How can they serve it for 49baht??

Discussions on local & International restaurants and food suppliers.
Jing Jing
udonmap.com

Post by Jing Jing » March 27, 2012, 11:16 am

I looked at the prices at the steak place in the Preecha Market the other night and the price is ฿59 for many of the dinners. So maybe the prices will need to increase to reflect the increase in food and supplies. The steak places in the night markets do not sell ice and drinks these are sold separately sold by another vendor. Maybe some of the sidewalk vendors can sell for a lower price due to the cost of their restaurant space.

mortiboy
udonmap.com

Post by mortiboy » March 28, 2012, 9:17 pm

[quote="pienmash"]Its called a "loss leader" Harmony ...... tho i would rather eat one of my shoes than that !!.......... remember some locals arent in to making a profit ........ its about having a roof and surviving day to day , standard THAI business facts LIVE FOR TODAY .

You Thailand experts should know that ..

mash[/quote]
Yes! but you cant do for the same price ! can you dear? :mrgreen:

pienmash
Udonmap Sponsor

Post by pienmash » March 29, 2012, 11:35 am

Oh wel here we go again , had it on the other channel now morti wants a pop on UM as well ...

To answer your question , i wouldnt do it at any price as the new restaurant only has 5 Thai dishes all the same price , its not about can or cant do it of course witha brand new kitchen we can cook anything wether it makes 10bt or 40 profit is irrelevent ....it does go with what iam opening at Nong Sim .

Thai foos like this is great for a quick inexpensive lunch or evening feed , many live on these dishes nd the places that sell them do very well on footfall so wll make money .

Mash .

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » March 29, 2012, 6:42 pm

Not quite sure what the last paragraph means although it seems to say Thai restaurants that sell these dishes make a profit, and many Thais like to eat these dishes, which I take are the inexpensive ones - 30-49 baht.
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

pienmash
Udonmap Sponsor

Post by pienmash » March 30, 2012, 3:20 pm

Sorry LYM.... my fat fingers missing the keys again.

my last sentence basically means that the type of Thai food being discussed ie: 25-50 bt lat khao etc n smaller inexpensive dishes are the main diet for many of all nationalities and im sure the outlets that sell them do ok profitwise as they usually have a high number of footfall customers .

mash

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » March 30, 2012, 7:15 pm

Yes, agreed. Thanks.
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

harmonyudon
udonmap.com

Post by harmonyudon » March 31, 2012, 9:24 am

parrot wrote:"how can they make profit?"
That's food for thought for those considering competing against the locals. By the time you take into account
wages for the worker(s), rent, electric, gas, shopping costs, ingredients, napkins, appliances/dishes, water,
upkeep/maintenance, tax-title-license......
Also waste,sauces,ice and if take-away also packaging.

'volume with small margins' yes.....margin on drinks yes...

but most of the (small)thai restaurants offers drinkwater free with or without ice.
Yesterday i've eaten/lunch in a thai restaurant and saw 10-12 customers.
Most of them did not order drinks...estimated total checkbins 360bht. :| :-s

Another thing what i'm wondering is that in some farang restaurants there are bottles
of HP-sauce on the table and you can take as much as you want.

@Jon,
Is HP not more expensive than red/black label?? Can't imagine that a bar/restaurant
owner offers red/black label for free....hehehe

ting_tong
udonmap.com

Post by ting_tong » April 4, 2012, 6:28 pm

just ate there, double chicken, side fries and "free water" 108 baht

the place is inbetween 7-11 and ruysuk opposite side of the road

wilson_smith
udonmap.com

Post by wilson_smith » September 24, 2012, 10:08 pm

this place is still running and still a good value for the money.

the size of the serving is still the same and very good.
the lady that was the staff that works there is now the owner.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » September 24, 2012, 10:36 pm

Just turning what has been said earlier into my way of thinking .............
The reason that they can sell it at B49 is that they have very small portions of very cheap ingredients. Yes they do have a lot of people eating (many more than a farang place) ..... but most farang establishments would have a lot of customers if what they sold only lasted 30 minutes before we were all hungry again (as with many Thai meals). A B49 meal 6 times a day comes to B300 which is about the same as a medium sized breakfast and an average evening meal (without drinks) in a farang place.

