"Pig in the Sky"

Discussions on local & International restaurants and food suppliers.
Dakoda
udonmap.com

"Pig in the Sky"

Post by Dakoda » November 19, 2005, 6:34 pm

Just had dinner at the "Pig in the Sky" place. I would do a review, but it looks like it would be "Blatant Advertising" and be deleted, so I guess, you will need to try it yourself to see if it is anygood. :lol:

8)

lee
udonmap.com

Post by lee » November 19, 2005, 6:42 pm

Do I detect a hint of sarcasm? :-k lol

admin
Admin

Post by admin » November 19, 2005, 7:26 pm

Just had dinner at the "Pig in the Sky" place. I would do a review, but it looks like it would be "Blatant Advertising" and be deleted, so I guess, you will need to try it yourself to see if it is anygood.
I think you're missing the point Dakoda. This is what I wrote in reply to obvious ramping;

We have no problem with our forum members recommendations and we all enjoy reading their reviews, however 1 liner opening posts which make claims like 'best food in Udon', 'best food all round', 'give it a try' etc, especially on a visitors first post to this forum will be deemed as advertising and the name of the establishment will be censored. However the post will not be deleted and if you think this is unfairly censored then we may consider removing the censor.

We can usually tell the spam from the honest postings and we will only delete if necessary.
Admin

polehawk
udonmap.com

Post by polehawk » November 19, 2005, 10:27 pm

Sounds like the pigsty door is open, Dakoda. Interesting name for a restaurant. Guessing it must be a BBQ joint? So, how was the food and the ambience? :D

Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Paul » November 19, 2005, 11:08 pm

Dakoda:

Whatever you do - dont say you ate spam there - it will really confuse things LOL
:fryingpan:

lee
udonmap.com

Post by lee » November 20, 2005, 9:32 am

Paul, I was about to press the delete button until I realized that you were talking about the meat variety of spam LOL :lol:

valentine

Post by valentine » November 20, 2005, 9:51 am

SPAM, as in the words to the marching song," The navy gets the gravy, but the army gets the ,Spam, spam spam. Maybe your all to young to remember that from the last war!!!

Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Paul » November 20, 2005, 4:27 pm

Well - speaking for myself , ahemmmm most definitely so !

Pops might have a few yarns to tell though about the war

Especially the first world war !
\:D/

PopsIcafe
Udonmap Sponsor

Post by PopsIcafe » November 20, 2005, 8:14 pm

First world war????!!!!!! Heck son I remember when Custer got his backside kicked by the chyenes at the little big horn.......geeez

Pop's :pirate:

Byt the way Paul, heard you and Hitler weren't the best of friends :yikes:

valentine

Post by valentine » November 20, 2005, 8:34 pm

Sorry folks, I guess I started that little detour, so I will endeavour to bring back on topic. Pig in the sky. My visit was at midday so cannot comment on restaurant. My purpose in going was to purchase the ham, bacon and sausages previously the subject of a forum discourse.There were 3 Thai ladies, one young and two much older in attendance. The youngest had her hand over her mouth laughing the whole time at my Thai speaking. The others tried to be helpful but didn't know the produce range. I understood there was no bacon, slicer broke. I looked at some nice tasty looking sausages which were shrink wrapped with no apparent date on, so no idea how fresh, or not.I picked out a nice packet with two sausages in and no name on. The old lady said 75baht, but didn't know what they contained. I showed her the price list and asked her to point to the ones on it, thinking I could read for myself. She didn't know, I was rather puzzled by how she knew the price but didn't know what they were.
I declined to buy anything, so can't really comment whether they were good, bad or indifferent.I was concerned at the lack of dating though.

