Developing the Traits of your Host Country

Long distance relationships, mixed relationships etc...
westerby
udonmap.com

Developing the Traits of your Host Country

Post by westerby » May 20, 2008, 1:32 am

Over the years that I've been married, I've noticed my missus develop a very sharp British sense of humour and I wondered if Thai girls develop the traits of their adoptive Farang countries as the years go on.

For example, do Thai girls lose their sense of humour once they've married a German? Do they become fantastic lovers if they marry Italians, grow bushy moustaches (like their Mother-in-Laws) if they marry Greeks or cultivate armpit hair if they co-habit with Belgians?

Or do they essentially stay the same?

Irish Alan
udonmap.com

Post by Irish Alan » May 20, 2008, 1:56 am

I am very sarcastic... I was told sarcasm isn't a Thai thing. I went to eat noodles in a local Thai restaurant last week and I told 'er indors I'd be back in 20 minutes. However it was last day of season and I proceeded to to go to see what was happening on closing day.

5 hours later I returned... I was asked, "
so what were the noodles like in Ireland?"

As yes
sarcasm is catching on.

som
udonmap.com

Re: Developing the Traits of your Host Country

Post by som » May 20, 2008, 2:34 am

[quote="westerby".

For example, do Thai girls lose their sense of humour once they've married a German? [/quote]

place your bets LOL :mrgreen:

som
udonmap.com

Re: Developing the Traits of your Host Country

Post by som » May 20, 2008, 2:38 am

westerby wrote:.

For example, do Thai girls lose their sense of humour once they've married a German?
place your bets LOL :mrgreen:

Ricohoc
udonmap.com

Post by Ricohoc » May 20, 2008, 2:49 am

Irish Alan wrote:5 hours later I returned... I was asked, "
so what were the noodles like in Ireland?"

As yes
sarcasm is catching on.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Now, that ... is funny!

pompui
udonmap.com

Post by pompui » May 20, 2008, 3:30 am

The other half enjoys a good horse and cart after i have let off but she enjoys the fact hers have more bite to mine!
But talking about Thais is ,why do the women have to leave so many strategically placed headhairs around the washbasin,toilet seat,bath and stacks everywhere else or does my other half have a hairloss problem? Never get a straight answer back?

westerby
udonmap.com

Post by westerby » May 20, 2008, 4:17 am

pompui wrote:The other half enjoys a good horse and cart after i have let off but she enjoys the fact hers have more bite to mine!
Yes, that's a very British thing - to let one off with your loved one and compare the rancidity.

Tell me, was it so fetid and thick that you could chew on it? :freak:

pompui
udonmap.com

Post by pompui » May 20, 2008, 4:38 am

Too much egg in her diet,too much baked bean in my diet shame not of the heinz smell.
Fetid and thick,will tell her to horse and cart under the duvet this morning :D

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » May 20, 2008, 4:53 am

My Mrs lets em'orf No problem mostly just low noise 'Phhhhooooot' versions ...but when i let one fly out the trap door she has a pop at me..'Men Men' she says hers don't smell..Low emissions,,, 'My Ar$e'..!

And after several years with me she is getting the same sense of humour as me, well actually thats not true she will never have the same sense of humour as me, but she has cottoned on a little to the people watching that i love so much, and has a much better sense of humour to when we first got together, i am sarcastic too, and she has picked up a little of that also.

So Armpit hair on Girls.............Eeeew no fanks. :-s

The good old 'Dutch Oven' treatment don't go down too well. ;)

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » May 20, 2008, 7:59 am

i think thai people have a good sense of humour, but living with me my wife has in a very short period adjusted that humour to include sarcasm, and i love it. but going back to the original question. maybe they adapt to thier respective partners in an attemt to please that partner. as for germans, well if i lived with one for a while i too would have a face like a slapped arse ( no offence intended ) 8) 8) 8)

marjamlew
udonmap.com

Post by marjamlew » May 20, 2008, 2:54 pm

after having lived in thailand for a prolonged period i returned home about 3 years ago and often think about the thai traits or characteristics that i have imported into my life here. i think i've become more stoic and fatalistic and when I have to do something I really don't want to do i look upon it as an opportunity to make merit. i work with a few tough kids so my next life is looking pretty good :shock:
and after having had a long cooling off time from the extgf i realise over our 12 years she took on mainly my traits, characteristics and sense of humour as we only ever spoke english together. to hear her give another driver a mouthfull in english would make a barman blush :lol:
i'd also like to know what thai traits and characteristics - understandings you guys think you have developed over time.

Irish Alan
udonmap.com

Post by Irish Alan » May 20, 2008, 10:55 pm

pompui wrote:But talking about Thais is ,why do the women have to leave so many strategically placed headhairs around the washbasin,toilet seat,bath and stacks everywhere else or does my other half have a hairloss problem? Never get a straight answer back?
The key word is strategic... I believe that in high-school they do a forensic science course. I guarantee if you move your fridge and there is a hair under it your missus will swoop on it and check it's length density and colour. F**k microscopes, their naked eye will determine the owner.

