California Cafe

Discussions on local & International restaurants and food suppliers.
beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » August 6, 2007, 7:59 pm

tawan3 wrote:What is creamy sauce made from?
Recipe for chipped beef with creamy sauce on toast..... SOS

Ingredients:
1 jar dried beef, cut into strips
1/2 pound mushrooms (white or brown
1 small onion, diced
3 cups milk (whole or low fat)
1/2 cup Wondra flour (or regular flour)
1/4 cup butter (or margarine) PLUS"PLUS" means this ingredient in addition to the one on the next line, often with divided uses
1 tablespoon butter (or margarine)
1/4 teaspoon black pepper (to taste)
1/4 teaspoon MSG

Directions:

Slice mushrooms with egg slicer and set aside. Slice dried beef and cover with COLD water in a small bowl. Stir slightly then drain off all the water (this will remove a lot of the salt from the dried beef). Heat 1 Tbsp butter in 2 quart saucepan, add mushrooms and saut้ until slightly caramelized. Remove mushrooms and set aside. Add remaining butter and chopped onions, saut้ until slightly caramelized. Remove from heat and cool slightly, then add flour and mix well. Add a small amount of milk and mix thoroughly, then add remainder of milk, MSG and black pepper. Mix well (if it is lumpy use a wire whisk) and return to heat. Heat until thickened, stirring a lot. Add the dried beef and heat to the simmer. Simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms and simmer for additional 5 minutes. Check for the desired consistency, I like mine thick enough not to run off the toast. Add more milk if too thick; remember to add more flour the next time you make it, if too thin.

Serve over hot buttered toast, or buttered sliced hot biscuits. Add over easy eggs and or hash-browned potatoes to the plate if desired. This is even better left over and reheated the next day.

(PS: not my recipie)

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » August 6, 2007, 8:25 pm

i have just realized what the s.o.s thing reminded me of, and it the heinz toast toppers, bits of meat and mushrooms in a ceamy sauce to put on toast and put under the grill.

tawan3
udonmap.com

Post by tawan3 » August 6, 2007, 8:54 pm

Thank you BM. The Heinz product looks good. I wonder if available at Foodland in Bangkok.

fatbas***d
udonmap.com

Post by fatbas***d » August 7, 2007, 8:17 pm

papaguido wrote:Had breakfast at CC this morning. It was the best breakfast I've had since leaving the US 6 months ago. I had the number 1 (2 egg plate with ham & bacon) and the SOS (chipped beef). The SOS was very tasty, much better than I've had in any military mess hall. I also met the owners, Sal & his wife (sorry didn't get her name). Nice friendly couple and very good host.

Your kidding right ? Thats the best breakfast you have had in 6 months?
You need to get out the house a bit more ;)
I cook a western breakfast every Sunday for my girls and If I came up With that they would heave it straight back at me.

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » August 7, 2007, 8:45 pm

Well next time you make SOS let me know and I'll come over for breakfast :D

fatbas***d
udonmap.com

Post by fatbas***d » August 7, 2007, 9:09 pm

papaguido wrote:Well next time you make SOS let me know and I'll come over for breakfast :D
The next time I cook SOS will be the the first, :lol: as the name implies its hardly what you call "good food", even by North American standards.

jingjai
udonmap.com

Post by jingjai » August 8, 2007, 1:39 pm

fatbas***d wrote:
papaguido wrote:Well next time you make SOS let me know and I'll come over for breakfast :D
The next time I cook SOS will be the the first, :lol: as the name implies its hardly what you call "good food", even by North American standards.
Yes, we probably all can agree, SOS is not gourmet fare.
It's what I would term "comfort food". For me it brings back memories of my childhood and my father telling me about eating SOS when he was in the military.
I'm sure most people have fond "food memories" from their home countries.
I've never considered mushy peas or bangers & mash "gourmet food", yet it's on almost every English Food restaurants menu. They fulfill a certain need for a taste of home for many people.
And, before I start anything here, occasionally, I order bangers & mash and mushy peas, and enjoy them.
So, if SOS isn't your thing, don't order it.
And, it's not nice behavior to tell other people what they should like or not like. [-X
Play nice children. :lol:
California Cafe is a good "home style" cooking family restaurant. =D>

Aardvark
udonmap.com

Post by Aardvark » August 8, 2007, 3:47 pm

The Heinz does look good, I like the Braised Steak and Onion personally :D

jingjai
udonmap.com

Post by jingjai » August 18, 2007, 2:30 pm

In addition to their hard shell tacos. California Cafe has added soft shell tacos.
Two for 50 baht, 3 for 75 baht. I had 3 for lunch today. Filling and delicious.
Their homemade salsa fresca is also very good.
Burritos are coming soon. =D>

Bump
udonmap.com

Post by Bump » August 24, 2007, 2:51 pm

Well it a worth the try just to have hash brown for the first time in Thailand. Place is really clean and the lady running the place is really one nice lady. They do have a outside table don't know if you can smoke at that table or not, really not a big issue to me I don't smoke while I'm eating anyway.

