Dual boot problem

Technical Questions & Discussions about Computers, IT & electronics.
petl
udonmap.com

Dual boot problem

Post by petl » June 8, 2020, 7:01 am

I have a newish Lenovo IPD320-15AST laptop with preinstalled Windows 10. I would like to install Ubuntu 20.04 alongside the W10. As an 80yo dummy, I'm having trouble to do the dual boot installation despite all the Net and YouTube procedures. I've made a USB drive with the 20.4 but when I try to boot it via the dual boot menu (accessed via the Novo button) the system still boots W10. Is there a simple fix or do I need to get it to an expert? If so, who and where is he? I'm a bit out of town near Ban Chiang. Thanks.

DuiDui49
udonmap.com

Re: Dual boot problem

Post by DuiDui49 » June 8, 2020, 8:18 am

petl wrote:
June 8, 2020, 7:01 am
I have a newish Lenovo IPD320-15AST laptop with preinstalled Windows 10. I would like to install Ubuntu 20.04 alongside the W10. As an 80yo dummy, I'm having trouble to do the dual boot installation despite all the Net and YouTube procedures. I've made a USB drive with the 20.4 but when I try to boot it via the dual boot menu (accessed via the Novo button) the system still boots W10. Is there a simple fix or do I need to get it to an expert? If so, who and where is he? I'm a bit out of town near Ban Chiang. Thanks.
Have you tryed this:

Click on Advanced Options. [00:09]
Click on Startup Repair. [00:28]
Type: bootrec /rebuildbcd and Press Enter. [02:46]
Type: exit and press Enter. [03:04]
Press System Restore. [03:28]
Select your account. [03:40]
Select your latest restore point. [03:59]
Press Close. [04:43]

cjd01
udonmap.com

Post by cjd01 » June 8, 2020, 8:19 am

Hi
You need to set your bios to boot from the usb, linux can be run from the usb and when your happy you can install it as a dual boot system, linux itself will take care of the boot options
Here's a link that may help
https://itsfoss.com/guide-install-linux ... t-windows/

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » June 8, 2020, 8:49 am

Can the OP confirm that after he has used the Novo button, he has been able to:

A - Access the BIOS setup menu and,

B - Moved the USB to a higher boot priority, ie. USB, then CD (if fitted) then the C partition?

YouTube videos show using either the Novo button or F2 key to enter BIOS setup. The Novo button brings up the option to enter BIOS setup or jump into the boot sequence. I am not sure but maybe using the latter only changes THAT particular boot and subsequent reboots will revert to the default W10 partition. Entering BIOS setup and changing the boot sequence per first paragraph should change ALL reboots if the changes are saved.

Good luck.

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » June 8, 2020, 10:22 am

The good thing about changing bios boot priority and saving it, the computer will always try the USB first. If there is no USB connected device capable of booting the machine the computer goes to the second option priority and boots from the hard drive as the second option.

petl
udonmap.com

Post by petl » June 8, 2020, 12:06 pm

Thanks for these comments, I did use Novo button to enter startup menu (with usb inserted), just clicked USB without moving that option up to first priority, could that be my problem? How to reset the boot priority for USB first?
Is it a possibility my usb isn't OK, how to check it?.

DuiDui49
udonmap.com

Post by DuiDui49 » June 8, 2020, 12:41 pm

petl wrote:
June 8, 2020, 12:06 pm
Thanks for these comments, I did use Novo button to enter startup menu (with usb inserted), just clicked USB without moving that option up to first priority, could that be my problem? How to reset the boot priority for USB first?
Try this:

https://youtu.be/QepU4tbEyA4

Charlieb
udonmap.com

Post by Charlieb » June 8, 2020, 3:02 pm

Instead of dual boot give virtual machine like Virtualbox from Oracle. Its free and then you do not need to reboot to go from one system to the other.

samuel
udonmap.com

Post by samuel » June 8, 2020, 5:55 pm

petl wrote:
June 8, 2020, 7:01 am
I have a newish Lenovo IPD320-15AST laptop with preinstalled Windows 10....
if your copy of Windows 10 is a Windows 10 Pro version then you have already all you need.
how to find out: type winver in the windows 10 search box.

Use Hyper-V and install ubuntu as a virtual machine.
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Hyper-V

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » June 8, 2020, 6:48 pm

petl wrote:
June 8, 2020, 12:06 pm
Yes, after the USB device is moved to the top of the boot "tree" in the BIOS, that configuration needs to be saved before exiting the BIOS editor. Otherwise the laptop will just boot the default W10 partition.

Return to “Computers, IT & Electronics”