Why l left the good old US of A

Long distance relationships, mixed relationships etc...
trekkertony
udonmap.com

Post by trekkertony » December 2, 2011, 5:59 pm

Manadon
udonmap.com

Post by Manadon » December 2, 2011, 10:37 pm

Trekkertony, Can you explain yourself a bit more (elaborate, why?) . I think from the video, maybe you do not like country music, or"bossy" women or so much make-up, they look like clowns?
Why I left the good ol' USA.? The foods were killing me, with overloads of sodiums, msgs, chemicals. And this goes for Produce also, so many chemicals sprayed on these things. Another...this corrupt "Empire" which is actually controlled by Elites who don't even live in the US, has been "used" for years to corrupt and enslave peoples and Nations around the world. Another...I prefere not to live in a 24hr Police State with eyes on me all the time. My rights are being taken away.
Cost of living is unbelievable, quality of living is "unbelievable". The US lives on its Gov. substidised Mc Donalds francises.
I could go one and on, but let me end my posting by saying "I left the US because I have found the Thai people and way of living, to be very warm to me and the girls are the most beautiful, if you are fortunate to find one who will support you as you support her, I think you will find this relationship to be more fulfilling than any one you will find in the US. US people have been brainwashed for so many years to believe "they" are in the land of the free and all others are beneith them. We gave up "the free things in life" to pursue materialism. In Thailand, I feel alive and I again enjoy the free things in life.
I have been coming here for over 20 years and married a Thai in the 90's while living in the US. Now married again, to a Thai, and I might say, a beautiful hearted woman. Yes, I did not want to take the milk for free, I bought the cow. :lol:
please don't "challenge" anything I have said, it is my opinion. We are here to respond to this mans topic of "Why I left the Good Ol' USA". Thanyou, Trekkertony for starting this topic.

Tracechain
udonmap.com

Post by Tracechain » December 3, 2011, 2:52 am

Because of my Ex-wife!
Hit 'em hard, hit 'em fast, hit 'em with the one they don't expect, and just keep hitting.

nkstan
udonmap.com

Post by nkstan » December 3, 2011, 7:37 am

Funny :lol: :lol:

jai yen yen
udonmap.com

Post by jai yen yen » December 3, 2011, 9:27 am

I sometimes wonder what people are thinking when they put down there home country, I live in Canada most of the time and although it is not perfect it is pretty nice. Clean air, beautiful scenery, great fishing and hunting, safe to live and drive on the roads, I can own my house, if I am in an accident even if I don't have medical I will be taken care of. The U.S.A. has a lot of the same things as Canada, neither country is perfect but when people tell me they have found paradise in Thailand I shake my head. In Thailand you can't own your own home, you have virtually no rights, if you have a problem with a Thai you will most likely lose out even if you are right, death on the roads all the time, a place where the wealthy or connected can and do get away with murder, corruption at its finest, believe it or nor much of the food is loaded with banned chemicals, and you are looked at by most as a lower form of life. To live here you have to ignore a lot of reality. There are some good things about Thailand but paradise it is not.

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » December 3, 2011, 10:03 am

There is no paradise but that which each individual creates for himself. :D
Ageing is a privilige denied to many .

jai yen yen
udonmap.com

Post by jai yen yen » December 3, 2011, 10:17 am

trubrit wrote:There is no paradise but that which each individual creates for himself. :D
Absolutely true.

newtovillagelife
udonmap.com

Post by newtovillagelife » December 3, 2011, 10:36 am

Please Jai Yen Yen let me know what is good about living in Thailand. I am new to this place, and also from Canada, and I am very curious as to what are the reasons you reside here on a part time basis.
Thanks

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » December 3, 2011, 10:46 am

trubrit wrote:There is no paradise but that which each individual creates for himself. :D
and while I am in a philosophical mood. The same could be said of hell . :|

Bertie_Wooster
udonmap.com

Post by Bertie_Wooster » December 3, 2011, 11:35 am

jai yen yen wrote:I sometimes wonder what people are thinking when they put down there home country, I live in Canada most of the time and although it is not perfect it is pretty nice. Clean air, beautiful scenery, great fishing and hunting, safe to live and drive on the roads, I can own my house, if I am in an accident even if I don't have medical I will be taken care of. The U.S.A. has a lot of the same things as Canada, neither country is perfect but when people tell me they have found paradise in Thailand I shake my head. In Thailand you can't own your own home, you have virtually no rights, if you have a problem with a Thai you will most likely lose out even if you are right, death on the roads all the time, a place where the wealthy or connected can and do get away with murder, corruption at its finest, believe it or nor much of the food is loaded with banned chemicals, and you are looked at by most as a lower form of life. To live here you have to ignore a lot of reality. There are some good things about Thailand but paradise it is not.

