Keylogger to spy on tg/tw - justifiable ?

Long distance relationships, mixed relationships etc...
plien
udonmap.com

Keylogger to spy on tg/tw - justifiable ?

Post by plien » August 30, 2009, 12:46 am

Hi all

Is it ever a good thing to install a keylogger to see what your tg/tw has been up to ?

Plien

MALC
udonmap.com

Re: Keylogger - justifiable ?

Post by MALC » August 30, 2009, 1:39 am

hi plein whats a key logger. and where does one buy one malc

thewatchman
udonmap.com

Post by thewatchman » August 30, 2009, 1:57 am

key loggers record every key stroke made on a pc or laptop, they can let you see what web sites have been accesed and users passwords ect!!! usually in the form of a usb pen so all data can then be read on another pc. try ebay plenty on there!! hope this helps.
laughing at the occasional visitor and failed taxi drivers

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » August 30, 2009, 2:16 am

keyloggers can be a physical device inserted between the keyboard connector and the PC keyborad receptacle or a software program.. both are designed to capture the computer's keystrokes and be recovered later.. So, anything typed into a computer; login's, passwords, websites, etc. can all be reviewed by whoever has access to the keylogging device. While the original posting is looking at the ethics of tracking his partner's on-line activities, keylogging is primarily used by hackers and other disreputable folk to steal log-in's and passwords for various financial accounts. So, in that respect always be wary of any PC that is not your own when accessing your financial websites. On the ethical side of it, well, that's up to you..

see Wikipedia article on keylogging: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keylogger
Dave

plien
udonmap.com

Post by plien » August 30, 2009, 2:45 am

Yes Frazee, think you`re right all the way. I want to add that many parents use it now to get a grip of what their kids are up to on the internet. A keylogger can be downloaded and installed from the net.

But yes, I was looking for different views on the ethics of using it to track our tilacs activities online.

Plien

banpaeng
udonmap.com

Post by banpaeng » August 30, 2009, 4:39 am

Once you even ask this question you should go visit a divorce lawyer. If one trust his Wife girlfriend that you have to find a keylogger, run don't walk to get out of that relationship, as trust is gone.

Also one must ask what she would find if she followed yourself around the internet.

lighspur1
udonmap.com

Post by lighspur1 » August 30, 2009, 5:16 am

Make no apologies for covering your arse, if you feel the need to use one to protect yourself and your interests use it. Just my opinion.

Farang1
udonmap.com

Post by Farang1 » August 30, 2009, 5:19 am

plien wrote:Hi all

Is it ever a good thing to install a keylogger to see what your tg/tw has been up to ?

Plien
Moral and ethical questions aside, it really depends on if you are afraid fo what you might find.
SNAFU

rjj04
udonmap.com

Post by rjj04 » August 30, 2009, 6:53 am

I built and used one before. I had justification due to a past problem and "signs." Saved me from further lies and could be quite useful in a courtroom ;) Can still remember the stunning look on the face of the heartless b...h. :shock: In the end, I am satisfied I did the right thing and do not have regret. Only regret was being a sucker in the first place.... but now suffer from total distrust of women syndrome. What you find might shock you, believe me, beyond what I could have imagined at the time.

Problem now is inventing a logger that is a clipon device... these damn notebook computers :razz:

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » August 30, 2009, 7:38 am

Personally if you don't let the girlfriend/wife have access it really doesn't matter does it.
My computor ( both of them) need password to log on at all, if the gf/w is going to lie she will have to go out to do it, as her security of tenure is based on my wallet, then closing the wallet can have the desired effect, there is a case for keeping said lady computor illiterate then no worries at all. My wife is such a person despite many requests to tbe taught. I go deaf then.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » August 30, 2009, 8:04 am

Would you open and read her (snail) mail?

Would it be justifiable for her to install a keylogger to keep track of you?

Would a reasonable person make the decision to deliberately keep their wife ignorant? :roll:

rjj04
udonmap.com

Post by rjj04 » August 30, 2009, 9:14 am

jackspratt wrote:Would you open and read her (snail) mail?

Would it be justifiable for her to install a keylogger to keep track of you?

Would a reasonable person make the decision to deliberately keep their wife ignorant? :roll:
Answers to above questions (IMHO)..
1) Yes, if "justifiable" and thought necessary. Once you have been sentenced to murdering with a gun, does society allow you to own a gun again? In a sane country, NO! This is only monitoring, not withdrawing access to something.
2) Yes, if I did something in the past to deserve mistrust. Could be a tool for me to regain trust once lost.
3) No, if he/she/he/she/it has no reason whatsoever to believe she/he/he/she/? is untrustworthy.

banpaeng
udonmap.com

Post by banpaeng » August 30, 2009, 9:48 am

So right Jack so right. If you have to use outside moves to catch someone, then the jig is up anyway. When your he/she/it finds out you did this, even if innocent, most will leave anyway. Guys and gals, the word is still called trust. If trust is gone in a relationship, it is dead.

Now can you have a live in and no trust. I have seen it but they both spent hours and a lot of money to say caught you. Not my cup of tea.

Now to give the flip side a bit of leeway, most relationships in Thailand are communication challenged. Some folks are able to overcome this (which builds trust) and some turn to their own to find communication and happiness. This could be friends, family or even outside boy/girl friend. I have seen this before that the person was actually innocent of misdeeds, only looking for someone to talk to. It caused tremendous mistrust in the spouse and the couple were doomed. They did not overcome it.

