Stuck in a village....somewhere.

Long distance relationships, mixed relationships etc...
tudorandpim
udonmap.com

Post by tudorandpim » December 18, 2007, 1:52 pm

A fascinating tale, and one that got me thinking.
Exactly 4 years ago I accompanied a woman on a planned visit back to her home. It was in a dusty little village, with no name I could establish at the time, somewhere 'behind the mountain' in backwoods Isaan. I knew I liked her but I didn't really know much about her. I certainly didn't ask many questions. I was more pleased to be invited and concerned whether they would like me. I remember cracking jokes with my friends about the risk of having rocks chucked at my head or disappearing without trace. There was no policeman or public phone. At the time it all seemed very new and exciting. I see now that I was totally trusting. Eyes wide shut. That was totally out of character.
On reflection I must have been nuts.
Anway trust paid off and it worked out perfectly. The family were great and local community warm and accepting. No buffalos, booze or financial demands. We duly courted, married and planned a future together.
So my movie plot was love story.
Part 2 was a repeat of part 1, different location. New wife left her home and children and came to live in a strange village with someone she didn't really know much about, in a strange cold country she knew nothing about, and where not all the natives are friendly. Really her situation wasn't so different mine earlier.
She was trusting as I had been and again that trust paid off. Her children are now with us in UK. She has since confided in me that if I had fallen short of her expectations she would have run away and hidden. She still could I suppose, so I behave myself and take very good care of her.
Would I have done it any differently, knowing what I know now? No, probably not, even knowing a lot more about what can go wrong. You have to take some risks in this life to make things happen. Trust is risky.

Ba Bob
udonmap.com

Post by Ba Bob » December 18, 2007, 2:16 pm

empathy!! a few ppl on here dont know what that is, nice post.

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » December 18, 2007, 3:02 pm

wouldn't be that hard to say, ok, i'll give the money, take me to bank, remember where coming from, and stop the first cop you see and ask for help. does this guy go outside by himself, if he can find his way to thailand, surely he can take care of matters.................again, in his home country, does he go out by himself, very sad. :lol: :lol: :lol:

marjamlew
udonmap.com

Post by marjamlew » December 18, 2007, 3:23 pm

id' start drinkin the loa khoa with the boys and chewin the beetle with the old ladies til they got sick of me and deliverered me unto evil
wouldn't take long
maybe I already did it
can't remember
was good beetle
Watch Me!!

AussieBoy
udonmap.com

Post by AussieBoy » December 18, 2007, 3:42 pm

beer monkey wrote:Been thinking about this story a fair bit today.
imagine never having been to 'The Village' before or even Thailand and being lead to a remote village on the boarders in the middle of nowhere, not a sign of farang existance anywhere and all 'The Extended family'(the whole village) appear from nowhere and you are surrounded by old women with red stained teeth, wise old men a few village p!ss heads necking lao-khao asking for 100 baht and poncing your marlboros and walking off with your lighter and even the old soi dogs are curious,small children looking at the 'farang' whilst hiding behind their mothers,its dry its dusty the sun is beating down its 99 degrees in the shade they are all talking at once trying to 'extract' 200000 baht cash from you for the 'Engagement' to a girl you hardly know, your phone credits running low, the Tourist police don't seem to be of no help and to top it all theres probably no creature comforts around, his only option is agree to the terms keep smiling and nodding stay friendly, and arrange to get back to civilisation with the promise of the cash and run.
Its all probably harmless and i am sure he will wriggle out of the situation somehow.

Great! sounds like an adventure of a lifetime, you never know what is going to happen, Love it, where do I sign up for the next trip, what is the cost?, Thats what I call a good holiday trip dont plan any thing, you lucky bastard, you will look back on it as your best trip ever.
Master Builder

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » December 18, 2007, 4:33 pm

My latest sms, say "fine, I think mama has accepted facts now."
Ok cancel the search + rescue, all is well,and he will learn fast.
Can You Dig It Dug.?

Kenn
udonmap.com

Post by Kenn » December 18, 2007, 4:44 pm

but will there be a Book or a movie of the Week about his time in the Village which has no name, and their secret prison not even the CIA knows about
could be a reader, just add some creative writing , and you can turn this anyway you want.... :D

Aardvark
udonmap.com

Post by Aardvark » December 19, 2007, 11:48 am

Mainer, can you let us all know what the out come was. Just as a matter of interest :D

Ricohoc
udonmap.com

Post by Ricohoc » December 19, 2007, 12:09 pm

Yes! My interest has been piqued as well! I'd like to hear the outcome. 8)

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » December 19, 2007, 12:31 pm

Kenn wrote:........ and their secret prison not even the CIA knows about.....:D
Ah! That would be the VoA radio station, just outside Ban Dung :-$

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » December 23, 2007, 6:41 am

Wonder how our man is getting on....any news. ?
Can You Dig It Dug.?

Aardvark
udonmap.com

Post by Aardvark » December 23, 2007, 6:46 am

Yes I'm keen to find out also???

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » January 12, 2008, 9:20 pm

So i suppose no news is good news then.
Can You Dig It Dug.?

Ricohoc
udonmap.com

Post by Ricohoc » January 12, 2008, 9:28 pm

It may have all been just a bunch of foolishness and didn't happen at all; but I'm still curious.

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » January 12, 2008, 9:35 pm

Yeah we are still genuinely curious as to whats happening...we need closure. :-s
Can You Dig It Dug.?

Mainer
udonmap.com

Post by Mainer » January 13, 2008, 10:27 am

Sorry, I haven't been keeping up with the forum lately, but I will try and see what is happening now. I have not heard a word since my last post on 12/18.

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » January 13, 2008, 7:19 pm

ok thanks.
Can You Dig It Dug.?

Return to “Relationships”