Air conditioners.

Technical Questions & Discussions about Computers, IT & electronics.
Old Grumpy
udonmap.com

Air conditioners.

Post by Old Grumpy » April 30, 2022, 4:09 pm

After 14 years my Samsung AC has given up the ghost and needs replacing. I don;t want to get another samsung as it has always been rather noisy and spares difficult to get, so looking around I see a LG 18000 at homepro with a good discount on offer . First question is has anyone experience with this make and secondly it says it has an inverter, is this a good thing and exactly what does that do, that one without can .sorry if i seem ignorant but its been a long time since I bought one of these things and they have changed so much I would appreciate a few tips from someone with more experience.Further recomendations would be appreciated .

Age is a matter of mind.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.
Mark Twain,

mak
udonmap.com

Re: Air conditioners.

Post by mak » April 30, 2022, 4:35 pm

An inverter AC is the way to go. Energy efficient.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » April 30, 2022, 4:50 pm

We bought 4 ACs from Nimit Air (3 Daikin inverters, 1 non inverter) probably 7 years ago. Good service, no problems, and their technicians seem to know what they're doing (in other words, after install, no issues. When we call the company for periodic cleanings, at least one of the people who come is a certified ac guy). If we need another AC in the future, we'll probably go with Nimit again.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » April 30, 2022, 5:26 pm

Inverter units are more efficient but can be less so or possibly prone to failure if the home electrical supply isn't steady and/or is less than 210 V. They have more complex control circuitry which can be upwards of 2500 baht to replace.

Check if prices include installation. Most do but usually only includes what's in the box (standard 4 m pipework) and any extra piping, draining and all the duct work will be "extra". Otherwise, installation charges should not be more than 2000 baht.

For info, I bought a 10k btu system on lazada from a supplier in Loei. Price, including shipping, was 9170 baht and was 2-day delivery. I installed it myself but had the "professionals" come and do the pipe hook-up, vacuum and charge which cost me 1500 baht for their 20 minutes work. The ducting, drain and interconnecting cable was about another 500 baht. The same unit from Global was 12995 baht plus installation.

The brand I recommend is Midea and they have an 18k btu system in their "Forest" range of inverter systems, same range as I bought from.
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

Potamoi
udonmap.com
Location: Halfway between Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch and Ona-i-Lau

Post by Potamoi » April 30, 2022, 7:53 pm

I have two big ceiling mounted 3 phase 30,000 BTU Daikin monsters, three single phase 9,000 btu Mr. Slim Mitsu's, two Panasonic inverter models (18,000 and 12,000 btu) in the house since 2009 and two Samsung 12,000 BTU "Virus Doctor" models in our little factory since 2016.

Although I am typically a fan of most Samsung products, the Samsung AirCons are the only ones I have had to change major components on more than once. In the interest of total transparency, the office ones run 9 hours a day 300 days a year, the Panasonic 18,000 model runs every night and a few days a week when I am at home. One of the monster Daikin's run about 3-4 hours on average per day/evening when home. The rest (Mr. Slims) very rarely run (guest rooms, workshop) unless the nephew is with us say 40 days a year).

The next one(s) I buy will likely be inverter LG, Mitsu or Panasonic. I may look at Daikin too but will research a bit more prior to another purchase. If were to buy some for a new built home, I would consider a multi-split with a single split secondary or two multi-split systems for redundancy depending on number of rooms since only one outdoor section for each of the multi's could lead to a single point of failure for three AirCons.

Good insulation would also (again) be a part of the build as I can tell the difference when I come home after a hot day away when compared to uninsulated homes/offices.
I fear the man who drinks water and so remembers this morning what the rest of us said last night
Benjamin Franklin

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to talk and remove all doubt
Maurice Switzer *(assumed)

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » April 30, 2022, 10:54 pm

Remember that a vapour barrier along with insulation is an important part to any build. Have a read on why it is

https://www.insulation-info.co.uk/vapou ... %20through.

bluejets
udonmap.com

Post by bluejets » May 1, 2022, 5:30 am

Old Grumpy wrote:
April 30, 2022, 4:09 pm
it says it has an inverter, is this a good thing and exactly what does that do, that one without can .
The older style air con were a basic motor controlled by a thermostat.
When the unit first turned on, the motor starts, usually at large starting currents, and once the set temperature is reached, the thermostat turns the compressor motor and condenser fan off.
This used to be a problem where long cable runs were concerned due to voltage drop.

