Farang food places

Discussions on local & International restaurants and food suppliers.
fatbas***d
udonmap.com

Farang food places

Post by fatbas***d » March 28, 2006, 12:54 pm

I spent last saturday night in Udon. Went around a few bars looking for place for Food drink. No shortage of those, but how the heck do they survive? First stop was Irish clock, Great fit out but sort of lacking in Ambiance (and customers) Just one couple and two guys watching English football on TV, that was on Saturday night at 8 Pm. The menu items didn't inspire me so headed off after two beers. Looked at the bars close by but nothing appealed. So off to Mojo. One thing you have to say about this place the owner tries hard, friendly guy, but I was looking for an AC place and he had his switched off, probably because there was only one customer inside. Had a excellent meal while sitting out side.
Looked in at Horse shoe and Steve's but they sort of looked a bit dead.
Headed back to the hotel for an early night. Certainly the Irish and Mojo bars would be very successful in BKK or Pattaya but in Udon I wonder how much it costs the owners to keep these going with so few takers.

valentine

Post by valentine » March 28, 2006, 4:22 pm

In comparison I spent last Saturday night at the Night market with my wife, drank 5 large bottles of beer at 45baht each, had the largest barbecued fish with all the trimmings, lettuce etc. A big squid barbecued to perfection and of course the Tw had a plate of somtum, all for the grand sum under 400bht. The place was packed, new tables kept appearing all the time and the atmosphere was like being at a live football match with the Liverpool v Everton derby on the big screen.I go every week now, no more bars for me with their Hello Darling staff. :lol:

Dakoda
udonmap.com

Post by Dakoda » March 28, 2006, 4:31 pm

IMO opening a Farang food/bar is a quick way to empty your bank account in Udon. I think only tourists go. There are so many places like Val posted above, food is good and the beer is cheap and packed with people. I guess the only two places I stop by these days is Harry's for a burger and City Lodge for breakfest, every blue moon.

fatbas***d
udonmap.com

Post by fatbas***d » March 29, 2006, 3:15 pm

Dakoda wrote:IMO opening a Farang food/bar is a quick way to empty your bank account in Udon. I think only tourists go. There are so many places like Val posted above, food is good and the beer is cheap and packed with people. I guess the only two places I stop by these days is Harry's for a burger and City Lodge for breakfest, every blue moon.

Thanks for the advice guys. That's where I will go next time, I actually pulled into the car park at the night market, and went again as I didn't realise they sold food / beer as well. Maybe that's why I haven't had much luck with the Thai food places, tried a few but they aren't up to much. The last was the place by the pond before Rock ice (same side) woeful food and even worse service. Obviously the popularity of the night market doesn't leave much for anyone else, although you think it would encourage them to pick up their game.

Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Paul » March 29, 2006, 11:31 pm

It all depends what you are looking for really and each place has its own style which will appeal to some but not to others.
Its nice to have such a varied choice of venues and if you have a personal favourite - then good. Enjoy!

Dakoda
udonmap.com

Post by Dakoda » March 31, 2006, 9:16 am

was the place by the pond before Rock ice (same side) woeful food and even worse service.
Hmm, there are 2 places just before rock ice. One is a sponsor here, the other keeps the beer in a iced container, so the first glass is as cold as the last glass, slow drinker. Both places have good thai food, I just told someone, to go for the fish at the first place. There are some thai places, that the TW likes, but I don't. She likes anything that causes water to come from every pore, the hotest I like is around the mexican temp (watery eyes), or maybe a mid heat india temp (beading forehead). And I been growing and using thai pepers for as long as I can remember in the states, but I take the seeds out before using.

Return to “Udon Thani Restaurants”