iPhone vs the others

Technical Questions & Discussions about Computers, IT & electronics.
glalt
udonmap.com

iPhone vs the others

Post by glalt » March 15, 2021, 12:47 pm

I have been making fun of the iPhone lemmings for years. Would I EVER pay a thousand dollars for any phone? Not in this lifetime. However, I was willing to pay half price to try an iPhone. I just ordered a refurbished iPhone X for 14,800 baht Why the iPhone X? Actually I was attracted to the shiny stainless steel frame as well as reading many good reviews. Now I'll see for myself if this phone lives up to the iPhone reputation. That and my wife has never had an Apple phone but it is high on her wish list.

As a side note, our two Xiaomi phones have been great. Her Xiaomi Mi 5 has had a hard life. It now has a couple vertical lines on the screen, probably from being dropped too many times. The battery also needs replaced even though the phone keeps working OK. I'll be curious to see how this iPhone compares with her Mi5. Her previous phone was a Samsung S5. It was a true lemon. I bought the Mi 5 Xiaomi for her to use while the piece of crap Samsung was in the shop for the second time. When the S5 came back she told me to use it because the Mi 5 was a better phone. I used the S5 until it died again. I bounced it off the wall so I wouldn't be tempted to have it repaired again.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Re: iPhone vs the others

Post by stattointhailand » March 15, 2021, 1:23 pm

I think using the old Sami as px on your new phone would have been a better idea, although not anywhere near as much fun (even a broken non working phone would get a few hundred off)

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » March 15, 2021, 1:26 pm

I'll be interested in your iPhone experience after a previous Android life. About 6 years ago, Mrs tam succumbed to the peer pressure on "superior" iPhone's and treated herself with whatever was hot back then. She said she wasn't overly impressed and when she lost it at a market some ten months later, she went back to (rubbish) Samsung. She has since tried Xiaomi (she said rubbish camera) before she lost that. Then she invested in a 'paeng' Samsung that she was super pleased with... until it fell into the lake while fishing.

I was gifted a iPad from a client which I gave to her. Once again, she wasn't overly impressed after all those years of Android devices including tablets. I avoid them but would be genuinely interested to see if you find the Apple life any better.

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » March 15, 2021, 1:49 pm

One of the most important things for my wife is the phone camera. Her older Mi 5 has a very good camera while my cheaper Xiaomi has an inferior camera compared to hers. The Samsung S5 had a good camera when the phone was actually working. The iPhones are supposed to have very good cameras. I'll let you know what she thinks of the iPhone.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » March 15, 2021, 1:57 pm

^ Yes, I have heard a couple of Thai iPhone owners say the camera is what they like the best.

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » March 15, 2021, 3:20 pm

We entered the Apple ecosystem when iPhone 3 was released so 13 years ago. Crikey, seems longer.
We haven’t been included to leave yet

joepai
udonmap.com

Post by joepai » March 16, 2021, 4:53 pm

For most it's just for showing off, all my missus uses hers for is taking photos, Line and FB - what a waste
I was born with nothing and still have most of it left

deankham
udonmap.com

Post by deankham » March 16, 2021, 7:23 pm

The wife and daughter are both on Oppo phones now. They are both happy with them

Both have had iPhones. Wife's one had camera problems and they would not fix it under warranty (bought in different country) and daughter tripped over and threw hers into a fountain. Put it in a box of rice for a month and it's been working fine since (in the mean time got her an Oppo and have now given the iPhone to my dad, who sill does not know how the speaker works).

In my humble opinion the latest iPhones and Samsungs are overpriced and overspec'd. Plus they are designed to slow down after a couple of years so your hooked into buying the new versions.

I long for the day I don't have to work anymore and can leave my phone at home and not be glued to the fooking thing.

marcus1
udonmap.com

Post by marcus1 » March 16, 2021, 11:07 pm

I bought what I thought was a Huawei 40 mate 4 weeks ago at the amazing price of 1000 Baht including delivery to your door (Lazada)....I thought the price could not be right but hey why not take a risk..!!! (There many ways to spell Huawei)
As i found out there was no branding on the phone....But hey, what a great phone.
It's 5G...10 core...6G Ram.. 128g memory and 5 camera's.
The phone is the best I have had....Super fast...Brilliant photo's.
Very very happy for the price paid.
Just go's to show you do not need to pay top dollar now days for a top spec phone.
YKICAMOOCOW

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » March 17, 2021, 10:31 am

Our problem would be being unable to escape the Apple Ecosystem without great cost after this length of time.
Lots of the portals & apps we use regularly & have become accustomed to aren’t available on Android or if they are I’d have to pay again to start afresh.
This is clearly what Apple intended to do, snare customers & keep them.
Having said that, I don’t really want to escape as can’t fault the devices, apps or service
Age & treachery will always triumph over youth & ability

