Thai Buffets

Discussions on local & International restaurants and food suppliers.
Bob4you
udonmap.com

Thai Buffets

Post by Bob4you » October 22, 2005, 9:19 pm

My favorite place to eat is the buffet on the corner across from the Mall. Always fresh, and a lot of choices including salad bar and soup, all you can eat for B50 :P

Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Paul » October 22, 2005, 9:27 pm

I ate there once and thought it was crap - never been back.

You can't please all the people all of the time !

Can't beat the CGR Hotel lunch buffet 180 baht - an absolute feast.

Bob4you
udonmap.com

$1.25 vs $4.50

Post by Bob4you » October 22, 2005, 9:37 pm

I would expect the food to be better there, but at the price and the fact that mine is available 24 hours a day I will eat there often but will try yours based on your recommendation, what are the days and hours?

Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Paul » October 22, 2005, 9:43 pm

Every day, don't know what time it starts (I always go about 12) but it finishes at 2pm

And its not 'mine' - I wish it was LOL

PopsIcafe
Udonmap Sponsor

Post by PopsIcafe » October 22, 2005, 10:50 pm

I have eaten at the CGR also, nice selections of both western foods and Thai. I usually eat breakfast there once in a great while for 140 baht. This last time though the selection for breakfast kind of lessen. But I still seem to get my fill.

Pop's :pirate:

Dakoda
udonmap.com

Post by Dakoda » October 23, 2005, 6:08 am

very harsh, Paul. I have been a few times, but first remember it is a "Thai Buffet". So expect Thai foods. Before we leave we always get a couple of salads to go, which we have for dinner. Not bad we get lunch and dinner for 100 baht. :lol:

Now if you are really hungry, you can't beat the CGR Hotel lunch buffet for 180 baht. Plus I even recognize some of the dishes. :lol:

Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Paul » October 23, 2005, 4:42 pm

Firstly - why is it harsh?
Just an honest opinion of what I thought

Perhaps I chose a bad time to visit - but the selection was very poor, not hot and not exactly tasty either. But what suits one does not always suit another!

Secondly - I know its a Thai buffet, I didn't say anything to the contrary.
As it is posted in large letters all over the windows - I fully expect Thai food.

lee
udonmap.com

Post by lee » October 24, 2005, 9:12 am

You can't please all the people all of the time !

Can't beat the CGR Hotel lunch buffet 180 baht - an absolute feast.
I totally agree, the Thai food was average, not hot and not really that tasty, I haven't been back too. However they're still there so they must be doing something right.

I'm not really a big fan of buffets but I have to agree that the Charoensri Grand hotel tops all, I like to go there once a month for as good feed. I like the kebabs and steaks that are cooked to your specs while you wait and you can eat as many as you can manage. =P~

BangkokButcher
udonmap.com

Post by BangkokButcher » October 24, 2005, 8:14 pm

What are those Korean BBQ's like?

They sounded like good value at 69 baht, just never got to visit one :(

Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Paul » October 24, 2005, 10:37 pm

The price depends on which one you go to. My favourite is just next to Ozzie pub2 and has live music whilst you eat.
I personally cant see the point of going to a restaurant and then having to cook the food yourself - but seems I am in the minority - so I just let the missus cook it and I just eat it bit by bit as it comes.

Most of them have a selection of meats vegetables seafood etc and you grab a plateful and take it to your table to cook it. Some have steaks made to order and often there is ice cream and fresh fruit too.

The one I mentioned is (I think) 99 baht however it sits on a small lake, has live music, steaks and large bottles of beer for only 60 baht - can't fault it :)

Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Paul » October 24, 2005, 10:42 pm

The price depends on which one you go to. My favourite is just next to Ozzie pub2 and has live music whilst you eat.
I personally cant see the point of going to a restaurant and then having to cook the food yourself - but seems I am in the minority - so I just let the missus cook it and I just eat it bit by bit as it comes.

Most of them have a selection of meats vegetables seafood etc and you grab a plateful and take it to your table to cook it. Some have steaks made to order and often there is ice cream and fresh fruit too.

The one I mentioned is (I think) 99 baht however it sits on a small lake, has live music, steaks and large bottles of beer for only 60 baht - can't fault it :)

BangkokButcher
udonmap.com

Post by BangkokButcher » October 24, 2005, 11:20 pm

Sounds like a nice choice Paul, I actually do like the sound of cooking my own food, get it the way I like it then ;)

banpaeng
udonmap.com

Post by banpaeng » October 24, 2005, 11:31 pm

I agree BB on the right choice. Lets see Beer, Food, Music, Nice Scenery. Sounds like someone trying to get romantic.

BangkokButcher
udonmap.com

Post by BangkokButcher » October 25, 2005, 12:02 am

banpaeng wrote:Sounds like someone trying to get romantic.
That reminds me, I really must get some more training in, very rarely happens any more :cry:

Dakoda
udonmap.com

Post by Dakoda » October 26, 2005, 10:32 pm

What are those Korean BBQ's like?
So, what the wife calls Bar Ba Q, is Korean. Have had BBQ, at beer gardens, somewhere, japanese place, and at home, they deliver!
me too! Also I have a hard time believe this is BBQ! Now if there was a rack of ribs with BBQ sause, then I could believe and enjoy it! :)

JimboPSM
udonmap.com

Post by JimboPSM » October 27, 2005, 12:47 am

Finally remembered to ask my wife about the place across from the mall as I know she did eat there with her Mother the last time we were in Udon.

She agrees with Paul & Lee, the food was not so good when she ate there but she only ate there once and was not inclined to return :(

She thinks it does well and gets a lot of its trade because of its location.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » October 27, 2005, 12:56 am

I've been to two Korean BBQs in Thailand one in Udon (but don't ask me where, was driven there) and one just outside Bangdun. The later was on my first trip to Udon and had just flown from Heathrow &, frankly, I would have eaten anything, so i quite enjoyed it. After eating Thai food, to be honest, I found it a little bland and would eat Thai in preference. BUT, it was certainly not unpleasant and I quite liked the idea of picking whatever you wanted to have. It was certainly excellent value for money and the Thais with me seemed to enjoy it.

businessman
udonmap.com

Post by businessman » October 27, 2005, 10:20 am

A Korean BBQ is more than just the food,it's a very sociable meal out with everyone chipping in and cooking rather than just sitting there and waiting.It's big in Nong Khai and it's a good family meal out.

ctm
udonmap.com

Post by ctm » November 4, 2005, 6:30 pm

The Korean BBQ across from Charoen Hotel on the same road and side of the street as Aek Udon is good. Lots of food choices. Satay, fried rice, beef, fish, chicken, pork, fish balls etc. B69 or B79. They also use gas instead of charcoal. Easier to maintain a constant temperature and not be smoked/steamed out your seat. The open pit of coals can get hot to sit next to.

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » February 21, 2006, 5:39 am

I know this is an old topic but just had to do a post on it, its one of my favourites to go to Mc nuea yung gaolee,( korean BBQ ) fantastic value eat as much as you like all fresh and cook it your self, feed 10 people for small money and good fun.
Last time i was in Thailand i did buy the ally cooking top to use at home in uk,and you can buy the sauce here to, looking forward to visiting the resturant when back in udon. my mouth is watering as i type this.
Also did look in the window of the buffet place once and gave it a wide berth. :roll:
Can You Dig It Dug.?

Return to “Udon Thani Restaurants”