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » November 21, 2005, 2:40 pm

i guessing you are talking about the one on road to khon kaen across from military base with pink pig sign above building. if so, then you need to shop there early for best pieces as he only does 2-4 pigs a day. the packaged goods are his pork, processed for him, the one sausage he sells is quite tasty and i think 90 baht. if talking about same place, the farang owner's name is Noby, wife's julie and he did the bbg pig for my daughters birthday party that went over very well. his stuff is fresh and has a high turnover, and agree, staff hasn't got a clue what they are doing. an early visit, before 9 am might be better. his pigs are raised properly, the pork meat isn't red and antibiotics stopped 2 weeks prior to butcher and sale of meat.

valentine

Post by valentine » November 21, 2005, 3:53 pm

Thanks LA. Early as in , on the way home from the previous night?

BangkokButcher
udonmap.com

Post by BangkokButcher » November 22, 2005, 2:41 am

laphanphon wrote:his pigs are raised properly, the pork meat isn't red and antibiotics stopped 2 weeks prior to butcher and sale of meat.
Now that is very nice to know.... ;)

valentine

Post by valentine » November 22, 2005, 11:11 am

Has anyone seen the Beaujolais Noveau anywhere in Udon yet?Restaurant or retail.

tenbyboy
udonmap.com

Post by tenbyboy » November 22, 2005, 6:37 pm

Last edited by tenbyboy on January 30, 2006, 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dakoda
udonmap.com

Post by Dakoda » November 23, 2005, 6:40 am

Yes, LA the same place!

Tenby across from second gate (from udon) look up

On a one to four star rating, four being very good
I would give it the following.

ambiance ***

service * (five of us, with only one person working, arrived at 7 PM. food arrived one dish at a time, 15 mins between. Seemed that cook was also waitress. She said, it was better to come during the daytime when more help is there.)

food *** (everyone seemed to like, my second dish was excellent, but arrived after I finished first dish, wanted together!)

wine ** (low price, 500 to 650 baht, but really just table wine, which is fine by me.)

company ****

So, if during the daytime hours, it should get a rating of *** overall, and if no one else is there at night and maybe just two people, ordering one dish each, the same! We closed the place at around ten, but think normal closing time might be nine!

Whoops, can't count. There were five of us, and if I remember correctly we all ordered 7 different dishes!

Lee wrote
it took 43 seconds to load a forum topic page on phpbb.com and 31 seconds via udonmap.com
your kidding, right? My pages load almost instantly, except for this site. Also what I see is something from Google trying to load, but it still loads in maybe 20 seconds on a good day.

Since the change to the forum, only stop buy when my preferences are changed to use mine. Gives me a good excuse to do other things that need to be done! Sensitive eyes, so don't need to be mesmerized! Time would have been better spent, getting the web pages to load faster, (google ads?). When I did try to post, the other day, just kept getting the 500 server error. Of course it could be my connection, but other sites load fast!
Last edited by Dakoda on November 23, 2005, 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

valentine

Post by valentine » November 23, 2005, 6:50 am

I kept getting fatal error when using my favourites. Eventually got on line by doing google search and clicking link.

lee
udonmap.com

Post by lee » November 23, 2005, 11:47 am

On a one to four star rating, four being very good
I would give it the following.
Thanks for the review, it was an interesting read :D
Since the change to the forum, only stop buy when my preferences are changed to use mine.
??
Sensitive eyes, so don't need to be mesmerized! Time would have been better spent, getting the web pages to load faster, (google ads?). When I did try to post, the other day, just kept getting the 500 server error. Of course it could be my connection, but other sites load fast!
I have just ran a test on the udonmap.com forum and the original phpbb.com forum, it took 43 seconds to load a forum topic page on phpbb.com and 31 seconds via udonmap.com, this in my opinion is slow but to be expected via a gprs modem, I experience the same speed on all other websites.

I cannot see anything that could be slowing this forum down and it certainly isn't the Google ads because they are small JavaScript codes linking to Google itself, not udonmap.com. Google ad's togther with our sponsors help keep this forum, website and map free to use for everyone to use, without them we could not keep everything going.

The header graphics may slow the forum down on your very first visit but once cached in your temporary internet files then the page should load fast.

udonmap.com's mySQL database was down yesterday in the early morning so this is why you may have experienced errors.

Regards, Lee

Return to “Udon Thani Restaurants”