fried bugs

Discussions on local & International restaurants and food suppliers.
biscuitz
udonmap.com

fried bugs

Post by biscuitz » March 5, 2010, 2:43 pm

i used to enjoy the little critters they sell on the side street, but just found out their FARM FED, not FREE RANGE.... so not eating em anymore.. :-)

Welshboy
udonmap.com

Re: fried bugs

Post by Welshboy » March 5, 2010, 3:01 pm

This is really bad news. Do you think they know they are Farm feed? Are they force feed? What do they eat? :lol:

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » March 5, 2010, 7:07 pm

" FARM FED, not FREE RANGE"
For those who might be serious about trying, but can't stomach the idea of eating caged critters (as in KFC chicken), have no fear. I've seen farm fed crickets (really!)....I saw no evidence of hormones, antibiotics, or extremely tiny cages. They're raised in screened-in areas and have plenty of room to get out and exercise.

All the fried bugs in my village are range bugs.......picked fresh from the trees/dirt. You can even pick up a dozen or so tree lizards for a tasty dish of lahb.

And we're just entering red-ant egg season......a favorite in Isan. Yum yum, nothing like red-ant eggs floating in your bowl of chicken soup!

Texpat
udonmap.com

Post by Texpat » March 5, 2010, 7:16 pm

I don't eat fish because they're confined to lakes, ponds, streams, creeks, seas, oceans and bays.

It's an OUTRAGE!

macduff
udonmap.com

Post by macduff » March 5, 2010, 7:28 pm

If your hungry you'll eat anything :roll:

LoongLee
udonmap.com

Post by LoongLee » March 5, 2010, 9:51 pm

Saw the topic and just had to make a comment.

Please bear with me to those "young whipper snappers" out there.

At the risk of boring all to tears with a "the way it used to be" story,,,,,, back in the late 60's and early 70's the American GI's used to collect huge bags full of "rice bugs" or "mang da" out at the base and take them down town and sell them,,,,,,for 1 baht apiece. The baht exchange was 20 to a dollar. The rice bugs couldn't resist the huge lights on the flight line around the aircraft parking/maintenance revetments and they would swarm in the thousands. After the GI's found out the Thai's considered them a delicacy and would buy them all, I suspect some guys spent more time collecting ricebugs than maintaining the aircraft. :lol: Ah yes,,,, those were the days,,,,, \:D/

Of course,,, most Thai's still use "essence of MangDa" in cooking and most of you have eaten it and probably don't realize it. :lol:

Cheers,,,,LL

Texpat
udonmap.com

Post by Texpat » March 5, 2010, 11:53 pm

Mang da is also a euphemism for a man who sponges off his wife/girlfriend.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » March 6, 2010, 8:50 am

Also known as a pimp....At least the real thing has a pleasant smell!

fredwilliams
udonmap.com

Post by fredwilliams » April 2, 2010, 12:32 pm

biscuitz wrote:i used to enjoy the little critters they sell on the side street, but just found out their FARM FED, not FREE RANGE.... so not eating em anymore.. :-)
A lot of them are absolutely covered in pesticides, too.

Pick your own!

wayne747
udonmap.com

Post by wayne747 » October 1, 2010, 1:24 am

Where does one find a market stand with a good selection of bugs. I went to the Songtaew market, but they only had (nice tasting, farm raised) crickets. There is a photo here in Udonmap's photo section that show a lady selling all manner of insects. Where might that be at? I have a death wish, so it is a challenge to try it out :badteeth:
Wayne

thrilled
udonmap.com

Post by thrilled » October 1, 2010, 3:16 am

I know years ago living at udon,people use to take what they called ricebugs,they would tear the head off and squeese the insides out and eat it.

