same as imported goods here are and i will avoid them also if possible ,many goods now in Europe are way more expensive as here and come from the same supplier mainly china ? ,and for those who do not know, they do have also good products , and i will not buy any pringles anywhere as i am not interested in expensive brand names ...only to clear this ...about these usb , i ordered them on lazada and when checking they were all about the same price (kingston),yes around 50baht/piece https://www.lazada.co.th/catalog/?spm=a ... %202gb_1_1
not easy to find 2gb ones ? , i will try to check them again today and if not working (probably) i will toss them and order new ones , this time checking them when i get them (what i did not do before) and if faulty sending them back or not accepting them ....i have one same usb stick bought before at same price and is working fine, so the good ones are also out there ...thanks for all the info ,i will use all advice given wisely and will update if i can solve .... ;)

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » January 11, 2020, 8:51 am

as stww advised i have downloaded a software to check https://www.rmprepusb.com/tutorials/-fa ... -Downloads
and this was the result
IMG_20200111_082728[1].jpg
they all get same ...so ting cajaa....(throw in garbage)
this sf will be handy to check the future new ones ....thanks for all info ... ;)

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » January 11, 2020, 9:19 am

In all probability Kingston doesn’t make 2GB memory stick now.
You can guarantee that any memory that is marked down as much as those are has an extremely high chance of being fake or rejected from the QC process.

Why are you so instant on 2GB?

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » January 11, 2020, 9:28 am

it is only to put some songs , 4gb would go too , but i prefer 2gb ...anyway i will order some new ones and if faulty i will give them back ,asked the shop first if they check them before sending ? wait and see what will happen ... ;)

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » January 11, 2020, 2:44 pm

kopkei wrote:
January 11, 2020, 9:28 am
it is only to put some songs , 4gb would go too , but i prefer 2gb ...anyway i will order some new ones and if faulty i will give them back ,asked the shop first if they check them before sending ? wait and see what will happen ... ;)
I hope your not trying to get more 50 Baht ones.

Return to “Computers, IT & Electronics”