Venomous Snakes of Udon Thani

Monthly meetings, organizations, important dates to remember etc.
deankham
udonmap.com

Re: Venomous Snakes of Udon Thani

Post by deankham » December 30, 2017, 2:16 pm

A snake has been getting the dogs worked up every few days over the past couple of weeks. I've seen it in attack mode trying to strike one of the dogs from within the bushes once and heard what I thought was a tail rattle but could have just been it rustling the leaves.

Anyway today finally spotted it coming through the gate and into the bushes. Had some in-laws at the house so they chased it across the road and into a drain.

Any ideas what it is as no doubt it will be back. Was around 1 pm when I saw it. Always thought snakes preferred coming out at dusk and night?

Thanks
Attachments
20171230_132517-1_Signature.jpg

macca46
udonmap.com

Post by macca46 » December 30, 2017, 2:39 pm

I killed one that looks similar yesterday about lunchtime my Shepherd rounded it up by the time I got there it was up in strike mode I think it may come out of the tree's and was on a concrete pad I got lucky one shot with the shovel and took it's head off.

TAXIfor7/11
udonmap.com

Post by TAXIfor7/11 » December 30, 2017, 2:53 pm

deankham wrote:
December 30, 2017, 2:16 pm
A snake has been getting the dogs worked up every few days over the past couple of weeks. I've seen it in attack mode trying to strike one of the dogs from within the bushes once and heard what I thought was a tail rattle but could have just been it rustling the leaves.

Anyway today finally spotted it coming through the gate and into the bushes. Had some in-laws at the house so they chased it across the road and into a drain.

Any ideas what it is as no doubt it will be back. Was around 1 pm when I saw it. Always thought snakes preferred coming out at dusk and night?

Thanks
Looks like a Checkered keelback https://bangkokherps.wordpress.com/snak ... -keelback/

eagle
udonmap.com

Post by eagle » December 30, 2017, 3:03 pm

deankham wrote:
December 30, 2017, 2:16 pm

Thanks
Keelback, one of those, and almost harmless. Classified as no danger, but always small kids and elderly should be aware. Getting an infection or blood poisoning from non-venomous snake can be as fatal as almost dry bite from venomous snake.

As you can see, snake plays to be a cobra and it is the way to defend. Some Thais think that it is real cobra. If you ask from them, some say that it is cobra. Most say that harmless fish-eating snake.

deankham
udonmap.com

Post by deankham » December 30, 2017, 4:06 pm

Thanks eagle. Appreciate the info.

chewbacca
udonmap.com

Post by chewbacca » March 29, 2018, 6:46 am

Jeez, the snakes around here getting a bit much....
Attachments
29543290_1698838623556881_209862131429961502_n.jpg

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » March 29, 2018, 1:57 pm

a bit off the topic of venomous snakes but still yard invading vermin.. On the evening of March 8th I heard our dogs barking a tremendous racket about 10PM. They had... something and all three were battling it ferociously.. When we went out to see what it was it turned out to be a huge rat.. It had already bitten two of the dogs on their muzzles which made them even more enraged.. They finally subdued it with me giving it the coup-de-grace with a shovel.. We cleaned out the dog's wounds with hydrogen peroxide.. Their shots are up to date and they've healed up just fine. In checking the internet its either a Bandicoot Rat or perhaps even a small Nutria. We weighed the body the next day; 4 kilos even.. It was sent out to our nephews village where all his neighbor's said they'd never seen anything like it in their lives.. Of course, that didn't stop them from butchering it and having a fry up with beer....
DSC01038.JPG
DSC01033.JPG
Dave

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » March 29, 2018, 2:58 pm

Of course, that didn't stop them from butchering it and having a fry up with beer....Well Surely you didn't expect them to just throw it in the bin Did Yer ??

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » March 29, 2018, 5:08 pm

old Issan saying, "if it doesn't talk back, eat it!"
Dave

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » May 15, 2018, 6:02 pm

Not actually venomous, but a constrictor, but about a 4 foot long reticulated python in, of all places, the Phen Tesco's car park! Wish I'd remembered the camera in the car. Appeared docile, but reacted quickly when someone poked it. Guess it might have dropped out of a small tree. What great colouring and markings, although you might not agree if one was wrapped around your neck. Reading indicates this can be the longest and one of the heaviest snakes, but this a relative baby. I guess someone in the gathering crowd 'phoned the 'snake man'.

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » May 22, 2018, 8:00 pm

A Thai friend of mine always says that if it walks, swims, crawls or flies, we eat it. Even a wandering monk is not safe.

