Berries

Discussions on local & International restaurants and food suppliers.
banpaeng
udonmap.com

Berries

Post by banpaeng » February 21, 2006, 9:33 am

A question:

I have traveled around Thailand and do not remember Blackberries or Raspberries being for sale. Didn't really look. Do any of you folks know if these are available?

Thanks.

valentine

Re: Berries

Post by valentine » February 21, 2006, 9:54 am

banpaeng wrote:A question:

I have traveled around Thailand and do not remember Blackberries or Raspberries being for sale. Didn't really look. Do any of you folks know if these are available?

Thanks.
Seen raspberries in Chiang Mai, nowhere else. Big C have blackberrie jam :)

yorkman
udonmap.com

Post by yorkman » February 21, 2006, 10:18 am

I've seen Raspberries, bagged up and frozen in Makro (from Chiang Mai region as Val says), not Blackberries though

banpaeng
udonmap.com

Post by banpaeng » February 21, 2006, 10:53 am

To say the least I am a bit surprised. I figured if anything blackberries would be grown and not raspberries. Figured if raspberries were grown it would be in the mountians. Blackberries can be grown in hot weather, and with the increase of blackberry wines growing it would be a hit.

Guess I will he to grow my own.

Still very interesting.

valentine

Post by valentine » February 21, 2006, 2:16 pm

banpaeng wrote:To say the least I am a bit surprised. I figured if anything blackberries would be grown and not raspberries. Figured if raspberries were grown it would be in the mountians. Blackberries can be grown in hot weather, and with the increase of blackberry wines growing it would be a hit.

Guess I will he to grow my own.

Still very interesting.
Are we confusing blackberries with blackcurrants? My memories of picking wild blackberries in the Uk are of wandering down country lanes at the onset of Autumn with the hedgerow starting to turn a golden brown and the leaves falling from the trees. So I guess that must have been around late September time. We daren't go home until we had each filled a pail full, about 20lbs each which my mother put into a huge cauldron over the fire, with lots of sugar and made a beautiful jam which was then put into jars and covered with a fine net top to keep until next year. If we didn't eat it before.That evening we had a special treat of blackberry/apple pie in a short crust pastry,Those really were the days :o

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » February 21, 2006, 4:00 pm

That pie sounds nice.
when my wife came to uk a while back we where driving around and she spotted blackberries growing, and wanted to stop and try some, so now when ever their in season i have to pull up and collect a few hand fulls , but never seen them in Thailand, will they grow i wonder ?
Can You Dig It Dug.?

banpaeng
udonmap.com

Post by banpaeng » February 21, 2006, 8:17 pm

BM, They should brow in Thailand. They do well in South Texas and it gets just as hot here.

A bit more info:

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/exte ... rries.html

Don't know why but do a cut and paste on above link.

banpaeng
udonmap.com

Post by banpaeng » February 21, 2006, 8:52 pm

Sorry did not answer your question Val, but mean blackberries. Yes they make an excellent cobbler and jellies.

Blackberry wine is starting to grow as a market also. Don't drink it or know how to make it.

The reason I was asking about is they are an excellent snack food, plus the thought of pies and fresh jellies.

I also agree when the odor of jellies being cooked it can be pure pleasure to be in the house.

yorkman
udonmap.com

Post by yorkman » February 21, 2006, 9:03 pm

I had a look at your link Brian, maybe its the bit that says "rainfall or irrigation is required twice weekly" that explains it? They do irrigate at a vineyard up in the hills, but the price multiplication when sold as wine is very high. Unless Blackberry wine takes over :D

Or perhaps someone will reply yet that they have seen them and where.

TC
udonmap.com

Post by TC » February 21, 2006, 9:12 pm

A neighbour of mine has recently planted "summer fruits" from England.
Interesting to see how they take

regards
TC

Alagrl
udonmap.com

Berries

Post by Alagrl » February 22, 2006, 11:41 pm

We had both blackberries and dewberries on our property when I was growing up on the Gulf Coast -- obviously, irrigation wasn't a problem there. The difference between the two berries is that blackberries grow on bushes/hedges, while dewberries are larger and grow on groundcover-like vines. "Stickers" are deadly on both -- ouch!

The maturation and ripening timeframe is going to depend on the temperature and latitude, I think. At 30-degrees N, we had dewberries in late April/early May. Just like strawberries, the season started in April in Florida and moved north with the temperature changes.

Return to “Udon Thani Restaurants”