Inverter units run continuously at varying speeds.
The speed is dependant on the amount of cooling required.
At startup, the unit ramps up the speed gradually so the previous "large starting currents" are no longer present.
End result is a more cost efficient system overall in so far as running is concerned.
There is naturally the added cost/complexity of the controls which normally is of no concern while everything runs as it should.
This becomes costly when things break, as manufacturers primarily would prefer you to "buy a new one" so any "complex control board" which might actually cost pennies to produce due to the many that are produced, are in fact charged out at a high price. Air con systems are not alone here. Automotive/ appliance/motorcycle makers have been doing it since forever. Added note here that these complex systems do not like large voltage fluctuations and brown outs at all.

We have a few LG units in Khon Kaen house which have worked well for the last 5 or 6 years now.
Installation by the supplier was quick and price more than reasonable.
I do rac installs here in Aus but for the price in Thailand, wouldn't even bother getting the tools out.
Plus if it's anything like other places, if you play with it yourself and not a registered installer, you tend to void warranty.

pepesgrill
udonmap.com

Post by pepesgrill » May 1, 2022, 5:48 am

im envious of your hvac knowledge bluejets. i
think you need a part in designing own system

i clearly remember the old days with window mount ac units( running r-12 ?) that could turn a
room into an icebox

this current gen of split systems with these boxes
mounted high on wall. they seem so weak ? but
then possibly thats down to service/install :-k

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 1, 2022, 8:59 am

The only (previous) inverter aircon in the castle, an LG unit installed by a "registered installer", was the only one to go on the fritz. Admittedly, it was a gecko that fried on the 2700 baht control board but that unit had a torrid time with the low voltages that prevailed at casa tam before the PEA grid upgrade last April. I have subsequently "critter-proofed" the spendy electronics on the outside unit. It works great on the rock solid 225V we have now.

The wiring between the evaporator and condenser units on the other, older, non-inverter Hitachi air-conditioner was only 1.5 mm. The "registered installer" on that job used what was cheaper and got the job done rather what was required for operational efficiency. Wiring since replaced, a 30 minute DIY job (with a ladder).

Don't get me started on how these "registered installers" provisioned for good grounds but when it comes to wire, VAF is not the same as VAF-G.

These imperfect, earlier installations were done by the same professionals contracted by PowerBuy, Global House and others. This was also a reason I went DIY on the latest installation.

Admittedly, DIY is not in everyone's purview but air-conditioners and their installation isn't rocket surgery either. However, it's very easy for local artisans to cut corners and diminish the efficiency of the installation. As in everything in Thailand, watch what they're doing and do some research on what their supposed to use.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Potamoi
udonmap.com
Location: Halfway between Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch and Ona-i-Lau

Post by Potamoi » May 1, 2022, 12:25 pm

I think I have had at least 2 air con boards, a hob hood, a few fan switches and a washing machine fail from geckos over the years.
tamada wrote:
May 1, 2022, 8:59 am
The only (previous) inverter aircon in the castle, an LG unit installed by a "registered installer", was the only one to go on the fritz. Admittedly, it was a gecko that fried on the 2700 baht control board but that unit had a torrid time with the low voltages that prevailed at casa tam before the PEA grid upgrade last April. I have subsequently "critter-proofed" the spendy electronics on the outside unit. It works great on the rock solid 225V we have now.
Can you elaborate on the "critter proofing" you did? Was it a matter of using expansion foam to close entrances or using deterrents like moth balls etc? - cheers
I fear the man who drinks water and so remembers this morning what the rest of us said last night
Benjamin Franklin

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to talk and remove all doubt

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 1, 2022, 3:50 pm

^ Since the gecko nuked itself on the solder-side of the control pcb, I thought about getting some epoxy and painting that side making for thicker insulation. It was easier just to get some plastic corrugated sheet, cut to shape and tape that on instead. I did as much sealing of the card cage as I could without dismantling the unit but it's already harder for a critter to get to the component-side of the pcb so hoping it works.

