American food in Udon Thani.

Discussions on local & International restaurants and food suppliers.
BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Re: American food in Udon Thani.

Post by BKKSTAN » August 3, 2009, 1:04 am

PAUL STAKER wrote:So you can get American food in the irish clock?
English,but it would help if you described what you mean by American food!
I am American,but I like spicey food so the Thai food is my main interest!Several of the expats don't eat spicey,so English food satifies their taste!
You will not have any problem finding things to eat,plenty of falang resturants in the area.Beef steak is the only thing that I have not been able to find that is worth eating.Thai beef seems to be very tough indeed,although there might be someone the knows how to process and cook it!

Everything else is plentiful!

Again,search this forum ''where to eat'',all your questions will probably be answered! :D

TJ
udonmap.com

Post by TJ » August 3, 2009, 3:41 am

Paul, if you or any other American has read this thread, you should now be comfortable that you can find plenty of American-style food among the hundred or so hotels and restaurants providing dining services in Udon Thani.

And, if you are like me, you are interested in finding American brands in grocery stores. When you go the the main shopping complex I recommend you visit the grocery store, Tops, and investigate what is on the shelves, the produce section, the meat section, etc. You will likely find quite a few well-know American brands such as Campbell soups and Ritz crackers.

The Thai saying, "same-same, but different" might well describe American-style food that you will be served and enjoy in Udon Thani.

Take Nobis Restaurant for example. Nobis is a very popular restaurant offering good food at reasonable prices. It is well-located on the same street as The Irish Clock ond other popular hotels and bars. The owner is German and the restaurant foods are German-oriented, but hardly strange to an American.

If I were to take you to Nobis for American food, I would recommend you select among "small sandwich with ham and cheese," the hamburger, and hot dog. The ham and cheese is my favorite not only because it is excellent but it only cost 65 baht which is about $1.75US. Now to explain the same-same but different. You don't get ham and cheese on sliced white bread. It comes on a freshly baked Kaiser roll. You could ask if they have sliced white bread. They will likely say no. They may have other breads which they are willing to slice for you. Take the Kaiser roll, it is good. You should know that it is important to specify whether you want mayo, mustard or whatever. These restaurants cater to a global cliental and the tastes, or fixings, are diverse. I might ask for mayo, lettuce, tomato, salt and pepper or perhaps just mustard. The same for the hamburger. Ask what it come with and order what you prefer. The hot dog they serve is quite good. I like the standard fixings, but it is not American standard. The hot dog is described as German sausage and is top quality, up there with the American pricey Nathan's hot dag. Nobi is a butcher and I think he produces most of his meats which is a big plus in my opinion. He has a farm which is the source of some of his produce. What American restaurant can match this combination. But if you ask for minced onion and mustard on your dog they will give me that.

Nobi has a great web site with pictures of most of his menu. Take a look here:

http://nobis-restaurant.com/index.php?page=menu

Did you notice the big American breakfast, Spaghetti Bolognese, and the Chili Con Carne on the menu?

The foreign-managed restaurants are in a very competitive market and the well-managed ones go the extra mile to satisfy and maintain customers. The are very receptive to giving the customer what he wants - within reason. Which helps when experiencing and enjoying dining in Udon Thani.

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » August 3, 2009, 12:43 pm

Anyone got any reports on the opening of New York , on Sat night,

Food etc

thrilled
udonmap.com

Post by thrilled » January 8, 2010, 12:09 am

Can anyone tell me why most Mcdonalds in Thailand don't sell hotcakes and sausage for breakfast?
I thought maybe asians in general don't like it.But at A Mcdonalds restaurant in Japan they have it on their menu no problem?

Texpat
udonmap.com

Post by Texpat » January 8, 2010, 12:45 am

Its mere existence annoys the hell out of many farangs here.

They like to think of themselves as highly cultured, refined connoisseurs of haute cuisine.

Hotcakes and sausage, they'll tell you, is disgusting hillbilly fare -- like 'possum and grits.

