WWAN Experience in Thailand

Technical Questions & Discussions about Computers, IT & electronics.
jackspratt
udonmap.com

WWAN Experience in Thailand

Post by jackspratt » February 19, 2021, 12:57 pm

Does anyone have experience with using WWAN in their laptop in Thailand?

Whistler
udonmap.com

Re: WWAN Experience in Thailand

Post by Whistler » February 19, 2021, 1:32 pm

Jack,

If your smartphone has the speed and capacity that you need, while you are at home, the WWAN will be OK. If you have wired WIFI, check your usage and see if that is available on your plan from the WIFI provider you plan to use.
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » February 19, 2021, 2:24 pm

Thanks Whistles.

I bought a business grade Dell laptop (refurb) while I was in Oz, and after taking the back off today, discovered it had WWAN module - which I was interested in learning more about.

To cut a long story short, after updating the driver I inserted my mobile phone SIM into the lappy, and hey presto - I was online with 4G LTE after some minor fiddling around.

TrueMove H is pretty ----- around where I live, so the 10Mbps data download will never compete with my 500/500 internet package. It is, however, a handy backup in case the internet goes down.

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » February 19, 2021, 2:43 pm

Just looked up the definitions of WWAN = bit confusing? Not sure if we are talking the same thing but as a back up to wifi I use my Smart Phone "tethered" to my notebook via the USB Port, get 4G connection speed but can be expensive if your into heavy streaming. I buy a one day pass with AIS about 17 Baht, more than enough bandwidth during the time my 3BB fibre optic is down (which is rarely).

I probably stream 15 hours of NetFlix or Sling live sport per week, Mrs Dero has her soaps streaming endlessly and who knows what step daughter is watching. No Problem for my 631.3 Baht/month 3BB Package.
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

Return to “Computers, IT & Electronics”