Venomous Snakes of Udon Thani

Monthly meetings, organizations, important dates to remember etc.
AroyFarang
udonmap.com

Post by AroyFarang » September 2, 2011, 6:29 am

old-timer wrote:Looking at the picture shado posted, I would guess its a grass snake. But that's not unquestionable. We'll have to wait for Dr. Michael's expert opinion.
There is a dense woodland and farmers fields in the surrounding area it was found. No sandy heathland or sand dunes. There is a protected area for newts nearby, although that's probably irrelevant.

OT............... \:D/
It may not be a coinincidence that the snake you found was near a newt preserve. There main diet is Amphibians and as newts would be in great numbers there its seems to make sense that he was there too and Im sure there are alot more of his friends also.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » September 22, 2011, 8:20 pm

A friend was visiting the past week. I took him to look at a catfish pond in the corner of our yard just after dark. Not far from the pond, we noticed two yellow banded krait mating. The male was on one side of an old netting that was used to keep chickens out....the female was on the other. A few minutes after I took these photos, the male moved to the other side of the net and the female disappeared into the jungle.

I've since googled characteristics of yellow banded kraits and now wish I hadn't.
Attachments
IMG_2461.JPG
IMG_2457.JPG
tails intertwined at the net, male's head in r-hand corner of photo
IMG_2456.JPG

LilRed
udonmap.com

Post by LilRed » September 23, 2011, 6:16 am

Great shots of a deadly snake. I shared them with daughter, explaining, again, the importance of being aware.

charlie
udonmap.com

Post by charlie » May 16, 2012, 5:51 am

I know this is a Golden tree Snake and not venomous, but I have never seen this before. The Gekko was too big and must have got stuck in the snakes mouth as it was found later with the gekko in the same position.
DSC_9747.jpg
[attachment=1]DSC_9747.jpg
Attachments
DSC_9745.jpg

SanukJoe
udonmap.com

Post by SanukJoe » May 20, 2014, 11:15 am

parrot wrote:A friend was visiting the past week. I took him to look at a catfish pond in the corner of our yard just after dark. Not far from the pond, we noticed two yellow banded krait mating. The male was on one side of an old netting that was used to keep chickens out....the female was on the other. A few minutes after I took these photos, the male moved to the other side of the net and the female disappeared into the jungle.

I've since googled characteristics of yellow banded kraits and now wish I hadn't.
Banded Krait, triangular body, thick snake, as deadly as can be.

The other krait here is the Blue Krait, bluish and white, same body shape, same deadly.

They are nocturnal, so you don't see them in daylight, they like places near water.

Be careful going out in the dark, it's the time they wake up and are active, breeding season is right on now.

TicToc
udonmap.com

Post by TicToc » May 20, 2014, 4:55 pm

This is similar but pretty harmless i believe,got this one this morning.
A Laotian Wolf snake i think correct me if wrong Sanuk Joe

P1010082.JPG

SanukJoe
udonmap.com

Post by SanukJoe » May 20, 2014, 6:00 pm

TicToc wrote:This is similar but pretty harmless i believe,got this one this morning.
A Laotian Wolf snake i think correct me if wrong Sanuk Joe

P1010082.JPG
Laotian Wolfsnake indeed, note the black parts are getting smaller towards the end, whereas in kraits the pattern stays the same all over the length of the body.

MichaelZ
udonmap.com

Post by MichaelZ » May 26, 2014, 11:19 am

Morning Everyone,

few days ago my girlfriend found this little snake in the grass , i grab it with veeeeery long tongs and throw it on the other side of the wall.
Now, I just came back from shopping and found identical one (and same size) by the front gate, I tried to catch him but he hide in the gate remote box.
From what I have seen n this thread there were 2 similar posts so I am guessing it would be Banded Kukri?
I will appreciate confirmation (or not :P)
Apologies for bar quality shot.

Thanks!
Attachments
Untitled.jpg

LilRed
udonmap.com

Post by LilRed » May 26, 2014, 2:52 pm

Common Kukri; non-venomous.