harmonyudon
udonmap.com

Post by harmonyudon » September 24, 2012, 11:28 pm

by ting_tong » March 25, 2012, 8:12 pm

they been there about 2 months already, give them another 4 months and see what new business moves in?
I been to the steak place a few times, and have not seen the old residents.....
the business before was a karaoke, I remember seeing large rats running across the floor and side of the shop!
they been there about 2 months already, give them another 4 months and see what new business moves in?
I been to the steak place a few times, and have not seen the old residents.....
the business before was a karaoke, I remember seeing large rats running across the floor and side of the shop!
Sorry ting_tong....it seems that this steakhouse on the adunyadet road is still doing well, also with a lot of take away orders.
Don't be a loser, don't comment on others if u haven't achieved a thing.
Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.

hermajesty
udonmap.com

Post by hermajesty » September 25, 2012, 11:09 am

if you want to see a sucessful thai restaurant, go up the street from Ruysuk and visit Nong New, a lady and her Aunt run it, live there and have many Thai and farang customers.
The lady has a degree in hotel management but flips eggs and thai food, she is sharp. She and the Aunt cook the best Thai food in Udon.[/quote]

I would like to "see" this place :-)
I am confused, though. There seems to be 2 Ruysuks?? One on Adunyadet and one on a ring road...?? After reading through the thread it seems the Ruysuk being referred to is on Adunyadet, maybe.

Thanks in advance for any clarification.
HM

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » September 25, 2012, 12:01 pm

hermajesty wrote:if you want to see a sucessful thai restaurant, go up the street from Ruysuk and visit Nong New, a lady and her Aunt run it, live there and have many Thai and farang customers.
The lady has a degree in hotel management but flips eggs and thai food, she is sharp. She and the Aunt cook the best Thai food in Udon.

I would like to "see" this place :-)
I am confused, though. There seems to be 2 Ruysuks?? One on Adunyadet and one on a ring road...?? After reading through the thread it seems the Ruysuk being referred to is on Adunyadet, maybe.

Thanks in advance for any clarification.
HM
I've been there once and thought the food was much like any other mom & pop run eatery.

Yes on Adunyadet, just up the street from Ruy Suk heading away from the mall.

Also, another place for very good Thai food...

http://www.udonmap.com/udonthaniforum/b ... 25371.html

If you're having one those days can't decide between Thai or western food, I recommend Seaside restaurant on Soi Sampon, quality & value.

http://www.udonmap.com/udonthaniforum/s ... 25314.html

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » September 25, 2012, 1:40 pm

The Ruysuk on Adunyadet is the old one and known to many expats - always was a good place to stay, and probably still is. The majority of the guests at Ruysuk were farangs. I think the restaurant opposite is in a good location to capitalise on this.
The New Ruysuk on the ringroad near the global house intersection is run by the same family, and is a very nice hotel, but not specifically aimed at foreigners (not much info in English). My daughter stayed there at Songkran; they liked the hotel, excellent facilities but the food was poor; don't know if that has improved yet.

thrilled
udonmap.com

Post by thrilled » September 26, 2012, 3:34 am

Don't forget the drink.Theres A big mark up on soda,beer etc.

harmonyudon
udonmap.com

Post by harmonyudon » October 1, 2012, 3:31 pm

If we are talking about Thai food a VERY good value for money is still the buffet restaurant, 79 baht, all you can eat,
opposite UD-town.

Read here some reviews:
http://www.udonmap.com/udonthaniforum/n ... 24768.html

I am still wondering how they can make profit??????
Don't be a loser, don't comment on others if u haven't achieved a thing.
Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » October 1, 2012, 4:04 pm

Not sure if this is the restaurant mentioned previously on Adunyadet road opposite Ruysuk, but 'have used 'Terrace steak' the last 2 nights. They do still do a steak meal for 49 baht, but most items 59 baht. Have tried the pork steak, chicken steak and pork spaghetti and all were decent portions (all 59 baht). Soft drinks 15 baht. May be fractionally cheaper in night market or some other places, but Terrace steak is pretty busy - it may not appear so but 50% of business is takeaway. Also food is served hot, a rarity in your typical Thai restaurant. And although flavours/ingredients not quite same as in typical western food, the food is fine, and staff friendly.

Return to “Udon Thani Restaurants”