Mexican

Discussions on local & International restaurants and food suppliers.
admin
Admin

Post by admin » September 8, 2005, 2:37 pm

The Irish Clock and The City Lodge has Indian style curries on the menu. I haven't tried them however so I can't recommend them.

Admin

businessman
udonmap.com

Post by businessman » September 9, 2005, 1:06 pm

I am definitely up for a curry so i shall enquire on my next visit.

JimboPSM
udonmap.com

Post by JimboPSM » September 9, 2005, 2:27 pm

Andy did a very good curry at the City Lodge as an occasional special (not on the regular menu) when I stayed there.

Andy, however, would be first to agree that good as his curry is, you can get much better on the curry mile in Manchester - but that would be a long way to go for a curry. :lol:

businessman
udonmap.com

Post by businessman » September 10, 2005, 2:11 pm

Thanks Jimbo.Had some excellent curries on Samui when i was living there.Quite a large Indian population running all the tailors/dress makers.

AussieBoy
udonmap.com

Post by AussieBoy » September 15, 2005, 4:30 pm

What is the Map reference for the Mexican Place
Master Builder

polehawk
udonmap.com

Post by polehawk » September 15, 2005, 8:24 pm

Excellent review of the food items (especially LA's) but wouldn't be a Mexican joint without a pitcher of Margaritas to wash it down, IMHO. Anyone try one?

AussieBoy
udonmap.com

Post by AussieBoy » September 16, 2005, 2:56 pm

Thanks for the Map reference LA.

KAlly
Master Builder

Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Paul » September 16, 2005, 10:56 pm

admin wrote:The Irish Clock and The City Lodge has Indian style curries on the menu. I haven't tried them however so I can't recommend them.
Happened to be in the Irish Clock today (drinking coke still) and thought I would sample these Indian Curries I have heard about.

I ordered a 'Rogan Josh' and could hardly contain my anticipation

I have not had Indian curry since I arrived in Thailand - and I am sorry to say that I still have not had Indian curry :(

The meal arrived on a large plate, there was a bowl shaped portion of yellow rice on one side, and the 'curry' on the other side.
The meat was a suprise as I wasnt given a choice and came as chicken, in small bite sized pieces, there was some onion, the sauce itself and a whole tomato - fresh from the tin (and cold in the centre)

It was listed as being medium strength but I found it not even mild - there was little in the way of spiciness and to be honest I wondered whether I was eating a curry or a pasta sauce. It would have been great on a bed of spahgetti.

There were no accompaniments such a naan bread or popodums.

This curry was priced at 190 baht - which I have to say seems quite high, there were two other curries listed - one 'hot' (jalfrezi) - and the other 'mild' (korma ) priced at 160/190 baht.

I noticed that many of their menu items have had price increases (already) and off the top of my head - I remember pie and chips is now 200 baht - which makes it the most expensive western style restaurant in Udon. Steves Bar in comparrison does pie chips veg. gravy for 130 baht.

So, still searching for a good curry :(

Paul 8)

banpaeng
udonmap.com

Post by banpaeng » September 17, 2005, 12:04 am

Brings up an intersting question Paul or other forumites:

Do you think the price is increasing due to energy prices or just natural causes?

Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Paul » September 17, 2005, 10:43 am

It would appear that only the Irish clock have increased their food items - the other expat bars dont seem to have altered anything.
Incidentally - I forgot to mention that not only is the food expensive there but I noticed they are selling spirits by the bottle now and saw the price list yesterday. - Not cheap.
100 pipers was 500 baht
Sang Som was 500 baht - these can be had from the shop next door for around 140 baht. I know you are sitting inside with air con etc but 500 baht ?????????

Not for me to say what their prices are - but the proof will be in the till at the end of the night.
I was in there yesterday on a Friday evening and apart from me - there were 2 guys playing pool upstairs - that was it ! Perhaps it got busier later on ?

As for other price increases- the only noticable increase is the bus (understandably) up from 5 B to 7B. I tend to take the bus to the town centre now - 14 B return trip, and a darn sight cheaper than using the pick up. Also (unrelated) is the parking under the complex in the underground car park.
Its no secret my contempt for Thai driving - and this is what i witnessed a couple of days ago in the underground car park.
A woman was trying to reverse into a small space - aided by one of the staff with the obligatory whistle - as she reversed back and swung round, the front wing of her car swung out - as it does and scraped along a neighbouring car - much to the amusement of the attendant. The woman pulled forward again and repositioned to try again. She cleared the damaged car this time and was being waved back by the attendant - and then crunch - she backed right into the car behind her, enough to make the car she hit jump backwards. At this point she admitted defeat. i hoped she would get out and leave her phone number on at least one of the cars she damaged, and the guard should have ensured she did - but in typical thai style - she simply drove off, at which point the guard looked at me and chuckled. I was amazed and enraged and for that reason parked on the road outside the Charoensi hotel.
Its not the first time I have seen cars thumped in that car park - and I dont even use it that often so it must happen many times each day. Those attendants should be sacked ! Not only for not avoiding the crashes but also for not taking any action.

businessman
udonmap.com

Post by businessman » September 17, 2005, 1:48 pm

I love the way people are willing to leave their cars parked there across the front of a parking bay with the handbrake off so the attendants can ram the cars in front and behind to let someone out of a genuine space.