Be careful jai yen yen, people will grill you on why you come to Thailand if you have any critical comments. Maybe you come here for the sunshine, maybe whichever area you visit helps you to relax... As long as you are enjoying yourself in your section of the world then enjoy.
Bertie_Wooster

old-timer
udonmap.com

Post by old-timer » December 3, 2011, 1:08 pm

OT has USA, Florida Keys high on his list of places to retire. I've been checking it out and can imagine myself having fun on a boat in the sun and a nice bungalow on one of the lively Islands.
If you live in USA, is it mandatory to like country music and to cross-dress the same as Americans do ? If so I'll give it a miss.

OT................ \:D/

jai yen yen
udonmap.com

Post by jai yen yen » December 3, 2011, 1:17 pm

newtovillagelife wrote:Please Jai Yen Yen let me know what is good about living in Thailand. I am new to this place, and also from Canada, and I am very curious as to what are the reasons you reside here on a part time basis.
Thanks
That is a good question and one I have been asking myself a lot lately. When I first came to Thailand 9 years ago I fell in love with the place. Unfortunately the more I come here the more I learn about things that make it hard for me to enjoy it here. Racism, corruption, a country where a politician in a small town can shoot to death an 11 year old boy for trying to poach a fish from his pond and not even be charged, another beats his wife to death and gets 3 months in jail. A 14 year old boy is shot in the face by the son of a cop in my girlfriends village and nothing is done because of his father. Not to mention the danger to oneself by being in the wrong place at the wrong time. I could go on and on. Why do I still come here. It is nice to get away from the winter in Canada and I have my harley here and enjoy riding very much but it seems to be getting more dangerous all the time. I have a house in Thailand and my tgf has a 10 year old boy that needs his mom around at least 7 months of the year. Not an option for him to come to Canada. Incidentally my tgf would not come back to Thailand if not for her son. Anyway don't let me sway you on Thailand, everyone must make there own choices in life and some have managed to be happy here. I wished I did not know what I know and could go back to the way I felt before but I cannot. I may have some hard choices ahead. Good luck to you.

grozza
udonmap.com

Post by grozza » December 3, 2011, 1:20 pm

while i do enjoy my time in thailand (on part time basis) there is one important part of my decision not to make thailand my home permanently and that is our children,i know i am getting off subject but is there anyone who has children that have been right through the thai education system and now are employed in thailand with a good job,because i have seen a lot of young children ie under 15 between thai and farang parents i just dont see the same amount as adults.

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » December 3, 2011, 2:10 pm

Obviously I am not from the States but I think the same question could be asked of virtually any nationality, so here's my take on it .Its really a two part-er as the first"Why did you leave?" automatically leads to 'Why are you here?" So the first. In my working life I travelled extensively, a lot of it in Asia.I had a good job and lifestyle and yet always thought there was something missing from life. When I hit on Thailand the major impression I got was. The people had so little in the creature comforts I was used to enjoying but seemed , on the surface anyway , so much more content than I.Looking deeper into that I discovered Buddhism, not as a religion, but as a philosphy of life .Not wishing to bore with the details I will just say I entered a temple as a novice for three months .It changed my life entirely. As soon as I could I returned, again and again, eventually retiring here .During this period I met and made many friends, yes including ladies, one of whom I eventually married. For a few years life was quite content, however I let myself be persuaded to go back home for the sake of her children's education. This was a big mistake, not for the kids, one of whom got her MD at the University of London, but for me. Not only was I back in the materialistic world, but my Thai wife took to it like to the manner born.
The consequence of which led to our divorce after 13 years and my return to Thailand. So to the second part .I have tried both and simply, despite the problems of living here which we are all too familiar with , I prefer it . Now happily married again , with all the accompanying problems that can bring , I am the happiest, and can I say , contented ,I have ever been throughout a long life .It may not be every ones idea of paradise, but it is for me .
As a postscript can I add. The apparent deterioration of life as I knew it back home does nothing but reinforce my decision to stay .

LoongLee
udonmap.com

Post by LoongLee » December 3, 2011, 9:16 pm

Simply incredible! A music video produced for the fun of it (and hilarious) can keep grown men from around the world occupied and for some, seem to even justify their existance on a particular piece of sod on this blue ball.

Some, not all, would appear to be in serious need of professional help, but I seriously doubt those needing it that currently reside in Thailand will be able to find it.