Very common 'round here.
COMMON KUKRI.jpg

MichaelZ
udonmap.com

Post by MichaelZ » May 26, 2014, 2:54 pm

Pfffff... thanks:)

Udonhoward
udonmap.com

Post by Udonhoward » May 27, 2014, 11:39 am

This was in my front yard yesterday, almost a meter long. I think it's a Blue Bronzeback, also called a Bell's Bronzeback. Anyone have any other suggestions for ID? (They are not venemous).
DSCN5334_042s.jpg

goshawk
udonmap.com

Post by goshawk » May 27, 2014, 2:09 pm

Looks like a Golden tree snake to me,had a few in the garden over the past week,one trying to get into the bird box to get at the chicks.

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » May 27, 2014, 2:28 pm

Interesting reading about all these snakes in Thailand, have just moved to some land and clearing and the GF says that she has seen snakes and be careful walking outside at night.
Thanks very much darling I'll have to buy gum boots now :shock:
We had snakes in Khon Kaen at the shop but the brother in law was pretty quick with the machete.

Question is and the answer may already be available somewhere in the posts but is there a book available with Photos to help one identify Thailand snakes and there location and usual habitat.
Moved into an older house and immediately put the weather protectors on the bottom of the doors. She thought it was to keep the rain out. Sorry wrong guess darling.
Don't like snakes one bit, but don't want to go by the old aussie saying of a good snake is a dead snake. Live and let live to an extent.

JimboPSM
udonmap.com

Post by JimboPSM » May 27, 2014, 3:19 pm

I got this book quite a few years ago at Don Muang:
  • Thailand snakes.jpg
The same title (but with a different cover) is available with free delivery in Thailand from Asia Books for 405 Baht:
Ashamed to be English since 23rd June 2016 when England voted for racism & economic suicide.

Disgusted that the UK is “governed” by a squalid bunch of economically illiterate, self-serving, sleazy and corrupt neo-fascists.

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » May 27, 2014, 3:34 pm

Thanks Jimbo,

I think there is a Asia books store in Khon Kaen Central but not sure about UT mall. Have to look it up when I return to town later this week.

Udonhoward
udonmap.com

Post by Udonhoward » May 27, 2014, 4:31 pm

I think Goshawk nailed it: Golden Tree Snake, also called an Ornate Flying Snake. It reappeared again today, and I got some more pictures. This is a big one, it looks quite different than the small ones I've seen, but the head pattern is distinctive. Reportedly these can glide from tree to tree, I've never seen them do it.

LilRed
udonmap.com

Post by LilRed » May 28, 2014, 11:08 am

goshawk
udonmap.com

Post by goshawk » May 28, 2014, 12:28 pm

Udonhoward wrote:I think Goshawk nailed it: Golden Tree Snake, also called an Ornate Flying Snake. It reappeared again today, and I got some more pictures. This is a big one, it looks quite different than the small ones I've seen, but the head pattern is distinctive. Reportedly these can glide from tree to tree, I've never seen them do it.
udonhoward ive not seen them glide or jump but my wife has,she went to cut some banana leaves and one decided to jump over her shoulder and brush past her face :D i can still hear the screams now :D i had my mountainbike leaning against a post one crawled up the bike ,up the post then across the washing line and into the trees,great climbers.

Daewit

Post by Daewit » May 28, 2014, 4:35 pm

IMG_7759.jpg
Ngu Pao Pit; so say the in laws. It resembles a Leaf Nosed Snake in Calif.

Daewit

Post by Daewit » May 28, 2014, 4:42 pm

Our dogs barked and pointed to the location of this snake in the planter.
It is about a meter in length. It coiled and struck out at the dogs several times.
It appears to have a nose similar to the Leaf Nosed Snake in California.
Our in-laws said it is venomous as a cobra.
I moved the dogs away letting the snake make an exit.
Attachments
IMG_7763.jpg
Another view to show the scale markings

Return to “Notice Board”