Since my new unit is mounted on rubber shocks and off the ground by 5", maybe I should critter-proof it as well.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Potamoi
udonmap.com

Post by Potamoi » May 2, 2022, 7:41 am

Good idea RE the solder side of boards. I snuck in a mothball or two in the latest Samsung repair but I like your idea better on the more expensive boards.
Benjamin Franklin

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » May 2, 2022, 8:14 pm

Old Grumpy wrote:
April 30, 2022, 4:09 pm
After 14 years my Samsung AC has given up the ghost and needs replacing. I don;t want to get another samsung as it has always been rather noisy and spares difficult to get, so looking around I see a LG 18000 at homepro with a good discount on offer . First question is has anyone experience with this make and secondly it says it has an inverter, is this a good thing and exactly what does that do, that one without can .sorry if i seem ignorant but its been a long time since I bought one of these things and they have changed so much I would appreciate a few tips from someone with more experience.Further recomendations would be appreciated .
I bought a Panasonic inverter for my computer room. It never did work correctly and the serviceman told me it was working properly. After 13 months it quit working. Panasonic refused to answer my email complaints throughout the year and the Home Pro serviceman wanted 8,500 baht for a new circuit board. There was no warranty on the new board. I now have two LG inverter units in the house and a regular LG in my Jomtien condo. So far, so good.

Old Grumpy
udonmap.com

Post by Old Grumpy » May 2, 2022, 8:49 pm

I have been in touch with Standard Cooling Service, main Daikin dealers, after giving them all my details and requirements they have recommended a Daikin 18000 btu with inverter unit at a price of 24000bht fitted, which is in my price range so I'm going into their showroom tomorrow to see it .many thanks for all your replies and suggestions they have been a great help.
Age is a matter of mind.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.
Mark Twain,

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 2, 2022, 10:01 pm

Good deal OG. We had Daikin in our first build and they served well. My buddy in Pattaya just had a rush air-conditioning job done when a tenant suddenly popped up for his long unoccupied rental property. It needed the 28kbtu unit replaced ASAP and he paid 25k baht installed for a York split inverter unit. Another legacy brand name.

FWIW, most air conditioners, regardless of brand, are assembled under one roof in large factories, a lot of them in China. Different manufacturers have different specs and components but assembly is common. Once you pop the fancy plastic shroud, they're all much of a muchness. They have their own sexy names like "copper core" or "magic eye" for common technologies and how the ways some implement their cooling methods aren't proprietary.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

mak
udonmap.com

Post by mak » March 29, 2023, 2:10 pm

You know you paid too much when the boss comes to survey the site driving a white BMW SUV.

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » March 30, 2023, 5:11 pm

We had a second hand Panasonic air-conditioner about 10 years ago. Worked OK until the remote expired, couldn't get a new remote in Thailand (according to the repair man), quoted 1500 baht for one from Japan and 2 months delivery!
Said forget it. Found we could turn on manually bit that involved climbing on a chair. Eventually developed another problem 2 years later so bought a new one.

We now have a 9 year old electrolux (not inverter) and 2 Haier inverters. Inverters are more energy efficient but maybe not as robust, and more expensive to repair. The Haiers have a 5 year warranty and so far no problems (less than 5 years old). Haiers are not as expensive, our latest is 13,000 BTU for 14,000 baht .

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » March 30, 2023, 6:34 pm

After having one for 4 years just installed 2 more 13000 BTU, LG Dual Inverter units into our home = 32 k Baht all up. Thinking I oversized them for the 4 x 4 sq metre rooms but very impressed with the quite operation. Just had 4 x 40+ degC days in a row and they cruised through it. - Timber framed area with "Shera Wood" weather cladding, no insulation and simple internal wall cladding.
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » March 30, 2023, 7:06 pm

Our latest was a 13,000 BTU Haier installed also last week - Yai for the first time ever said the lounge was too hot (and she would pay for half, itself a record breaking event!). Totally undersized for 60 sqm, but still knocked 7-8 degrees off and made it quite liveable.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 31, 2023, 1:05 pm

It looks like the fourth bedroom at my castle will getting an air-conditioner installed this week. That's our Yai's domain and after 66 years, if she reckons it's just two darn hot, then I guess global warming is real. Then again, maybe she's been chatting with rick's Yai?

I will be buying a Midea 12k BTU unit from wangasapung air in Loei via lazada and get the neighbors kid to install and gas it up. He works with a local aircon company and did the gas fill on the smaller Midea unit I installed last year in my man cave. I would install the new one but that's a working-at-height job and Mrs tam forbids me from going anywhere near a ladder.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Return to “Computers, IT & Electronics”