Now,,,,,,, let the flaming begin,,,,,,,
ลุงลี

KB_Texas

Post by KB_Texas » December 3, 2011, 10:36 pm

Hey Loong...kinda hard speaking about Thailand if you're in the police state of Virginia. :) I know, I was raised there. I left when I was 17 and never looked back, though I did continue to visit my mom and family.

As to why Thailand, simple...the woman I love lives here and did not enjoy her time in the US. Unlike some peoples thinking, not all Thai women are taken with the materialistic lifestyle of the west. I have traveled extensively, experienced the materialistic life, etc. etc. But I love my wife and the people of Thailand. They are warm, caring people on a whole, and very friendly if you accept the fact that it is their culture and their country, and act accordingly. I have met some very, very nice people here...many more in my short time here than I met in large cities in the USA in years.

Oh, add to that that the US is not the country I was raised to love, served as a Marine, and always believed had the right idea. It has devolved to a 'us vs. them' society, and it really does not matter who the 'us' is. When I was a kid, ALL Americans were to be at least listened to and their views respected. Now nobody listens if you are not one of 'my' herd, and it is perfectly ok to denigrate the President (who WAS elected by a majority after all) daily via email and/or other methods. That was enough in itself to make me decide that Thailand, with all it's faults, was still the better choice.

As for what one poster said re: cops sons, bad things...it was not too long ago that the countries you hail from had exactly the same issues, (and some, nay many, still do) which finally were worked through a bit...and in some eyes were overworked to the point of ridiculousness.

Thomas Jefferson once said "I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." My biggest issue with the USA right now is that these words no longer hold meaning for many, many people.

KB

Sateev
udonmap.com

Post by Sateev » December 3, 2011, 10:41 pm

KB_Texas wrote:...

Oh, add to that that the US is not the country I was raised to love, served as a Marine, and always believed had the right idea. It has devolved to a 'us vs. them' society, and it really does not matter who the 'us' is. When I was a kid, ALL Americans were to be at least listened to and their views respected. Now nobody listens if you are not one of 'my' herd, and it is perfectly ok to denigrate the President (who WAS elected by a majority after all) daily via email and/or other methods. That was enough in itself to make me decide that Thailand, with all it's faults, was still the better choice.

As for what one poster said re: cops sons, bad things...it was not too long ago that the countries you hail from had exactly the same issues, (and some, nay many, still do) which finally were worked through a bit...and in some eyes were overworked to the point of ridiculousness.

Thomas Jefferson once said "I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." My biggest issue with the USA right now is that these words no longer hold meaning for many, many people.

KB
Well said, KB.

thrilled
udonmap.com

Post by thrilled » December 4, 2011, 2:45 am

There are good parts to every country and bad parts to every country.I know there are better places to live than Thailand,the same with the US.Before I retire i'm going to travel all over the world and see whatis the best place for me.
I will say this about Thailand.If ya have large amounts of money ya can get away with just about anything.

Tracechain
udonmap.com

Post by Tracechain » December 4, 2011, 3:29 am

I once worked for a USN Commander who was a battalion commander in the USMC. I asked him after a few days why all the Sailors in his command look just like Marines. He being a New Englander asked me if I ever went Duck hunting. Told him yes, many times along the rivers and lakes in East Tennessee. He asked me how I dressed. Told him I tried to blend in so the Ducks would at least not be scared nor treat me with too much difference. Was I successful he asked. Yes, very I said. He then stated that he was doing the same thing. A squid working for a Jar Head General had best look the part, dance the dance, talk the talk, and learn how to say Ooraah with the best of Marines in order to survive and be accepted. Point here is that if you never interact, try to learn the culture, language, etc, you ain't going to like it and the locals around you are not going to go out of their way to invite you into their living rooms or help you if you are ever laying on the side of the road. We have several foreigners who live out here in the country who never get out of their houses except to go in to town to eat. My Thai is terrible, but everyone undersatands a smile and hello. So, home is where the heart is. So far, the only folks who treat me with contemp or try to rip me off have been other foreigners. Go figure!
Hit 'em hard, hit 'em fast, hit 'em with the one they don't expect, and just keep hitting.

LoongLee
udonmap.com

Post by LoongLee » December 4, 2011, 5:34 am

"Hey Loong...kinda hard speaking about Thailand if you're in the police state of Virginia."

Well, I do feel somewhat qualified to speak about Thailand since my wife and kids were born there and we've been going back and forth for 40+ years. Not sure what who's qualified to speak about Thailand has to do with a music video.

I probably need to rephrase part of my original post,,,,,,, but then again,,,,, I think I'll let it stand on it's own. Most people will understand my points.
ลุงลี

Return to “Relationships”