A place that serves Italian and Thai?

Discussions on local & International restaurants and food suppliers.
rickfarang
udonmap.com

A place that serves Italian and Thai?

Post by rickfarang » February 5, 2006, 6:53 pm

My wife and I haven't spent enough time in Udon to know where we can find a restaurant we can both eat at and both enjoy the meal.

I am a vegetarian who can't eat rice, and my wife is from a village about 100 Km East of Nong Khai. Last time we were up there, we found a Thai vegetarian restaurant -all cold dishes, and not very tasty.

There is a restaurant in Bangkok that we visit when we are in the area, that serves both Italian and good Thai food. Is there any place that any of you would like to recommend for us to try?

Thank you in advance.

Rick

Bump
udonmap.com

Post by Bump » February 6, 2006, 4:46 am

Hmm!!! I don't know about vegetarin but the italian resturant in the Robinsons Mall serves both Thai and Italian foods.

There is a much better italian resturant in town, can't think of the name right now and I don't remember Thai foods on the menu. Here is a thought for you, I haven't seen a farrrang resturant that gets upset if your wife buys Thia food for herself and you at from thier menu. Thia food is easy to get from the vendors on the street, farrang foods are not.

Yep a kitchen is going to be important to you with your diet requirements are you will be getting real bored with foods quickly

Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Paul » February 6, 2006, 6:26 am

ray23 wrote:There is a much better italian resturant in town, can't think of the name right now
Picolo Roma (Near the museum and Jan Condotel) ??????

rickfarang
udonmap.com

Post by rickfarang » February 6, 2006, 12:53 pm

We are going to the airport in about an hour, to fly up to Udon Thani, so we can check these out tonight.

Italian Restaurant in Robinson's mall: I take it that you are not talking about The Pizza Company outlet. I like it there, but my wife would often rather eat elsewhere. We will scout the mall for anothe Italian restaurant.

We will also, the Picolo Roma near the museum and Jan Condotel.

Thanks to you both.

lee
udonmap.com

Post by lee » February 6, 2006, 4:02 pm

Italian vegetarian food is not that common in Udon. There are only two Italian restaurants that I know of and I cannot guarantee that they both have vegetarian dishes.

One large Italian restaurant can be found next to the Charoensri Grand Royal Hotel. I haven't ever been there but I've heard that it may be a little expensive and someone reported that the meals are small. I have, however, heard good comments about the x Roma restaurant, but is a little further away from the central shopping area.

If you're not worried about the food being Italian, there is a good Thai vegetarian restaurant at Map ref L11, it's very cheap and they have many dishes to choose from.

jingjai
udonmap.com

Post by jingjai » February 6, 2006, 4:49 pm

I've dined at x Roma a few times. It is run by a proper Italian Chef. Makes his own pasta, etc. I'm sure he could prepare a meatless dish, if asked (he usually comes out from the kitchen and greets his customers). He seems very creative. I know he had some vegetarian soups on the menu and of course many different kinds of salads. His pizza was good and he could do that meatless. Possibly his wife could cook some Thai food. I highly recommend the place. Try the homemade tiramisu!

rickfarang
udonmap.com

Post by rickfarang » February 8, 2006, 11:26 pm

We're just back from a couple of days in Udon, checking up on the construction of the house. So far, only the "normal" amount of pain. Were pleased to meet Ray, who striaghtend me out on where the restaurant in the mall that Robinson's is in.

We found the place and had dinner there last night. My wife said "I've had enough Italian today (we had lunch at Pizza Company) and she ordered some Thai curry. I can't remember the name, but the food was first rate, the atmosphere was nice (good air conditioning!), the prices very reasonable, and we will remember where it is.

Next visit, in a few weeks (or sooner if necessary), we'll find x Roma and give it a try.

Thank you for your advice.

yorkman
udonmap.com

Post by yorkman » February 9, 2006, 1:52 am

rickfarang wrote: and she ordered some Thai curry. I can't remember the name, but the food was first rate
Do they do that? Thank God!! The only time I went there was after trying to convince SWMBO that culinary delights did go a bit further than "Issan food".

She said I could order, a welcome change in itself, so I ordered a Palma Ham and Melon starter. After an askance look, I said "meat, pig, pork....you know"

Suffice to say, I ended up eating everything, and we were away to a vendor afterwards to get her "fix"

You can't remember what the Thai curry was?? Damn (sorry Brian :oops: ). I'll try it again, but I fear I might end up eating that too... :roll:

John

rickfarang
udonmap.com

Post by rickfarang » February 9, 2006, 11:39 am

The Thai Curry was on the menu. It has large pieces of fish in it.

Speaking of "...getting her fix.", both nights we were this, we went to the train station so my wife could get a plate of somtam and a bag of six legged critters. She misses that homestyle cooking while we are in Bangkok.

Return to “Udon Thani Restaurants”