prosessed cheese

Discussions on local & International restaurants and food suppliers.
timmy
udonmap.com

prosessed cheese

Post by timmy » July 8, 2014, 9:02 am

i was in a bar / restaurant a few days ago , and saw i guy order cheese and beans on toast , when it arrived
it was the prosessed cheese squares "the 1s they sell in 7/11 " on top of the beans and toast , i saw the guy
looking at it , but he ate it , i asked him about the meal he said he was dispointed because the bar sold propper
cheese to take home so expected it with his meal . who else would expect real cheese with a meal here ?
i do know the cost of cheese is high in thailand , so would you pay more for a meal with cheddar cheese ?
i only wonder :-k

jingjai
udonmap.com

prosessed cheese

Post by jingjai » July 8, 2014, 1:50 pm

Yes, I agree the individually wrapped processed cheese like substance sucks. I have never understood why some restaurants use the stuff. Probably, just easier. It certainly isn't cheaper than the NZ Anchor cheddar cheese in the 2kg block. Compare the prices of 2kg of the individually wrapped stuff and the 2kg block, the next time one is in Makro.
I also buy for the NZ Anchor cheddar cheese in the 2kg block from Makro, I think it's around 700 THB per block. It ain't aged English Cheddar...but, it good for sandwiches, burgers, omelets, or just plain nibbling on w/crackers, etc.
In case anyone is wondering...if you cut off say 8 ounces or so, and then properly wrap up the rest, the block will stay fresh, and last for a few months or more.

jingjai
udonmap.com

prosessed cheese

Post by jingjai » July 20, 2014, 12:55 pm

One would think, that after 13 days from the date of the OP of this thread, many of Udon's farang owned eateries, would have replied, with a post similar to this: "The taste of real cheese is significantly different and we sell a lot of burgers, I would rather sell burgers with good cheese and the customers are happy and return".
timmy wrote:i was in a bar/restaurant a few days ago, and i saw a guy order cheese and beans on toast, when it arrived, it was the processed cheese squares, "the 1's they sell in 7/11", on top of the beans and toast, i saw the guy looking at it, but he ate it, i asked him about the meal, he said he was disappointed because the bar sold proper cheese to take home, so expected it with his meal. who else would expect real cheese with a meal here?
i do know the cost of cheese is high in thailand, so would you pay more for a meal with cheddar cheese?
i only wonder :-k
timmy, I think it is time you named this restaurant in question. Don't you?

Come on, Udon farang owned eateries, state your position on the "cheese issue"! :-"

SkyyWalker
udonmap.com

prosessed cheese

Post by SkyyWalker » July 20, 2014, 2:14 pm

I buy 2kg blocks of cheddar & Mozzarella at Makro, too. Jingjai, you mentioned that if properly wrapped, the cheese will last several months...cheese doesn't last that long at my house! Actually, upon arriving home from Makro, I chop each chunk of cheese in half. One half goes in the freezer and the other half gets shredded.

Go Cornhuskers!

mortiboy
udonmap.com

prosessed cheese

Post by mortiboy » July 21, 2014, 1:05 pm

"One half goes in the freezer and the other half gets shredded."

Surely ,shouldn't that be the other way round?
I find shredded cheese last better in the freezer
If freeze a whole block, it tends to fall apart upon thawing!
Mai mee tahng !

TGSA01
udonmap.com

prosessed cheese

Post by TGSA01 » July 21, 2014, 4:28 pm

Well, thanks for the tip on cheese at MAKRO, bought a 2kg block of NZ Cheddar there today, Baht 790. Yes, frozen whole block cheese does fall apart when thawing (same with Australian and European cheese, tried both), shredded keeps really well. And great for pasta especially!

davecryan
udonmap.com

prosessed cheese

Post by davecryan » July 21, 2014, 7:08 pm

I cut the Block into 8 or 10 equal pieces, wrap them individually in cling film. Keep some in the fridge for immediate use, freeze the remainder and then take out as required. No big thaw/ collapse further down the line.

Return to “Udon Thani Restaurants”