bella italtia restaurant! NEW?

Discussions on local & International restaurants and food suppliers.
ruktur
udonmap.com

bella italtia restaurant! NEW?

Post by ruktur » July 18, 2005, 11:35 pm

somebody now the new "Bella Italia" restaurant accross "Charoensi Complex"? Is it nice? Is it from the owner "Enrico"?

JimboPSM
udonmap.com

Post by JimboPSM » July 19, 2005, 4:20 am

The owner is Enrico.

Have not been there since returning from Udon at end of April.

Went there in their earlier days and the Italian food I tried was good (as long as Enrico was there, but if he was not there the quality seemed to go down); however my wife was not very impressed with their Thai food.

A friend of mine ate there quite often and said their steaks were good, but I never tried them.

Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Paul » July 19, 2005, 8:57 am

JimboPSM wrote:
Have not been there since returning from Udon at end of April.
Hmmm - how could you go there if you have left Udon?????
You threw me a little with that sentence.

I go past the old Enrico restaurant (Nong Prajak) almost daily and it appears to have closed - I have seen no sign of life in there since the new place opened.

Went to the new place once with a friend - he had pizza, and left 80% of it
Others have said the steak is ok but expensive (comparable to sizzlers on the top floor of the complex)

Seems to do ok though especially with foreigners although they have a door leading directly from the Charoensi Grand Royal hotel directly into it so could explain why !

ruktur
udonmap.com

where then?

Post by ruktur » July 19, 2005, 11:22 am

so it is not acrross the charoensi complex? it is on the left or right side on the same street?

maybe my girlfriend is going to work there and I wanna now if this place should be OK for here!

thanks

PopsIcafe
Udonmap Sponsor

Post by PopsIcafe » July 19, 2005, 6:09 pm

Enricho's Italian Resturant is still open, saw him the resturant Monday. Said hi to him, he always honks his horn when he passes my place. it's right next to the Grand Royal and an entrance to the hotel.

Pop's :pirate:

businessman
udonmap.com

Post by businessman » August 15, 2005, 10:10 am

Are the ingredients sourced fresh from Italy or local alternatives?

iciodaverona
udonmap.com

Italian food outside Italy?

Post by iciodaverona » October 16, 2005, 4:15 pm

I'm not a great traveller, but i've been in other countries in Europe (Spain, Hungary and more) and in Thailand, and i think italian food outside Italy isn't good. Generally, i think it's a good idea to eat local cousine where you are.

I have seen "Bella Italia" restaurant in my last visit to Udon, and i watched to the menu; the place is beautiful and the dishes are various and typical italian, but i haven't that bravery! :)

I'm still thinking in Thailand Thai cooking is better ... only remember to say "mai phet" :wink:

Ciao, Icio
"sii montagna nella tempesta, non spiga di grano nella brezza"

Flo
udonmap.com

Post by Flo » October 19, 2005, 2:16 pm

Hi Icio, I have followed your postings during the last weeks and would like to know what you think about Udon Thani after your holiday. Which were the best places to visit, tourist attractions, the best bars, restaurants aso?
I am a 37 year old chef from Germany, I am 11 years married to my wife who is born 80 kms outside Udon and our last 7 or 8 holidays we have spent mainly in Udon. I think you had a great time and we are going to have a great time soon as we will start our yearly holiday in November.
Best regards from Germany to our Italian friends
Carsten

iciodaverona
udonmap.com

Post by iciodaverona » October 20, 2005, 5:16 pm

Halloo Carsten and all

You asked me on my holiday in Udon Thani and what i feel and think about it, and i think an articulated answer is needed:

this is for me the second trip to Udon; i've been here in summer 2004 with an expert friend who had a girl and a house in Bantad district and it was a really new world for me ... everything of this country was new but good: people, places, food ... really everything!

I loved Udon Thani since the first days but, in 2004, i stayed in the village and don't seen very much of the city and its "must to know".

In the last summer i stayed in Udorn Hotel for 2 weeks and i've seen my friend and his girl (now wife) only little times, to go to Nong Khai or for some dinner together. I walked around and explored the city first by myself (thanks a lot for the Udon city Map!), then with the help of a Thai friend who talks good English and, for the last 8 days, with a "special person" i found ... you understand what i mean? :wink:

Sorry, i haven't right here my tickets and addresses, but i can remember the names of some places i've been for eating ... (i hope names are understandable) places like Majar and Macha are very good, but i had very tasteful meals at Good Everything (near Udon City Hospital - west side of the Prajak lake) and in a little place near my hotel; i think the name is only "seafood" but the Thai owner speaks a good english (i think he had Chinese origin) and the place isn't so elegant, but good and very cheap.

I'm planning to come back in summer 2006; this city and its people are in my hearth and i think i HAVE to come ... i said i've found a "special person", you know?

Have a good time in Udon Thani and keep us informed on your trip.