As stated above, right or wrong, once one side of the couple decides the other is being unfaithful, most likely the relationship is doomed. Again it is trust.

Philrjones
udonmap.com

Post by Philrjones » August 30, 2009, 10:46 am

Hi,

Instead of a logger and assuming most TW haven't got much of a clue about PC's, try this.

Either:

Look at the internet history - select Favourites, then History.

or

Tools, Internet Options, and make sure the General tab is shown. (The next bit depends on the version of IE you have, but they're mostly the same).

Then select Settings under the View Browsing History - if you get a message "The amount of disk space....." etc, ignore it and hit cancel. Up comes a new box with Move Folder, View Objects and View Files. Select the View Files.

All the cookies, web pages, gifs etc will then be presented in a new window. You can trawl through that if you wish. It will tell you where the PC has visited since last it was "cleaned", i.e. something Windows Washer was run. If you don't know what that is, don't worry - worth looking on the web though - it get's rid of crap from the PC like all the files above and frees up space.

A quick way to clean things up is:

Open up Windows Explorer
On the left, click on My Computer
Right click on the C drive shown
From the menu shown, select Properties at the bottom
On the General Tab, select Disk Cleanup
The PC will take a few mins to have a look around then come back to you wth a list of where it can clean up. You can select/deselect what you want cleaning. The Compress Files can take a while, so you may want to uncheck that. Then click OK, and wait for it to finish.

If you haven't done defragging in a while, here's how to do it.
Open up Windows Explorer
On the left, click on My Computer
Right click on the C drive shown
From the menu shown, select Properties at the bottom
Go to the Tools tab
Under Degfragmentation select Degragment Now
A box pops up - select Analyze
PC will go and look if you need it or not and come back with a message whther you should do it or not.If not, just close out of everything. If yes, set the thing going - can take quite a while to do and I recommend doing the cleanup thing first as above.

If you don't know, think of defragging as this: - You have a filing cabinet for all your paperwork with multiple folders in there, one for bills, one for car, etc. Say you have a form for your car that has 2 parts to it and you take one part off and mistakenly file it in another folder. When you need the form, you need both parts so it's going to take you a while to find them again. Nearly the same thing with the PC - when you delete a file, add new stuff, it gets put all over the place and a single file can become fragmented - hence the term defragmented which is like putting them together again. Speeds things up for your PC. Don't do it all the time though - PC doen't like that, but perhaps once every month or 2.

Cheers
Phil

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » August 30, 2009, 10:53 am

This may be old fashioned but how about discussing your concerns with the wife.?There may very well be a simple explanation for what you are worrying about. Going the spying route will only lead to further problems not even connected with your initial concerns.
Ageing is a privilige denied to many .

rjj04
udonmap.com

Re: Keylogger to spy on tg/tw - justifiable ?

Post by rjj04 » August 30, 2009, 11:54 am

trubrit wrote:This may be old fashioned but how about discussing your concerns with the wife.?There may very well be a simple explanation for what you are worrying about. Going the spying route will only lead to further problems not even connected with your initial concerns.
Discussion - yes, agreed. If there is no reason to believe that she is lying to you about the subject at hand, why not. But if there is prior cause, and you attempt a discussion and get the non-communicative response, what is one to do then but assume. But yes, otherwise, wise and morally correct to not go the spy route.

Trust is a fleeting thing... and when love tries to keep you trusting... it can lead to a very bad ending.

Moral... discuss first but...
1) If attempt to discuss the subject is rejected out of hand
or
2) you get a completely unsatisfactory answer

then what?
cut and run, create/maintain emotional distance hoping the inevitable doesn't happen, attempt to ascertain the truth post-haste, or employ the ostrich algorithm?

rickfarang
udonmap.com

Post by rickfarang » August 30, 2009, 11:56 am

Plien ,

Yes, it could be a good thing. It could save your relationship, in addition to other possible benefits already advantages above.

You didn't ask about ethics, apparently you are ok in that department.

seymourbutts
udonmap.com

Post by seymourbutts » August 30, 2009, 12:07 pm

I suppose it could re-enforce trust too!! What have you been doing on the computer darling. blah blah blah, check and she comes up trumps, happy ending!!!
But ethically i think really she is entitled to her privacy, and snooping doesnt make her a bad person but certainly makes you one..

rjj04
udonmap.com

Post by rjj04 » August 30, 2009, 1:07 pm

Snooping makes you a bad person.. hmmmm so... those bad FBI blokes sneaking around for terrorists... how dare they suspect, they have little to no evidence, why do they want to know... they should be good blokes and stay out of our lives... then all will be well and happiness will prevail :D If only the world were so pure as to not need a bit of suspicion. At what level of pain is it acceptable to "snoop?" If somebody who has committed terrorism before, has begun to exhibit behaviour similar to that of the previous terrorist attack, you should ignore it?

I may be a bad person, but not for that reason to be sure. I have never "hacked" anyone on a computer, I mind to my own business, live and let live, and except for this one case, have never "snooped" on anybody let alone my significant other. Fool me once shame on you... reality strikes.

Ethics versus Morality ... oooh hurts my head to try to remember :confused: where is that dictionary again

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » August 30, 2009, 1:16 pm

Do those FBI blokes have a relationship based on trust and intimacy with suspected terrorists?

What a red herring, rjj04 :roll:

Return to “Relationships”