Their delicate palettes prefer the sweet wholesomeness of a pale, fat tasteless sausage boiled in a lovely murky gruel. :D

fatbas***d
udonmap.com

Post by fatbas***d » January 8, 2010, 10:45 am

Texpat wrote: Their delicate palettes prefer the sweet wholesomeness of a pale, fat tasteless sausage boiled in a lovely murky gruel. :D
Right Tex. There is no decent American or Beaner food in Udon, nothing to compare with BBQ individual(amongst many) others in bangers.Without a doubt The best hamburgers in Thailand, Image
Not even basic US or Tex Mex type fare, Like Quesadills, Fajitas, smoked ribs, corn bread.
Not knocking IC or Nobis, they do a great job for the Euros and there is CC for the Kippers, mushy pea, cardigan and flat cap crowd but nothing that comes close to the many decent restaurants in BKK.
If I want a Burrito or even a decent BBQ steak, I just do it my self.
I had high hopes for NY bar & grill, but sadly they just follow the Udon formula.

Texpat
udonmap.com

Post by Texpat » January 8, 2010, 1:00 pm

Can't argue there.

fatbas***d
udonmap.com

Post by fatbas***d » January 9, 2010, 3:16 am

Texpat wrote:Can't argue there.
Well ! there's one for the books ain't it :D agreement from Tex. :shock:

UdonExpat
udonmap.com

Post by UdonExpat » January 9, 2010, 9:25 am

Yes, Tex is certainly hard to figure. Has he regained his senses, or has he lost them?

American food is sadly lacking in Udon. No pot roasts, open faced sandwiches, BBQ sandwiches, casseroles. Things I miss, so I do them at home.

nkstan
udonmap.com

Post by nkstan » January 9, 2010, 9:54 am

UdonExpat wrote:Yes, Tex is certainly hard to figure. Has he regained his senses, or has he lost them?

American food is sadly lacking in Udon. No pot roasts, open faced sandwiches, BBQ sandwiches, casseroles. Things I miss, so I do them at home.
Not enough AMERICANS to make a business worthwhile!! :lol: :lol:

UdonExpat
udonmap.com

Post by UdonExpat » January 9, 2010, 4:22 pm

Yeah, the Brits, Aussies, and Krauts have us outnumbered and are eating out better than we can.

fatbas***d
udonmap.com

Post by fatbas***d » January 10, 2010, 8:36 am

I wouldn't say that, its just they have lower standards. :D
I found out where 651 is, so will give that a go when the kids are back at school.

old-timer
udonmap.com

Post by old-timer » January 11, 2010, 12:06 pm

Is there any nutritional value in American food, not including the McSalad ?
\:D/

PAUL STAKER
udonmap.com

Post by PAUL STAKER » March 3, 2010, 3:08 am

old-timer wrote:Is there any nutritional value in American food, not including the McSalad ?
\:D/
As opposed to what sir?

stratus
udonmap.com

Post by stratus » March 5, 2010, 11:24 am

or try the Mcshit

youwant2nome
udonmap.com

Post by youwant2nome » July 20, 2010, 1:28 pm

Where is STation Cafe?

fredwilliams
udonmap.com

Post by fredwilliams » August 9, 2010, 11:44 am

TJ's still do the best burgers in town. I always have mine cooked rare.

Their chilli is also still the best in town, even though poor old Dieter could muster up a great bowl himself.

And their grits are great, too. Just as long as their butter is fresh.

Why they stopped doing their excellent beef soup with bread remains a mystery to me.

Wow! All this from a Limey! :lol:

old-timer
udonmap.com

Post by old-timer » August 9, 2010, 12:17 pm

fredwilliams wrote:And their grits are great, too. Just as long as their butter is fresh.Why they stopped
what would you rather put in your mouth...this
shit.jpg
shit.jpg (23.35 KiB) Viewed 1670 times
or this
food.jpg
food.jpg (60.46 KiB) Viewed 1670 times
enough said.

OT................ \:D/

polehawk
udonmap.com

Post by polehawk » August 9, 2010, 12:53 pm

Hold them beans and the sausages look like they were cremated, O-T, but, yep, no contest. A proper English brekkie will keep you going the whole day. Never been a big grits fan myself.

Prenders88
udonmap.com

Post by Prenders88 » August 9, 2010, 4:41 pm

I'd love to see a classic American Diner in Udon, with lots of chrome fittings, and neon signs.
The Skyliners "Since I don't have you" coming from the 1950's jukebox.
Hickory smoked bacon, and a choice of how you want your eggs cooked.
All we need is an eccentric millionaire with vision, to come along and build it.
The nearest equivalent I have seen in Thailand, is the one in Foodland on Bangkok's Soi 5 Sukhumvit.

Return to “Udon Thani Restaurants”