Greetings, Icio
"sii montagna nella tempesta, non spiga di grano nella brezza"

jingjai
udonmap.com

MY IMPRESSIONS OF BELLA ITALIA 7/11/2005

Post by jingjai » November 14, 2005, 5:29 pm

I had dinner at Bella Italia during a recent visit to Udon. I was very disappointed. Basically it came down to this; my bill was 400 baht, 80 for wine, 80 for salad, 40 for garlic bread, and 200 for order of pasta. So 320 baht for the food. I live in Thailand, for the past six years, in a far more expensive area than Udon. I know the price of food, I know what it costs at the store and what I can get the same food at a restaurant for. I could have put the same food items together for about 25 baht cooking myself. If I went to my favourite Italian restaurant here in Jomtien I could have gotten the same food items for half the price; 160 baht. Now I'm not really complaining about the price, that's up to the owners, it's their restaurant they can charge whatever they want. However, the portions were tiny, more like side orders. I left the restaurant hungry. I mentioned my concern to the owners, Enrico and Promphan, they said the next time I come in to let them know and they'll make me a larger order. Enrico did pour me a free Sambuca. But, only because I voiced concern.
To end on a positive note; all of my other experiences in Udon were great! I am seriously considering relocating to Udon area.

Bump
udonmap.com

Re: MY IMPRESSIONS OF BELLA ITALIA 7/11/2005

Post by Bump » November 14, 2005, 6:47 pm

jingjai wrote:I had dinner at Bella Italia during a recent visit to Udon. I was very disappointed. Basically it came down to this; my bill was 400 baht, 80 for wine, 80 for salad, 40 for garlic bread, and 200 for order of pasta. So 320 baht for the food. I live in Thailand, for the past six years, in a far more expensive area than Udon. I know the price of food, I know what it costs at the store and what I can get the same food at a restaurant for. I could have put the same food items together for about 25 baht cooking myself. If I went to my favourite Italian restaurant here in Jomtien I could have gotten the same food items for half the price; 160 baht. Now I'm not really complaining about the price, that's up to the owners, it's their restaurant they can charge whatever they want. However, the portions were tiny, more like side orders. I left the restaurant hungry. I mentioned my concern to the owners, Enrico and Promphan, they said the next time I come in to let them know and they'll make me a larger order. Enrico did pour me a free Sambuca. But, only because I voiced concern.
To end on a positive note; all of my other experiences in Udon were great! I am seriously considering relocating to Udon area.
Hmm!!! I'm confused I though Bella Italai was the resturant on Posri Rd. If not I guess I better get the name right, prefer much more then Enricos establishment.

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » November 16, 2005, 5:04 pm

The Italian restaurant on Phosri road,not far from Nong Prajak,is called x Roma.
It does lovely food and huge portions.Also with each main course ordered you get free home made garlic bread and soup.
The only downside is that sometimes things listed on the menu are not available but the restaurant is well worth a visit.

Zidane
Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

Bump
udonmap.com

Post by Bump » November 16, 2005, 5:38 pm

Zidane wrote:The Italian restaurant on Phosri road,not far from Nong Prajak,is called x Roma.
It does lovely food and huge portions.Also with each main course ordered you get free home made garlic bread and soup.
The only downside is that sometimes things listed on the menu are not available but the restaurant is well worth a visit.

Zidane
Thanks definetly good food. :lol:

lee
udonmap.com

Post by lee » November 16, 2005, 5:45 pm

It looks like x Roma is on the market-

http://www.udonrealestate.com/30010.asp

Lee

Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Paul » November 17, 2005, 11:13 am

It has been for sale for at least 2 years!

re: the comment on Bella Italia

I don't think its a matter so much of WHAT you ate but WHERE you ate it.

Its one of the most prestigious locations in Udon, and probrably has a monthly rent equally as prestigious.

I have been past there hundreds of times and I have never seen more than a handful of customers in there - it must be a struggle :(

Bump
udonmap.com

Post by Bump » November 17, 2005, 1:03 pm

Paul wrote:It has been for sale for at least 2 years!

Its one of the most prestigious locations in Udon, and probrably has a monthly rent equally as prestigious.

I have been past there hundreds of times and I have never seen more than a handful of customers in there - it must be a struggle :(
Actually I don't know what happened to the qaulity of food, we used to frequent it often simply because it was such a nice change and the food was excellent. Ever bit as good a the small Enricos operation. Even held three birthday parties there in the last two years with 20 plus people.

Then our last three visits it just wasn't the same got steaks like shoe leather and on one occaion the lasagna was actually cold in the center. So we simply have not went back.

It really is a shame a it was some place special to go to dinner on occasion. I think your right the rents have got to be high. If the food qaulity had stayed the same I certainly would have continued to do my part to support it.

ctm
udonmap.com

Post by ctm » November 18, 2005, 9:28 pm

Paul wrote:It has been for sale for at least 2 years!

I thought the same as the original poster. I paid like B200 for just a tiny pasta entree with no salad, bread, or any sides. The wife had some seafood plate of similar price and proportions. I can eat Italian cheaper in America. I'm not kidding. $5.95 lunch plates with pasta, salad, bread, and drink are common.

It seems very hard to make a go of these more upscale places in Udon. He spent alot on decor. Rent is probably very "prestigious" as Paul said. And, the market is very limited.

Return to “Udon Thani Restaurants”