Video From my Laptop To My TV

Technical Questions & Discussions about Computers, IT & electronics.
Kudjap or Bust
udonmap.com

Video From my Laptop To My TV

Post by Kudjap or Bust » June 18, 2007, 9:54 am

I have downloaded some movies onto my new laptop which has a video out jack, looks like a regular mouse or keyboard socket. I'd like to play the movies on my TV from the laptop.

1. Is this possible
2. Do I use this video out jack
3. What cable do I ask for in a computer shop.

Also, These downloaded movies are in .avi format, how can I convert them so I can burn them onto DVD?

Thanks in advance

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » June 18, 2007, 10:53 am

not sure about format, but just bought a laptop, should be here any day, and present desk top, and one way both say to hook up is if you have an S video jack on laptop and tv, that is one way, plus there are adaptors for most different jacks. i personally have not done it, but read the instructions and have the software, looks easy enough, especially if you have compatible jacks. the s video jack is usually labelled so and is round with various pins as opposed to older red/yellow/white video/audio jacks commonly found.

good luck

Roy
udonmap.com
Location: Outside LA's hoping to get a glimpse of his naked maid

Post by Roy » June 18, 2007, 12:46 pm

You will need some software to convert the files from AVI to DVD, if you don't have a DVD burner then they can be converted into VCD. I use TMPGEnc 4.0 XPress which will just about convert any file type.
You can download a trial version and if you like it, purchase online or PM for further info.
There is a multitude of downloadable free software but I find this one the best by a country mile.
Free the Doug 1

Doc
udonmap.com

Post by Doc » June 18, 2007, 12:47 pm

You can burn AVI onto a DVD without any problem. No conversion necessary.

For conversion software you can also check out www.freewaregenius.com
Ain't Easy Being Me

Kudjap or Bust
udonmap.com

Post by Kudjap or Bust » June 18, 2007, 2:05 pm

Thanks for the info

My TV doesn't have an S video port, only the old style red/yellpw/white video/audio types, is there a cable that has S video one end and old style the other???

Thanks Roy, I'll give the software you mentioned a go.

Doc, my laptop has a built in CD/DVD burner so no probs there but if I burn the .avi file will it play OK on my DVD player? I don't see anywhere in the DVD instruction manual that it mentions avi's, does say about CD/VCD/DVD/MP3/MP4 etc but not avi

Doc
udonmap.com

Post by Doc » June 18, 2007, 2:28 pm

Kudjap or Bust wrote:Doc, my laptop has a built in CD/DVD burner so no probs there but if I burn the .avi file will it play OK on my DVD player? I don't see anywhere in the DVD instruction manual that it mentions avi's, does say about CD/VCD/DVD/MP3/MP4 etc but not avi
Not sure - but you can always give it a try. :D

If not - go to the freewaregenius.com site - and I am confident that you will find the conversion software there. He only lists quality stuff that has been tested - and that he has tried. Nice part is it is all free! I have downloaded a number of things from his site without any problems - and no spyware or anything else attached to it.
Ain't Easy Being Me

Kudjap or Bust
udonmap.com

Post by Kudjap or Bust » June 18, 2007, 2:43 pm

OK thanks Doc, I'll give the burn a go first and see what happens

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » June 18, 2007, 4:58 pm

K or B

Its not that straightforward - have a look at this on TV

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php ... pic=123975

I haven't been able to get it working properly. The trickiest part is setting up your video card correctly - see the instructions at "Weethet" - the link is included in the above discussion.

I would love to hear from you if you get it right.

jack

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » June 19, 2007, 9:01 am

ok, have just hooked up tv to comp, had an s video on on of the tvs at house, but will need to buy another, and will check if adaptors are available. my instuctionsshow 3 ways, old yellow/red/whit, s video, and s video adaptor if no compatable, so they should be offered. my purpose was to see if video card or power supply was problem fo monitor problems, now know, power supply or somthing in monitoor iisn't working correctly.

it is hooked to an older tv, the one i wanted to use didn't have s video. the resolution is not good, i can see pics ok, reading is tough, especially this site, as when i change the text size from browser 'view' setting, this site doesn't change, others do. hmm. so excuse the typing errors, as i can not really see very good. need to toy with settings, already did with tv settings, helped a little. on mycomp you can set to watch monitor and tv at same time, which i chose to wait to see if both turned off or just monitor, thus power supply problem, a mere 2 minutes on and it went off. have a newer tv, larger screen, but the loved ones would kill me if i used that. hopefully get back to you today on adaptors.

BangkokButcher
udonmap.com

Post by BangkokButcher » June 19, 2007, 3:51 pm

Reading or viewing internet sites on your tv isn't really a great idea imho, like LA stated, the resolution will be cr@p unless you have a decent lcd set up.

Pics and videos will be able to display well using a set of AV cables (red/white/yellow) as long as your tv has the inputs.

