The UdonMap Forumites Monthly Meeting by Paul888

Monthly meetings, organizations, important dates to remember etc.
PopsIcafe
Udonmap Sponsor

Post by PopsIcafe » September 30, 2005, 6:24 pm

Hey Paul, you know how the Thai women are with knives, eh, mate... :-k .... [-o<

Yes, Mrs Pop's said I can go out that night and told me to take an umbrella with me so you can use.....cut down on the glare, eh mate????

Pop's :pirate:

Thai_1_On
udonmap.com

Post by Thai_1_On » October 1, 2005, 11:32 am

farang wrote:lets start at mojos,been in the irish clock last two nights playing pool with g/f ,,but the place is dull as dishwater ,only a few people in there,well, 4!! lol :lol:
The Irish Clock dull as dishwater :!: :!: :!: Oh no this will not due for my return to LOS and my first forumites monthly meeting :cry:
Punish the Liver

businessman
udonmap.com

Post by businessman » October 1, 2005, 2:00 pm

It's not where you are,it's who you're with. :)

BangkokButcher
udonmap.com

Post by BangkokButcher » October 1, 2005, 6:33 pm

Many a true word Marcus :)

JimboPSM
udonmap.com

Post by JimboPSM » October 1, 2005, 8:16 pm

Thought I would vicariously experience the start of the forumites evening via Irish Clock webcam, but my Windows settings will not allow it as there is no current signed certificate available on the ActiveX download.

Noticed when I look at the blank camera screen it does not say "Camera" but "Carmera" so this typo plus my paranoia about viruses etc has made me chicken out from lowering my security settings so I can see what's going on :cry:

farang
udonmap.com

Post by farang » October 3, 2005, 1:18 pm

JimboPSM wrote:Thought I would vicariously experience the start of the forumites evening via Irish Clock webcam, but my Windows settings will not allow it as there is no current signed certificate available on the ActiveX download.

Noticed when I look at the blank camera screen it does not say "Camera" but "Carmera" so this typo plus my paranoia about viruses etc has made me chicken out from lowering my security settings so I can see what's going on :cry:
no one goes to the irish clock jim ,its dead as a door nail,i only go there for a guiness and a few games of pool then move on....so u wont be missing much lol :lol:
www.udonmap.com

BangkokButcher
udonmap.com

Post by BangkokButcher » October 3, 2005, 11:17 pm

farang wrote: no one goes to the irish clock jim ,its dead as a door nail
Now that has really surprised me, this place seemed to have all the right bits to become a success, ah well...

JimboPSM
udonmap.com

Post by JimboPSM » October 3, 2005, 11:54 pm

Just a few thoughts on Irish Clock - but without the benefit of having been there yet.

I suspect there may be a number of reasons, starting with that perennial favourite - location.

It is on a street that parallels the Complex which has no other evening attractions to attract the punters (or didn't when I was last in Udon), so no-one really goes down it.

It may get better as it gets known, or more likely, if one or more other evening entertainment attractions open up nearby - folk like a choice and competition.

Not allowing folk to bring their own spirit bottle in and just buying the mixers (a common practice with the locals, mentioned I think by Paul or LA) may also have an impact.

Or it may be again, as mentioned on other threads, that the market is already saturated.

Guinness is great, but is it great enough to attract at two or three times the price of Leo or Chang? #-o

Thai_1_On
udonmap.com

Post by Thai_1_On » October 4, 2005, 8:55 am

JimboPSM wrote:Not allowing folk to bring their own spirit bottle in and just buying the mixers (a common practice with the locals, mentioned I think by Paul or LA) may also have an impact. #-o
Oh no I won't be able to bring my JW Black for my first meeting or at least at the first stop. So has there been a decision on the starting point for this months meeting? :-k
Punish the Liver

valentine

Post by valentine » October 4, 2005, 5:07 pm

Another factor that Jimbo may have missed is management. Many years ago before being demobbed, I went on a training course for publicans. The one thing they emphasised was the reasons why a man would want to go to a bar and pay at least three times as much for a drink that he could have at home. Certainly not the furniture or surroundings. No it generally boiled down to companionship, someone to talk too.Now they had a general rule to discover the needs of the customer. If he sat on a chair at a table away from the bar, he generally wanted his own space, although the staff could pretend to clean the table reguarly to check on this. On the other hand, if he sat at the bar, or even stood there, he sure as hell was looking for company and chat, maybe even buy the staff a drink.
My experience at The Clock was , I sat at the bar, I said hello to a farang lady who apparently was management and attempted to chat but was ignored. I then tried to joke with the attractive young ladies but they preferred to talk to each other, albeit about me. So I paid for my small beer, 65baht plus expected , tip10bht, and left. I had a second beer not far away for 25bht and I couldn't shut the woman vendor up. She would have been a very useful addition to the Clock staff.
I wonder why , having spent what must have been a small fortune fitting the place out, that such a small, low cost point could have been missed.

lee
udonmap.com

Post by lee » October 4, 2005, 5:37 pm

My experience at The Clock was , I sat at the bar, I said hello to a farang lady who apparently was management and attempted to chat but was ignored. I then tried to joke with the attractive young ladies but they preferred to talk to each other, albeit about me. So I paid for my small beer, 65baht plus expected , tip10bht, and left
I had the same experience; I sat at the bar and the bar staff chatted to each other while the owners sat around a table at the back talking amongst themselves. I felt a little uncomfortable and having no one to chat with I swiftly drank up my drink and left.

I think the Irish Clock is an exceptionally smart and good looking pub but in my opinion it

BangkokButcher
udonmap.com

Post by BangkokButcher » October 4, 2005, 6:07 pm

Some very wise word from jimbo, val and lee, thanks for the insight guys.

I guess absolutely nothing beats a bit of 'good old customer service' in the end.

Thai_1_On
udonmap.com

Post by Thai_1_On » October 5, 2005, 2:03 am

Looking like Falang was right....dull as dishwater :cry: But to be fair I will go and offer my review :roll:
Punish the Liver

JimboPSM
udonmap.com

Post by JimboPSM » October 5, 2005, 2:33 am

Hmm.. thinking about it, it would probably be a good place to start an evening because the next place would have to be an improvement :lol:

Dakoda
udonmap.com

Post by Dakoda » October 6, 2005, 7:16 am

Hmm, starting to sound like in a month or so, I will see my 120 baht Guinness at the Clock. :)

BangkokButcher
udonmap.com

Post by BangkokButcher » October 6, 2005, 10:41 pm

Now theres a thought :)

businessman
udonmap.com

Post by businessman » October 7, 2005, 11:42 am

You a Guinness drinker Sean?

BangkokButcher
udonmap.com

Post by BangkokButcher » October 7, 2005, 11:16 pm

I wouldnt call myself a serious Guiness drinker, but I dont mind the occassional tipple, I have to be in the mood for a Guiness though.

thethailife
udonmap.com

Post by thethailife » October 8, 2005, 8:05 pm

I prefer Kilkenney. First tried it at the Clock but its not available locally for me. :(
"A good imagination is more important than intelligence" Albert Einstein. Dave

Paul
udonmap.com

Gentle reminder

Post by Paul » October 11, 2005, 7:23 pm

October Forumites meet:

This Saturday (15th) starting at the Irish Clock about 8pm (ish) and if you are late and we have gone - probrably see us in Mojo's (the next stop)
Just look for the giant sized guy !

if anyone can manage to get the webcam working on the Irish Clock website - you might see us in there.

Return to “Notice Board”