Windows 11

Technical Questions & Discussions about Computers, IT & electronics.
glalt
udonmap.com

Windows 11

Post by glalt » October 17, 2021, 10:20 am

I am using an older HP ProDesk computer. It is quite fast. I have upgraded the RAM to 16 GB. I had two RAM boards that I salvaged from a computer that the main board finally died so I put them in the HP. The CPU is an i5 4670. It is plenty fast for me and faster than Windows 11 requires. It is simply too old. I will NOT be upgrading to Windows 11. The CPU is not supported even though it is plenty fast. No way will I buy a new computer just to use the new Windows. Microsoft says the CPU needs something called TPM and that CPU doesn't support TPM.

bluejets
udonmap.com

Re: Windows 11

Post by bluejets » October 17, 2021, 6:23 pm

Yes, the least they could have done would have been to make it an option.
All this encryption decryption for your protection and we'll shove it in whether you like it or not.
I can recall windows doing a software upgrade a while back where FTDI clone chips were rendered useless.
Didn't take long before they had to pull their head in and re-instate clone support.
Don't be surprised if the same happens here.

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » October 17, 2021, 6:53 pm

I'm quite happy with my HP computer but still have my trusty old Dell. I fired the Dell up today and found that it could run Windows 11. That turned out to be BS. I wasted more than two hours downloading Win 11. During the install Microsoft told me my computer was not able to run Windows 11. I enabled the TPM but it is the the wrong version. Windows 10 works fine on both the HP and the Dell. No windows 11 for me.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » October 17, 2021, 7:06 pm

There are a number of (not difficult) hacks appearing that will allow the installation of W11 on otherwise non-compliant computers.

The big question that has yet to be answered (and for which I am waiting) is whether these hacked devices will receive W11 updates. And may be complicated a little further if your W10 version is not kosher.

I'm happy to hold off for a while, particularly as there is nothing wrong with W10.

Shado
udonmap.com

Post by Shado » October 17, 2021, 7:32 pm

I understand that Windows 10 will be supported until Oct. 14, 2025. I'll most likely be purchasing a new laptop within the next four years and it will come loaded with Windows 11. Unless a very good reason arises to make my current laptop Win11 compliant I think I just mosey along with what I have now.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » October 17, 2021, 8:56 pm

jackspratt wrote:
October 17, 2021, 7:06 pm
There are a number of (not difficult) hacks appearing that will allow the installation of W11 on otherwise non-compliant computers.

The big question that has yet to be answered (and for which I am waiting) is whether these hacked devices will receive W11 updates. And may be complicated a little further if your W10 version is not kosher.

I'm happy to hold off for a while, particularly as there is nothing wrong with W10.
I recall reading that MS have already said that W11 updates will only be available to fully TPM hardware compliant machines. W11 will run on other, non-TPM machines but will not get any updates.
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » October 17, 2021, 9:02 pm

My lappy is TPM compliant (2.0), but has a 6th generation CPU (not compliant).

So I await further developments.

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » October 18, 2021, 6:11 am

jackspratt wrote:
October 17, 2021, 7:06 pm

My Xp SP3 still working a treat as well! :shock:
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » October 18, 2021, 9:51 am

No Windows 11 for me. Both my old commercial computers, a Dell Precision and the HP ProDesk, are likely faster than many new computers. Neither one is supported and cannot use Windows 11. Both machines will probably last for five more years until Win 10 support is expired.

Airportwo
udonmap.com

Post by Airportwo » October 18, 2021, 11:23 am

I moved to Linux about three months ago after 25 years of windows, far less hassle than I anticipated, should have done it years ago, windows "upgrades make no difference to the consumer, just gives them more info and ability to mine out information.

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » October 19, 2021, 9:27 am

I did away with Win 10 on my old VERY slow Acer laptop. I installed Ubuntu and it is still VERY slow. I DID put an SSD drive in the laptop (big hassle) and there is not much difference. I also had to replace the keypad. I use an expensive Huawei tablet when I travel so the Acer is no longer used anyways. The tablet has great speakers and is fast. I had to drag along external speakers for the weak speakers in the laptop. I put a new battery in the Acer but battery life is still pathetic.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » November 14, 2021, 4:31 pm

While covid marooned in the US last year, I bought a Microsoft Surface Pro laptop. This morning, I had a bootup message offering a free upgrade to Windows 11. I chanced it.......took about 90 minutes of downloading/auto rebooting, but in the end, the upgrade went as smooth as the one I received when I upgraded to Windows 10 (also for free) back in 2015.
My 6ish year old desktop is still on Windows 10......never a problem, virus free, spam free, no spyware/malware programs running (other than what's offered as part of Windows 10). It auto-updates from time to time, but I've never had a problem with any of those either.

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » November 14, 2021, 7:05 pm

When this Covid disaster runs its course, I'll be taking the HP Prodesk to my condo in Jomtien. I was using it until a few days ago. I decided that because the Dell is a bit faster, probably because of the SSD. The Dell has 8 GB RAM and that appears to be plenty. I thought about taking a RAM board out of the 16 GB HP but decided it wasn't worth the hassle.

ADDED - I may have a difficult time getting the old HP away from my wife. She is using it instead of her slow HP All One. She told me to take her All In One HP and keep the old HP here.

Return to “Computers, IT & Electronics”