General Discussion of Smoking in Bars & Restaurants

Discussions on local & International restaurants and food suppliers.
AlexO
udonmap.com

Re: Bars and restaurants that allow smoking

Post by AlexO » October 10, 2018, 8:45 pm

Old Grumpy wrote:
October 10, 2018, 8:13 pm
Smoking in bars is okay by me cause I never go to one, but smoking in a restaurant, definite no no .I wonder why people would want to eat in a bar ?
Sometimes the food is quite good. We are not all evangelists.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » October 10, 2018, 10:33 pm

I never go to bars so it does not bother me if someone lights up or not. but it is difficult to fathom why anyone would want to have such a nasty habit as smoking. What is the point?

Smoking or vaping of any kind should be banned in restaurants
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

mackat
udonmap.com

Post by mackat » October 10, 2018, 10:52 pm

I have never smoked but most of the people that I know in Udon do. If it is an open plan I don't give a ----. I value friendship over the smoking issue and I don't like to dictate to people what they should do.

MALC
udonmap.com

Post by MALC » October 10, 2018, 11:55 pm

I am a ex smoker now vape.but i have never smoked in a restaurant ever.but in a bar yes i have,

Hoopoe
udonmap.com

Post by Hoopoe » October 11, 2018, 6:13 am

Afew years ago , when the Russians were plentyful down in Patts , ,i was surprised when the first restaurant i walked into most people were smoking ,looking round i then noticed it was Russian owned , seems they didn't give a toss , it was shortly after the ban was brought in , at the time all the bars were adhering to the ban , but then they brought in extra seat's to place on the outer edges of the bars for people to smoke , i'm ex smoker 2&1/2 years now one of those lucky ones were unless it's blown directly into my face ,it doesn't bother me ,so my advice is instead of spitting the dummy out about certain bars on here , YOU HAVE FEET , JUST WALK ON BY

papafarang
udonmap.com

Post by papafarang » October 11, 2018, 7:22 am

Hoopoe "YOU HAVE FEET , JUST WALK ON BY" simple sound advice. and congratulations on quitting, just coming up to 21 months for me :D
Hansa village clubhouse . Tel 0981657001 https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Han ... 5851?hl=en

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » October 11, 2018, 7:49 am

Yep couldn't agree more, it's everyone's right to sit or not sit anywhere they like for any reason. Smoking's a toughie, the smoke is very hard to contain and to be honest it smells horrible, I stopped about 15 years ago but I still fancy a cigarette every now and again, it's a tough thing to give up and I admire anyone that quits, it takes huge amounts of determination. At the end of the day it has to be a commercial decision by the bar/restaurant owners, they have to decide where they will be better placed financially, as I've said on the other thread, the busiest bars I've been to in Udon don't allow smoking but they don't cater for farang either.
The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » October 11, 2018, 9:08 am

It's really down to sifting out the bars that serve food where alcohol sales are the primary revenue stream rather than actual restaurants that serve primarily food. The latter will be pretty much guaranteed to be compliant with the law and likely to have a dedicated smoking area. The bar with a good kitchen is the tough nut to crack as you may go one day and there's maybe only 1 or 2 smokers, the wind blows the right way and it is all hunky dory. Then you go back a couple of weeks later and it coincides with a regulars birthday or even a sports fixture and the place is heaving with guys on gaspers. Just add it to the knowledge base and go back when you know it's less likely to be ghastly. Just don't expect owners to ask half a dozen guys to stub out their smokes while you enjoy your steak & kidney pie.

And DEFINITELY don't post negative opinions about the size of owners brain, genitals or wife either.

I am an ex- ciggie smoker and a semi-regular cigar guy but I can't stand cigarette smoke in my face regardless if I am eating or even having a cigar. There's some smokers who need the burning fag in their hand and waving about scattering ashes as they talk. Then there's others that seem to be unable to properly stub it out in the ashtray. Then you get that delightful, burning filter aroma. I have been known to quietly drop an ice cube in the ashtray of serial offenders.

On the other extreme, you have the more emotive non-smoking diner who finds the smell of stale cigarettes on other patrons clothes as just a bridge too far. IMHO, there's no hope for them and they best stay at home and do food panda or similar.

As Bamber Gascoigne used to say, "Here's your starter for 10..."

Udon TAP: No smoking inside but plenty, comfy places to smoke out front and in the beer garden bit.
Chris's Place: No smoking inside, table for up to 4, 5 or 6 (depending on the fat guys) out front for the smokers.
Le Gallery: Not allowed inside but decent, quiet (ok... sometimes rowdy) smokers playtime area out front.
T-Bar: Not inside, small table outside for those that do.
Elephant: Smoking allowed. Shouldn't be too hard to get a table away from any smoke and they have fans too.
Brick House: I imagine that smoking is allowed out front but not inside? Not a regular there so maybe someone who is (and smokes) can correct me since it is an open-plan, non-aircon place.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » October 11, 2018, 9:23 am

Here's me being socially conscious last night in Rangoon...
last night in rangoon.jpg
Cheers!
I was the only bugger in the bar for all happy hour and other customers only started showing up well after I had finished the stogie (and was well bladdered).