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » March 17, 2021, 11:13 am

marcus1 wrote:
March 16, 2021, 11:07 pm
I bought what I thought was a Huawei 40 mate 4 weeks ago at the amazing price of 1000 Baht including delivery to your door (Lazada)....I thought the price could not be right but hey why not take a risk..!!! (There many ways to spell Huawei)
As i found out there was no branding on the phone....But hey, what a great phone.
It's 5G...10 core...6G Ram.. 128g memory and 5 camera's.
The phone is the best I have had....Super fast...Brilliant photo's.
Very very happy for the price paid.
Just go's to show you do not need to pay top dollar now days for a top spec phone.
Good luck with your phone and it's (apparently) 1 camera. :D

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » March 17, 2021, 1:26 pm

I really should have saved my money. The best thing about the phone is that it has a really great camera. I have used Android and even a Windows phone for a lot of years. I'm not at all impressed with the VERY steep Apple learning curve. It is not intuitive at all. Other than the camera, the iPhone sucks.

My stubborn wife is still insisting on the new iPhone 12 Mini.

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » March 17, 2021, 8:08 pm

I guess I must have got familiar with the Apple IOS.

I spent the last 25 years using Windows platforms at work so had the same on home computers. When I found myself joining the ranks of the great unwashed I bought a Mac & love it

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » March 17, 2021, 9:28 pm

glalt wrote:
March 17, 2021, 1:26 pm

I'm not at all impressed with the VERY steep Apple learning curve.
There is a “steep” (actually it should be shallow, as in taking a long time to learn) learning curve when switching from a smartphone one system to another it takes months or longer to switch, to be reasonably competent if you’ve never used the new system, as I found out when I was virtually given an android phone, since I’ve been using iPads since gen. 3 though I hadn’t had a smartphone till the android 2 years ago that developed a fault so was only used for a month. My first new smartphone is the SE 2 that I’ve had for about 10 months. Leaning time a couple of days.

So both systems are not at all simple, though iOS is much more consistent when changing from app to app as to how they work, android apps change enough that you can’t be confident that the same function works the same way in every app.

YMMV this is my experience, and I’m not an inexperienced user.

Would I get the Android phone fixed. Possibly but only if it wasn’t very expensive. So far the one place I took it to in central said no chance of repair as did Samsung. Would I buy an another android almost certainly not.

FWIW the iPhone cameras are not better than android ones but the processing makes the pictures you take phenomenal if you are a good photographer.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » March 18, 2021, 9:12 am

I'm not a good photographer but the pictures I take with the smart phone are exceptional. Both the regular and telephoto settings automatically stabilize. I checked for IOS updates and the iPhone X has updated itself to 14.4.1. I still think Android is much easier to setup.

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » March 18, 2021, 10:35 am

I like the feature of asking Siri to take a picture so you don’t have to fumble around opening the phone & finding the camera app.
You still have to press the shutter but it’s so much quicker

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » March 18, 2021, 10:37 am

I have Karen to do that for me

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » March 18, 2021, 7:14 pm

I downloaded some music with iTunes to my phone. I was irritated that I couldn't figure out how to play the music I finally asked Siri to play music. The music immediately started playing. From there I figured out how to open music without Siri. I still haven't figured out how to copy photos from my PC to the phone. Little simple things for Android are very difficult with IOS. Why is putting shortcuts on the home screen so difficult?

I suppose that in enough time, I'll figure out the mysteries and quirks of Apple phones.

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » March 18, 2021, 8:45 pm

glalt wrote:
March 18, 2021, 7:14 pm
I downloaded some music with iTunes to my phone. I was irritated that I couldn't figure out how to play the music I finally asked Siri to play music. The music immediately started playing. From there I figured out how to open music without Siri. I still haven't figured out how to copy photos from my PC to the phone. Little simple things for Android are very difficult with IOS. Why is putting shortcuts on the home screen so difficult?

I suppose that in enough time, I'll figure out the mysteries and quirks of Apple phones.
Try Apple Music. I think you get the first 3 months free. I couldn’t do without it, never even considered unsubscribing when the free period ended.

iCloud photos let’s you sync all photos across every device. No need to copy across

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » March 18, 2021, 9:13 pm

I did sign up for the iCloud. As far as music, I probably have a thousand songs on my computer and am able to put them on the iPhone. Utube also works so I see no reason to pay for any music.

Return to “Computers, IT & Electronics”