You better have a house-keeper with similar hair or metal underpants and a fast car.

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » May 20, 2008, 11:04 pm

My 'TW' is always plucking bits of hair out whilst in front of the mirror.. :roll:
Can You Dig It Dug.?

Irish Alan
udonmap.com

Post by Irish Alan » May 20, 2008, 11:59 pm

Ah BM you have fallen into the 'TW' trap... Just thinking what would you refer to Friend from UK as? :?

westerby
udonmap.com

Post by westerby » May 21, 2008, 1:23 am

marjamlew wrote:i'd also like to know what thai traits and characteristics - understandings you guys think you have developed over time.
I use 'goo' and 'mung' in my Thai language when referring to myself or others - not necessarily picked up from the Dragon but more so from her brother. I also use 'euh' when acknowledging someone in Thai but I think that's more Phasa Isaan.

I'm currently deciding whether it's viable to pursue this Mia Noi option that so many Thai men take up but I'll need to protect the meat and two veg as I've been informed that they might be chopped off and fed to the ducks. :yikes:

Aardvark
udonmap.com

Post by Aardvark » May 21, 2008, 9:21 am

I've noticed when friends come around the guys sit outside having a normal conversation, but as soon as a TW appears they all go into Pidgeon English. I find it quite fascinating, its as though they are afraid the Girls wont understand. I've noticed it in Thailand as well, my friends slip into Pidgeon as soon as they address my wife :D

38nholding
udonmap.com

Post by 38nholding » May 21, 2008, 11:28 am

I am sure in a round about way they / we are just trying to be polite. Hoping to be understood and that the Thais will understand .I am sure if w
e use all our ands, ifs ,and buts ,the Thais lose a little bit of the meaning. But what I find amazing is that after a short time here my friends are talking pidgeon to me , like, I speak and understand the language very well. funny

Darryl
udonmap.com

Post by Darryl » May 21, 2008, 1:59 pm

My mate from England talks like that it drives me crazy ,chats to his Gf friend in pidgeon English . "Me go complek" etc ,then turns around to me and says the same thing, ahhhhh!

ergman
udonmap.com

Post by ergman » May 21, 2008, 5:58 pm

Oooohhhh I had to make a comment on this. I live here in Saudi Arabia and have been with my (now 3rd......Bloody Hell!!!! lots of stories there but will not go into it!!!....WBU graduate???.....YES!!!) TW for 1 & 1/2 years. When I first met her I did do the pigeon English thing with her but since she has been with me I try and speak as "Normal" as I would with one of you guys/gals. I have one of the very thick English/Thai dictionaries that I use all the time and also whenever we watch a DVD movie I'm not shy about pausing it and explaining to her what was just said. Her English has VERY much improved since she has been with me and I always get compliments from my friends on how well she speaks.

Now the compound we live on one of my good friends also has a Thai wife only 2 years older then mine (I'm happy to say I introduced them & they are very happy together!!) & she & my wife and her are great friends. Anyways my Buddy is from England so the "English" she picks up is of course UK style as my wifes' is American English. The point I mean to make is that he almost NEVER corrects his wifes' English and she pretty much speaks P.E. with everyone! I've tried to correct her a few times but I don't want to make her Husband angry because he never does correct her...or hardly ever does I should say. Another thing she does, which I DO tease her about, is when she speaks Thai with my wife, or another Thai person, she speaks in a normal voice/normal tone. As soon as she speaks English her voice decibel level raises and she speaks very nasally/whiney and it drives me nuts!!! I ask her why she does this and she just laughs and hits me and I leave it at that!

One more thing to add is that still when talking with my wife I notice that she uses a lot of words that are still UK "English". What I do in this situation is I explain the difference between the 2 countries as to what the US version is. I never say that she is wrong but I explain to her and she understands quickly......a "lift"...trash "bin".....things like that. I just assume that when she was taught English in school, or whomever she learned the word from, taught her the UK version (It also helps me that I went to high school in Suffolk for 3 years 1980-1983...U.S. Air Force Brat....RAF Lakenheath.....3 fun years too!).

OK :shock: :shock: ....sorry I wrote so much!!

Anyways the wife and I and another Thai/British couple are off to Bahrain for 4 days for real beer, real Johnny Walker and lots of great food!!!

See ya'll at Christmas!!!!

Ed

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » May 22, 2008, 5:50 am

ive developed the thai trait of questioning every price, irrespective of how little or what value for money im getting. you would be suprised at the results. last week i got 5 baht off a 35 baht shirt in the clothes market by global house. yes cheap charlie i know but why not. i like to hagle , its the look on thier faces gets me everytime. on the down side im beginning to drive like a thai too, i still use indicators but i never give way if someone trys to force thier way out in front of me.

Return to “Relationships”