MusicalBars
udonmap.com

Post by MusicalBars » October 11, 2018, 10:17 am

in reply to tamada post the Brick House does allow smoking inside and out but due to the different area layout you can usually find a table far enough away from smokers so it dosent affect you I had a friend in there with me last month who I have known to go tell people to put there cigs out and he had no complaints as we were divided enough to be uneffected

papafarang
udonmap.com

Post by papafarang » October 11, 2018, 11:08 am

pointless Brick house trying to stop it , open plan . as I said I can smell a ciggy from 20 paces.so even if I sat inside and there was no smokers sitting outside I would be getting wafts of cigs from across the road anyway. that's the odd thing with giving up, you suddenly realise how far the smell reaches
Hansa village clubhouse . Tel 0981657001 https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Han ... 5851?hl=en

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » October 11, 2018, 11:13 am

That's very true Dean.
The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

minimiglia
udonmap.com

Post by minimiglia » October 11, 2018, 11:59 am

Any where allowing smoking with eating can forget me as a customer, absolutely disgusting

mech_401
udonmap.com

Post by mech_401 » October 11, 2018, 12:16 pm

tamada wrote:
October 11, 2018, 9:08 am
iam an ex- ciggie smoker and a semi-regular cigar guy but I can't stand cigarette smoke in my face regardless if I am eating or even having a cigar.
is 2nd- hand cigar smoke preferable to 2nd- hand
ciggie smoke? should you be blowing either on
other patrons who are dining? shows no manners

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » October 11, 2018, 1:21 pm

mech_401 wrote:
October 11, 2018, 12:16 pm
tamada wrote:
October 11, 2018, 9:08 am
iam an ex- ciggie smoker and a semi-regular cigar guy but I can't stand cigarette smoke in my face regardless if I am eating or even having a cigar.
is 2nd- hand cigar smoke preferable to 2nd- hand
ciggie smoke? should you be blowing either on
other patrons who are dining? shows no manners
Let's see now. Among a whole lot of other stuff, I said (with emphasis)
... I can't stand cigarette smoke in my face regardless if I am eating or even having a cigar...
So where are you coming from suggesting that I may have some sort of preference for buggering up someone elses clear air?

I'll clarify. I totally agree that ANY sort of tobacco smoke is inconsiderate of people dining be they smokers or otherwise. I also opine that ANY sort of tobacco smoke can be irritating even among fellow smokers.

HOWEVER, diners who are non-smokers who chose to dine in an open-air type establishment that does not have to legally prevent other non-dining customers cigarette smoke from funking up the dining area do so at entirely their own risk and fully cognizant of the risk that second-hand smoke will exist.

mech_401
udonmap.com

Post by mech_401 » October 11, 2018, 1:54 pm

in one breath you're bragging about smoking cigars in restaurants, and in the next yelling us
you don't do so. whatever mister make-believe :-s

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » October 11, 2018, 2:23 pm

mech_401 wrote:
October 11, 2018, 1:54 pm
in one breath you're bragging about smoking cigars in restaurants, and in the next yelling us
you don't do so. whatever mister make-believe :-s
Ah... I see that the subtle nuance of emoji-less and emoticon-less forum banter on different threads went way over your little head.

FWIW, Apart from Papa's Steakhouse in Houston before a city ordinance repealed it, I do not smoke cigars in restaurants but I have smoked cigars in bars that serve food.

It's OK Grasshopper... you have time yet.
youre welcome.jpg
youre welcome.jpg (48.94 KiB) Viewed 2172 times

trekkertony
udonmap.com

Post by trekkertony » October 12, 2018, 4:08 am

Thankfully society has moved forward and addressing the issue of smoke free dining in designated dining venues. Next on the list should be hotel accommodation. Following someone else in a hotel room who smoked within the room leaves a stench that even the most fastidious room cleaners cxannot eradicate.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » October 12, 2018, 6:44 am

trekkertony wrote:
October 12, 2018, 4:08 am
Thankfully society has moved forward and addressing the issue of smoke free dining in designated dining venues. Next on the list should be hotel accommodation. Following someone else in a hotel room who smoked within the room leaves a stench that even the most fastidious room cleaners cxannot eradicate.
I think most hotels in LOS, 3 star and up, will have designated non-smoking rooms and floors and higher-end ones will fine guests that do abuse their rules. For the most part it works out OK. However, the surge of Chinese travelers is stressing this as they just don't seem to care. I have stayed at a couple of hotels in Pattaya that segregated rooms but where the bulk of their clientele are now Chinese tour groups. I have been given a non-smoking room that smells like a wet ashtray. I don't use those hotels any more since they aren't interested in the law, other peoples health or fining anyone and just want to rake in the cash.

mech_401
udonmap.com

Post by mech_401 » October 12, 2018, 10:02 am

tamada wrote:
November 17, 1974, 7:44 pm
FWIW, Apart from Papa's Steakhouse in Houston before a city ordinance repealed it, I do not smoke cigars in restaurants
there you go again smoking in restaurants unless told not to? its difficult to follow your babbling? maybe just pick one side of the fence mr contrary

Return to “Udon Thani Restaurants”