food for thought

Discussions on local & International restaurants and food suppliers.
aspire
udonmap.com

food for thought

Post by aspire » April 3, 2006, 4:19 am

i would like to know what the thai's eat for breakfast. i am not into western or american morning foods except oatmeal and fruit. also what is the name of that custard coconut delight that is special to thailand? who has best thai breakfast? thanks or any info!

farang
udonmap.com

Post by farang » April 3, 2006, 7:17 am

beer monkey wrote:incidently the rice soup is supposed to be a good hang-over cureImage
it dont work mate lol............
"lucozade sport" works Image
www.udonmap.com

Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Paul » April 3, 2006, 12:17 pm

If you go to Nong Prajak in the mornings there are many stalls selling breakfast and a rather tasty one is like an omlette/fried eggs served in its own 6inch cooking pan with bits of what I think are ham in it - I haven't a clue what it is called but is rather delicious. there is another one which comes in a bread roll which again I don't know the name of but is bits of meat and I think egg and is very tasty too. I know someone on here will add the names of these dishes but I have always managed to get what I wanted by pointing and some of the sellers speak very good English anyway.
All washed down with fresh orange juice and a coffee. Well under a hundred baht for two :)

Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Paul » April 3, 2006, 2:54 pm

The first one sounds about right but the second one is wrong for sure. I know sa-la pow. Its the white stemed bun from chinese origins with a variety of fillings from pork to custard, but its not that I was referring to.
The bread roll is like a hot dog roll and is filled with meat and possibly egg and all sorts of other things, delicious :) (but not sa-la pow)

Prenders88
udonmap.com

Post by Prenders88 » April 4, 2006, 6:05 pm

[quote="Paul"]If you go to Nong Prajak in the mornings there are many stalls selling breakfast and a rather tasty one is like an omlette/fried eggs served in its own 6inch cooking pan with bits of what I think are ham in it - I haven't a clue what it is called but is rather delicious. there is another one which comes in a bread roll which again I don't know the name of but is bits of meat and I think egg and is very tasty too.

I live next door to Nong Prajak Park.
One of the best things about the city is the breakfast by the park. Paul the dish you mention has two fried eggs, topped with diced ham and Issan sausage. Has anyone tried the Patango Donuts with coffee?

Tony

Bangsean_girl
udonmap.com

Post by Bangsean_girl » April 4, 2006, 9:58 pm

Paul wrote: there is another one which comes in a bread roll which again I don't know the name of but is bits of meat and I think egg and is very tasty too.
well the egg dish called "Kai kata" ,which kai mean eggs and kata mean pan ,and the bread roll which you mentioned called "Kanompang Khaw jee "or "kanompang kaw"Appaerntly the story of this bread is long ago Vietnam was colonized by the french, and the french brought their food into Vietnam - one of them is the roll bread .After that vietnamese adapted and tried to make their own bread which is smaller than the french roll bread,and then some of the vietnamese immigrated to Thailand so thats how this kind of bread come to Thailand ,which ya can go to eat at Nongprajak now ,It's smaller than the french roll bread and some of us Thai people call it as " kanompang kaw " which kanompang means bread and kaw means vietnamese ,but I dont suggest u to say that as it may offend the vietnamese ppl -They dont like the Thai or anyone to call them as "kaw" It's like the foreigner would not like ppl to call them farang or the black people would not like if u call him negro so better call this kind of bread as kanompang khaw jee ;) jee mean to grill or to broil .usually we will have something like thai ham inside it which we call in thai Kunchiang (the red one) and mhoo yow(the white one).both are made by pork . you can put some sauce in the bread or some veggies to make the taste better :)

PopsIcafe
Udonmap Sponsor

Post by PopsIcafe » April 4, 2006, 11:01 pm

I also enjoy having coffe and, what I call Chinese donuts, Pha Tong Ko. It's and X shaped donut. Usually that, orange juice and the pork on a stick (muu on a stick????? :-k ) Would be a nice place for formites to meet on Sunday mornings, for those you don't sleep in till NOON!!!!! Anyone up for a nice Sunday morning after the meeting Saturday night???? :roll: I think about 7:30 am would be a nice time.

Pop's :pirate:

Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Paul » April 4, 2006, 11:16 pm

Pop-pop's Net and Games wrote: Would be a nice place for formites to meet on Sunday mornings, for those you don't sleep in till NOON!!!!! Anyone up for a nice Sunday morning after the meeting Saturday night???? :roll: I think about 7:30 am would be a nice time.