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » May 23, 2018, 7:50 am

Arrived back home from our forest land the other day , like a couple of wandering gypsies, missus and I, astride the motorbike towing our newly acquired ' wheelbarry ' as she calls it, as she cant get her tongue around 'barrow ' anyways, a rickshaw type trailer thing for poor people with motorbikes. I rode thru the village as if on a float in a parade, feeling chuffed with myself that I could live the life of a poor rice farmer as well..

Anyways, Her Indoors, hops off and rattles up our tin foil thin roller door, and sets about to scream her head off, snake snake SNNNNNAKE..My missus is scared of her shadow, and everything inbetween. Wellllll she ran around like a headless chook while pushing moi to the fore. ' Clear da things away so can see ' so with 10ft pole I did as I was told, only for her to then rush off to find the village snake charmer. Who turned out to be a quiet little man with his own pole, which had hangmans noose on the tip, and he set about to quietly search out the coiled intruder, and as if tickling for trout he hooked the 4ft thing by the neck and yanked it hard, and proudly displayed the culprit..A black and white chevron thing with an orange head. All the while the missus was imploring him to beat it to death with a stick. However, he thru it in a sack and they all disappeared down the road and left me to rearrange the internal garage once more..

she came back 30 mintue's later to say they had been to the temple, and things were alright. It was not the type of snake which required an expensive de snaking ceremony of our house...it was called a Noo Sar...thats all I got and no time for photos, sorry

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » May 23, 2018, 10:04 am

Snake tours of Phen now available. :lol: Banded krait, yellow/black, this IS venomous and dangerous (when alive), found outside gate other morning. About 75 cms long, so fairly small, already dead, possibly washed down to the road by torrential rain and flooding. My wife had only mentioned this type of snake the day before. Apparently a monk in her home village woke to find one sitting on his chest! The amulet probably saved him, if you believe in those kinds of things.

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » May 23, 2018, 12:03 pm

I normally don't kill any snake. Last year I heard my wife screeching. She is not normally afraid of anything so I figured it was serious. She was going out the back screen door and heard a loud hissing. At the top of the screen door was a spitting cobra. She slammed the door shut and the snake was trapped. It spit at her and because it was pinched in the door, it hit her upper arm rather than her eyes. I quickly went and found a pair of glasses and a butcher knife. I didn't want it spitting in my eyes. I killed the snake and was wondering why it had climbed the screen door. It was about a meter long. I carried the dead snake out to the burning pile and went to get my camera. When I got back to the burning pile the snake was gone. The village handyman had taken it home to eat. Since I am a head taller than my wife, I decided that I was lucky it wasn't me. It could have easily bitten me in the head.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » November 22, 2018, 10:44 am

My morning coffee was disturbed by our dog alerting on this large snake.......never seen one like this in our yard in 20 years. It has a distinctive head.......flat vertically, versus horizontally like a cobra. I dispatched it to the jungle and it didn't seem aggressive.
Our neighbor said it's not venomous....but then, being a Buddhist day, he wouldn't have done anything to it even if it was the most venomous.
Any ideas? I'm guessing a Copperheaded racer snake (Coelognatus radiatus) งูทางมะพร้าว
Attachments
Capture.JPG

TAXIfor7/11
udonmap.com

Post by TAXIfor7/11 » November 22, 2018, 1:47 pm

I think your bang on the money

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » November 22, 2018, 3:20 pm

Copperhead Racer Snake....rat snake....eats lots of rodents. Has a very distinctive head. Good snake to have around the home.

NongKhaiLee
udonmap.com

Post by NongKhaiLee » May 28, 2019, 8:55 am

The Banded Krait is known as "ngu Gohn Pohng" here in NongKhai (banded or spotted snake). The name "Ngu Sam Liam" actually translates to "triangle snake" which refers to vipers because of the triangular shape of their head.

Thanks so much for the great information and pics!

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » May 28, 2019, 10:44 am

I give all snakes a lot of respect. After many years here, I have found that all they want to do is to get away from you. My advice is to give them plenty of room and allow them to escape. The ones to give a LOT of room to are spitting cobras. If cornered they will attempt to spit venom right into your face. My wife had a dangerous situation. A spitting cobra was able to climb to the top of our screen door. She didn't see it until it hissed at her. It was caught when she slammed the screen door shut. It spit at her but luckily only hit her in the upper arm. Being trapped in the closed door obviously ruined its aim. I actually felt bad killing it but I don't want them near the house. Between the dog and the chickens, the snakes don't have much of a chance to get near the house.

Galee
udonmap.com

Post by Galee » May 28, 2019, 2:28 pm

There's a very good program being shown on Truevision, Sunday evenings, repeated during the week, called 'The Snake Master'.
It's about a snake expert who travels around Thailand looking for various species of snakes. When they come across a different snake he gives a detailed explanation about it.

https://archive.org/details/TheSnakeMaster18Jun2017

Return to “Notice Board”