nkstan
udonmap.com

Post by nkstan » October 1, 2010, 5:31 am

wayne747 wrote:Where does one find a market stand with a good selection of bugs. I went to the Songtaew market, but they only had (nice tasting, farm raised) crickets. There is a photo here in Udonmap's photo section that show a lady selling all manner of insects. Where might that be at? I have a death wish, so it is a challenge to try it out :badteeth:
Wayne
I saw baskets of different critters being sold at the NM(train station side)! \:D/

wayne747
udonmap.com

Post by wayne747 » October 1, 2010, 4:23 pm

nkstan wrote: I saw baskets of different critters being sold at the NM(train station side)! \:D/
Thanks !
Erm, but isn't all the night market on the train station side of the tracks, i.e. the west side.
Anyway, I will have a look next time. Just need to be a fresh batch. Better when they cook them while you look :-&

panick
udonmap.com

Post by panick » October 2, 2010, 1:06 am

Silk worms ....
Deep fried and lightly salted Aroi..aroi!!!
A bit like eating "Chip Sticks" =P~

wayne747
udonmap.com

Post by wayne747 » October 2, 2010, 3:08 am

Can anybody give a more precise place than "the night market". I assume the stands are pretty constant :-)
Thanks, will have a go at the silk worms. The locusts look interesting too, but the cockroaches look scary

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » October 2, 2010, 6:01 am

panick wrote:Silk worms ....
Deep fried and lightly salted Aroi..aroi!!!
A bit like eating "Chip Sticks" =P~
Available at Makro in the frozen food section, come in 1 kilo package.

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » October 2, 2010, 8:01 am

i am only eating the dry type, well fried , my favourites are meng tjingliet, and takketein(grasshoppers) , i am not in to the thick mealy tasting ones ,like dakdei , ( silkworm) , noun mai phai ( bambooworm),or the mengda (it is meng not mang), this is probably what wayne747 meant, as according to my wife they do not eat cockroaches...strangely enough they think this is dirty animal and stinks....
anyway enjoy your food what ever you are eating....

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » October 2, 2010, 8:56 am

kopkei wrote:i am only eating the dry type, well fried , my favourites are meng tjingliet, and takketein(grasshoppers) , i am not in to the thick mealy tasting ones ,like dakdei , ( silkworm) , noun mai phai ( bambooworm),or the mengda (it is meng not mang), this is probably what wayne747 meant, as according to my wife they do not eat cockroaches...strangely enough they think this is dirty animal and stinks....
anyway enjoy your food what ever you are eating....
Kpokei means 'Tukatan', not 'takketein', for grasshopper. Think Tukatan Chollada, the young singer although in Lao/Isaan 'grasshopper' is 'Tukatome' or 'Tukatone', I forget which. Cockroaches are dirty insects (not animals). Funny, Mexicans like eating them but, as you say, not the Thais/Lao.

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » October 2, 2010, 9:37 am

sorry laan ya mo,
i am writing phonetic, as the thai or isaan people pronounce it, & 100% it is takketein, my wife does not know what tukatan ( chollada?)tukatome, tukatone?? means , or are you staying maybe near the border or have wife from cambodia she asked? , never mind how you call it, as long as you like it....

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » October 2, 2010, 9:47 am

ตั๊กแตน ชลดา: Tukatan Chollada, the name of the young singer, and the one featured in my avatar. Tukatan means 'grasshopper'. Thai and Isaan people pronounce the word differently. The one I have, Tukatan, is the way the lady herself pronounces her name, and is the way Thais pronounce it. I have met her. In Isaan, it is pronounced 'Tukatone' or 'Tukatome'. I think your 'Takketein' is probably her 'Tukatan' although the 'etein' seems to be the problem. Tukatan Chollada was born in Khorat. Is this getting confusing or what?

Maybe Udon pronunciation is different than Khorat or Buriram or Nakhon Phanom pronunciation. Who knows?

'How much wood would a woodchuck chuck, if a woodchuck would chuck wood'? I think we have entered that territory. 55555

Oh, I am not going to eat grasshoppers be they Tukatan or Takketein, although I have eaten other insects.

Return to “Udon Thani Restaurants”