I think all the carbon monoxide must affect the brains of the parking attendants.

BangkokButcher
udonmap.com

Post by BangkokButcher » September 17, 2005, 3:07 pm

I really dont think that Thai's value their motors like people in the western world, although I may be wrong, it's just the perception I get.

In the wife's village, there was some rich guy who had a BMW 7 series, probably 5 million bahts worth new, looked pretty battered considering it's age, scratches, dings and dents all over the bloody thing, damn waste if you ask me.

Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Paul » September 17, 2005, 7:11 pm

Spot on !

Its all about image here. they will mortgage their granny just to get the biggest 3.0 4wd truck, has to have the roof rack too of course even though there is nothing to put in there and the fact that they will be paying for all this forever is irrelevant - at least the neighbours will be impressed. And then...... service history and regular maintenance are for fools - this truck will run forever surely ?
When i was looking at 2nd hand cars - there was not one which had a service history, no receipts for anything and hundreds of thousands of km on the clock.
I hear the Japanese are as fanatical about their cars as the Brits are and try to keep it as pristine as possible - and Thai people wonder why I get uspset that they park so close to me they cant avoid smashing my door when they get out of their car.
Why people have BMW's and mercedes here I dont know - coz no matter how much you love your car - the other 99% of people on the road dont care one bit. (as proven in the car park story above)

businessman
udonmap.com

Post by businessman » September 18, 2005, 10:11 am

If you walk along a line of cars and glance carefully at the doors ,you will see that most have a dent of two where they park like sardines in a can.

Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Paul » September 18, 2005, 1:15 pm

Question:

How do you get from mexican food - to indian food - to smashed up cars in an underground car park ??

Answer:

Put a post on the Udonmap Forum :)

we always tend to drift off slightly don't we :) LOL

Bump
udonmap.com

Post by Bump » September 18, 2005, 7:19 pm

Paul wrote:Question:

How do you get from mexican food - to indian food - to smashed up cars in an underground car park ??

Answer:

Put a post on the Udonmap Forum :)

we always tend to drift off slightly don't we :) LOL
Ok saw my name bantered around on the forum so I thought it was time to join, the subject Mexican food. As I said the best I have had in Thailand not California. The Sauces she makes are as good as any I have anywhere.

Using black beans instead of Pinto beans, that is typical of Cuban and maybe Carribean food, but not Mexico. I think they are hard to find here. You can go to the can refried beans, which you can find here and I do at home. It is completly different flavor.

Didn't have a picture of Margaritas but I did have one not bad.

Her style of cooking really is very different then mine, but her food overall is good. I'm a lot more creative in Burritos, for those of you don't know what a true burrito is it is really made from, left overs and can be anything that you like the taste of. Much more then just beans and cheese.

On my third visit I noticed that the qaulity of beef used was not as good as the first trip, lots of fat and grizzle. I don't know why, maybe someone else did the shopping. I can't really say if it improved or not I have been on a diet for a month or so, maybe someone else can comment.

I do know these are nice people and I will try it again when the diet is done, I also believe in supporting the new busineses that we get here even if they are not perfect.

For those who missed my comments on Thia Visa, I said they were having start adjustments and a little patience may be required until they get a few problems taken care of.

polehawk
udonmap.com

Post by polehawk » September 18, 2005, 11:09 pm

Welcome to this forum (finally), Ray. Thanks for helping Paul get this car steered away from the Indian food and back towards the new Mexican restaurant in town.

Also good to hear that they serve a "not bad" margarita there. Only drank a pitcher of them once at a meal and that was a mistake. Correction, the mistake was meeting my brother and his chum for lunch one time. The chum placed the order and I thought he was joking when he told the waitress to "bring us a pitcher of margaritas. Each." He wasn't joking. I didn't make it back to work that day. :lol:

Dakoda
udonmap.com

Post by Dakoda » September 19, 2005, 5:02 pm

Hmm, all this makes me wonder if we live in the same place! :?

BangkokButcher
udonmap.com

Post by BangkokButcher » September 19, 2005, 11:44 pm

Dakoda wrote: Hmm, all this makes me wonder if we live in the same place! :?
:lol: I know what you mean Dakoda

Return to “Udon Thani Restaurants”