For us going out is really a break in routine and this is one that I will go back to again. So I'm now up to five I would go back to so things are gettign better in that area of life.

ting_tong
udonmap.com

Post by ting_tong » September 4, 2007, 9:27 am

jingjai wrote:In addition to their hard shell tacos. California Cafe has added soft shell tacos.
I had the 2 tacos for 50 baht, and they were huge!

I also had one of the fried rice w/ beef entrees there too, not too many places make a good beef fried rice dish

Shado
udonmap.com

Post by Shado » September 4, 2007, 7:57 pm

Have eaten there only once. Had two soft tacos and two hard tacos. They were good as or better than any I have eaten in Thailand. Will go back when I need my next "taco fix". And, as already stated in another post, the salsa fresca was quite good.

The wife had the spaghetti, ate all of it and said that it also, was "a-roi mak"! I can't comment on any other menu item, but I was quite happy with the quality of the tacos. Perhaps serving some kind of bread with the spaghetti would make that one even better.

lee
udonmap.com

Post by lee » September 5, 2007, 10:44 am

They make great cakes too! The owners gave me a wedge of blueberry cake to try after polishing off an excellent lunch, it was very good to say the least. =D>

fatbas***d
udonmap.com

Post by fatbas***d » September 6, 2007, 3:06 pm

jingjai wrote:In addition to their hard shell tacos. California Cafe has added soft shell tacos.
Prices are up a bit, now 70 Baht for 2, but all the same good value and tasty food.
I agree with the positive comments about the owners, pleasant people.

oldfield

Post by oldfield » September 15, 2007, 9:46 pm

Went there today and it was closed up. Not sure why - can't have closed already...surely?

ISSAN_NISSAN
udonmap.com
Location: Near the big tree past the light on the left opposite the 7-11

Post by ISSAN_NISSAN » September 16, 2007, 1:37 am

They are closed on Saturdays.

I also agree with the prior posts---food is good value and the tacos + salsa will make you want to do the Mexican hat dance and order a couple more.

Fresh coffee available in the mornings.

Good luck to them.
I. N.

fatbas***d
udonmap.com

Post by fatbas***d » September 16, 2007, 6:53 am

I went there the other day and made the mistake of taking the MC instead of the car, it heaved it down, waited for the rain to stop before mounting my trusty steed. Before I got to my bike a staff memeber raced out with a cloth and dried down the seat.
Considerate people. :D

polehawk
udonmap.com

Post by polehawk » September 16, 2007, 2:54 pm

papaguido wrote:Had breakfast at CC this morning. It was the best breakfast I've had since leaving the US 6 months ago. I had the number 1 (2 egg plate with ham & bacon) and the SOS (chipped beef). The SOS was very tasty, much better than I've had in any military mess hall. I also met the owners, Sal & his wife (sorry didn't get her name). Nice friendly couple and very good host.

Finally stopped in and had SOS (cook used chipped pork?) for lunch a couple of days ago and agree that it tasted better than it did during my Marine Corps days. Looks like slop but delicious and filling. =P~

Another customer ordered tacos and seemed to be enjoying it. Also saw the waitress rush by with a small pizza. Not on the menu yet but looked and smelled good (the pizza). ;)

bamakmak
udonmap.com

Post by bamakmak » September 16, 2007, 4:01 pm

polehawk wrote:

Finally stopped in and had SOS (cook used chipped pork?) for lunch a couple of days ago and agree that it tasted better than it did during my Marine Corps days. Looks like slop but delicious and filling. =P~

Another customer ordered tacos and seemed to be enjoying it. Also saw the waitress rush by with a small pizza. Not on the menu yet but looked and smelled good (the pizza). ;)
Also saw the waitress rush by with a small pizza. Not on the menu yet but looked and smelled good (the pizza).
Polehawk - Your last sentence was one of the funnier things I've read on this forum in some time!!

rjb
udonmap.com

Post by rjb » September 25, 2007, 10:22 am

Had to make a visit to JUSMAG in BKK last month and had SOS at the coffee shop there. It was more like the SOS we had in the Army. Sal's has a more distinct flavor to it.

Return to “Udon Thani Restaurants”