AVI files will only play on a dvd player that supports divx, which is a codec that supports avi and other video formats, so the best way to play the video would be to hook up via some AV cables to the tv and either s-video or av on the laptop end :)

If you want to convert to dvd, then here is a great free program, pretty comprehensive, but easy when you have done it a few times:

http://www.trustfm.net/divx/SoftwareAvi2Dvd.html

Hope it helps :)

sappiajk
udonmap.com

Post by sappiajk » June 19, 2007, 4:46 pm

It actually is quite simple to hook up your latop to your TV. In the basement of Big C you can go to the Electronics store and buy an Svideo to COmposite adaptor. Hook this up to the computer and the TV. Also get a Head Phone jack to Composite (Red and Yellow) Adaptor. This will allow you to plug the wires in.

Once you are connect, right click on your desktop, and click properties. Often you need to the move to advanced settings. There should be a place for TV detection (often you have to click force TV detection.) Then extend the desktop should be showing on the TV. IF not you may need to click extend desktop. Then you can start the avi video and move the player to the extended screen and it should work.

Sounds complicated, but once you know how, it is really easy.

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » June 19, 2007, 7:02 pm

it was very easy to set up, hit your desktop properties, settings, advanced, then depending on make computer, HP, I clicked on my video card name which gave me options, which i chose 'clone' for hp, which allows viewing on both monitor and tv at same time. narrowing down my problem from 3 to 2 possibilities. couldn't not find power source adaptor at my comp shop, picked up laptop today, so didn't go searching for cable, as laptop had s video cable with it. but at comp store, was informed to get adaptor at shop at big c complex, probably same as mentioned about. as you can see, less typing errors, tweeked my settings on comp and tv, better but far from what i want. but this is an old tv, although it did have s video, where the one newer/better didn't. the 3rd, i wouldn't thing about using, would probably better, but not necessary for my simple tasks here. new tv's have monitor jacks and would suspect to do an excellent job, unless jack is just for show and sales. but since you have a laptop and in market for tv, you would have no problem shopping for quality/compatible tv. my 21000 baht flat screen monitor is presently useless, and i see flat tv's with comp jacks for 50k, so if needing a new tv, go the extra mile/km and splurge. i have not plans on replacing this monitor, if power source problem isn't fixed inexpensively. especially since have laptop now. will double check adaptors at shop tomorrow as i still need one. but as mentioned above, obviously hae them.

good luck

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » June 19, 2007, 8:51 pm

laphanphon wrote:it was very easy to set up, hit your desktop properties, settings, advanced, then depending on make computer, HP, I clicked on my video card name which gave me options, which i chose 'clone' for hp, which allows viewing on both monitor and tv at same time. narrowing down my problem from 3 to 2 possibilities. couldn't not find power source adaptor at my comp shop, picked up laptop today, so didn't go searching for cable, as laptop had s video cable with it. but at comp store, was informed to get adaptor at shop at big c complex, probably same as mentioned about. as you can see, less typing errors, tweeked my settings on comp and tv, better but far from what i want. but this is an old tv, although it did have s video, where the one newer/better didn't. the 3rd, i wouldn't thing about using, would probably better, but not necessary for my simple tasks here. new tv's have monitor jacks and would suspect to do an excellent job, unless jack is just for show and sales. but since you have a laptop and in market for tv, you would have no problem shopping for quality/compatible tv. my 21000 baht flat screen monitor is presently useless, and i see flat tv's with comp jacks for 50k, so if needing a new tv, go the extra mile/km and splurge. i have not plans on replacing this monitor, if power source problem isn't fixed inexpensively. especially since have laptop now. will double check adaptors at shop tomorrow as i still need one. but as mentioned above, obviously hae them.

good luck
?

cookie
udonmap.com

Post by cookie » June 20, 2007, 2:12 pm

TT&T is offering IPTV in some big cities in the North eastern provinces.

Kudjap or Bust
udonmap.com

Post by Kudjap or Bust » June 20, 2007, 2:23 pm

I'm not interested in vewing websites on my TV merely watch movies on the TV that I have downloaded from the internet.

The movies are in .avi format and I didn't have a program to convert them to a dvd format (MP4 for example) and burn to dvd.

Now I think I've got the answer as my big screen TV has an S video socket so I'll buy an S video to S video cable, hook up the laptop to the TV and see what happens

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » June 20, 2007, 2:53 pm

sounds good 8)

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » June 20, 2007, 3:06 pm

K or B

Look on Mininova.org for a program called WinDVD. It can convert most formats (including .avi) to DVD, and will then link into Nero to burn a DVD. I have just finished burning about 6 movies - all with good results.

Also have a look at

http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/

for an explanation of the process.

jack

Kudjap or Bust
udonmap.com

Post by Kudjap or Bust » June 20, 2007, 3:50 pm

Hey I have WinDVD on my desktop..... didn't realise you could convert usingit....will give it a go

Return to “Computers, IT & Electronics”