You have got to be joking !

For those of us that aren't under the thumb - some of us are only just making it back home by that time ! Coffee and donuts at 7.30 AM- what are you on pops ?????????
A Chang hangover is not pleasant for anyone to see - least of all the owner :(

looks like you might be dining alone - after your good nights sleep ?

albeach
udonmap.com

Post by albeach » April 5, 2006, 12:08 am

Paul, you suggested the answer yourself, just swing by the park on your way home :D A little brekky might help to get the Chang after-taste off your tongue.

Loaded
udonmap.com

Post by Loaded » April 5, 2006, 1:49 am

Paul wrote:
Pop-pop's Net and Games wrote: Would be a nice place for formites to meet on Sunday mornings, for those you don't sleep in till NOON!!!!! Anyone up for a nice Sunday morning after the meeting Saturday night???? :roll: I think about 7:30 am would be a nice time.

You have got to be joking !

For those of us that aren't under the thumb - some of us are only just making it back home by that time ! Coffee and donuts at 7.30 AM- what are you on pops ?????????
A Chang hangover is not pleasant for anyone to see - least of all the owner :(

looks like you might be dining alone - after your good nights sleep ?
Finally [-o< ! Paul, thanks for the understanding :lol: ..

valentine

Post by valentine » April 5, 2006, 8:41 am

Pop-pop's Net and Games wrote:I also enjoy having coffe and, what I call Chinese donuts, Pha Tong Ko. It's and X shaped donut. Usually that, orange juice and the pork on a stick (muu on a stick????? :-k ) Would be a nice place for formites to meet on Sunday mornings, for those you don't sleep in till NOON!!!!! Anyone up for a nice Sunday morning after the meeting Saturday night???? :roll: I think about 7:30 am would be a nice time.

What a fabulous idea Pops. Followed by a quick jog of at least three laps of the lake. please let me know when, I would love to come and watch. Might even wear my green tights. :o

PopsIcafe
Udonmap Sponsor

Post by PopsIcafe » April 5, 2006, 11:05 am

Paul, must have been the havanas, but still is a good idea. Well a good idea for those who can hang in there even after the beer chang :drunk: episode. :twisted: So I will be down there this Sunday between 7am and 7:30 am, enjoying the muu ping and pha tong ko along with a cup of coffee =D> . For those who care, come and join me. As for Paul, well, age must be catching up with him, and boyhood has gone a stray. ](*,)

For those who are interested, Taco Place has a buffet on th 11th for Song Khran. Check with them, my misfortune is that I will be on my way to Nakhon Si Thamarat. \:D/

farang
udonmap.com

Post by farang » April 5, 2006, 6:19 pm

beer monkey wrote:yes the patango do-nuts freshly fried in the morning with a drizzle of mali milk, with coffee. Image
i think that was another chinese influanced snack. i buy those most weeks back here in uk from the local chinese store.
MMMMMM dougnuts Image
ImageImage
www.udonmap.com

Prenders88
udonmap.com

Post by Prenders88 » April 6, 2006, 12:07 pm

Thanks Bangsean Girl for the info about the history, and names of the breakfast items sold by Nong Prajak park. I'll note then down so I'll know what to ask for next time. :D

If I'm up in time, or get home before 7.30am, I'll join you Pop's for Breakfast in the Park. :wink:

Tony

Prenders88
udonmap.com

Post by Prenders88 » April 6, 2006, 12:11 pm

[Pop's :pirate:[/quote]
What a fabulous idea Pops. Followed by a quick jog of at least three laps of the lake. please let me know when, I would love to come and watch. Might even wear my green tights. :o[/quote]

Stick a half coconut shell down your tights Val, and get the Linford Cristie Lunchbox profile, sure way to impress the ladies.
See you sunday morning :)

Tony

fatbas***d
udonmap.com

Post by fatbas***d » April 18, 2006, 11:26 am

I know its not normal Thai fare but my Thai's really enjoyed the breakfast at the Irish clock, Wifey had Kaaw pad but my 2 girls gave the English breakfast the big thumbs up and I have to agree that it was the best western breakfast that I have had in Thailand for many years.

Return to “Udon Thani Restaurants”