ANZAC Day 2017, Udon Thani, Thailand.

Monthly meetings, organizations, important dates to remember etc.
Sport
udonmap.com

Re: ANZAC Day 2017, Udon Thani, Thailand.

Post by Sport » April 17, 2017, 7:20 pm

We have seen the posts and thanks for the comments, it is appreciated. Just a bump up for the 25th.

AussieBoy
udonmap.com

Post by AussieBoy » April 19, 2017, 11:31 am

Will we be able to buy a hot breakfast there after the service???
Master Builder

Sport
udonmap.com

Post by Sport » April 19, 2017, 11:46 pm

AB, sorry....no meals will be cooked that day from the menu as the staff will be preparing food from early morning till early afternoon. I might add, Birmingham John, a keen rugby follower has made a cash donation (4000B) for food and a few drinks for the morning, many thanks John.

Sport
udonmap.com

Post by Sport » April 20, 2017, 10:59 pm

Just when you have the food menu right for the day, something else pops up. Five kgs (11 lbs) of beef is being corned at the moment and cooked on Monday for Tuesday. About 10-12 kg of BBQ chicken and pork with salads will be available.

Then the other shocker comes (besides Birmingham Johns donation)......Jimmy from Udon Gourmet Meats on Nittaya Rd drops by for a few beers at the bar Thursday afternoon and throws a 7kg leg of ham on the table ( WTF) and says thats for Tuesday, again many thanks Jimmy and Udon Gourmet Meats.

Udon is a great place and with wonderful people around, what else would you wish for....oh yeah the beach with rolling surf and white pointers, that would set if off.

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » April 21, 2017, 11:33 am

Sport

Grevious and I will bring the balloons

AussieBoy
udonmap.com

Post by AussieBoy » April 21, 2017, 12:39 pm

So we will have some nibblies available then, after the service, the only day in Oz where they turn a blind eye for gambling, Two-up,Two-up is a traditional Australian gambling game, involving a designated "spinner" throwing two coins or pennies into the air.
Master Builder

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » April 21, 2017, 12:43 pm

I have legally played Two Up, In the Pit at Wrest Point years ago.

Winners are Grinners , Loosers are Punters

macca46
udonmap.com

Post by macca46 » April 21, 2017, 5:18 pm

Me two down there I was grinner but not for long should have left and tried to look for a map of tassie.

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » April 22, 2017, 11:19 am

Sport

Could you please confirm the time for the ANZAC Day service please.

Is there any ability to organise a tuk tuk after from the new location.

AussieBoy
udonmap.com

Re: ANZAC Day 25Th 2017, Udon Thani, Thailand.

Post by AussieBoy » April 22, 2017, 12:07 pm

Is this going to turn into a P--ss up, that you'll need a driver to get home, anyone playing the last post, always makes me cry
Master Builder

wazza
udonmap.com

Re: ANZAC Day 25Th 2017, Udon Thani, Thailand.

Post by wazza » April 22, 2017, 12:10 pm

AussieBoy wrote:Is this going to turn into a P--ss up, that you'll need a driver to get home
Yes

AussieBoy
udonmap.com

Re: ANZAC Day 25th April Memorial 2017, Udon Thani

Post by AussieBoy » April 22, 2017, 12:37 pm

Back in Oz they would arrange a bus to pick up the turps loving souls and drive them home, maybe a Tuk Tuk driver can be arranged to do the home deliveries of the legless, a nice little earner for the day
Master Builder

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » April 22, 2017, 1:10 pm

Remember the Fallen , takes on a whole new meaning after the offical ceremony has finished..

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » April 22, 2017, 1:47 pm

" The legless, the armless, the blind and insane " As Eric Bogle / The Pogues and Dubliners all sing

I think for me the first bounce of the AFL game at The G is the completion of the formal remembrance , not that the other 364 days arent important , if you get my drift.

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » April 22, 2017, 3:01 pm

Anzac day always does bring about thoughts about those who have served and fallen in times of war or peace keeping exercises for our freedoms and lifestyle which we now enjoy as Australians all over the world. It also brings about feelings of patriotism and belonging to a great nation.
Today I was thinking about the posts about taxi's being provided to get people home from a service etc and remember as I was growing up in Sydney the use of the many RSL taxi company vehicle and drivers whom gave their cabs and time to drive the ex servicemen in the march past services and home from venues, it led me to look and read about the RSL itself and in particular its badge and meaning. Something I had never done before. We just take flags and badges as thing that are always there.
Some one really did put some serious thinking in to the RSL badge as below. I was surprised to se that it represented British countries.

Lest We Forget.

RSL badge symbolism

At the top of the badge is the Crown signifying allegiance to Queen and country. Below the crown are the national flowers of Australia, Wales, England, Scotland and Ireland – the wattle, the leek, the rose, the thistle, and the shamrock. In the centre of the badge are a sailor, soldier, an airman and service woman who are marching with their arms linked, symbolising friendship and that all services, and all ranks, are united in comradeship. The red of the badge is symbolic of the blood tie of war. The white background stands for the purity of motive – and to render service without personal gain. The blue is a symbol of willingness to render service to a comrade anywhere under the blue sky.[1]

The badge may only be worn by members of the League; and, moreover, it is an offence under the laws of most Australian States/Territories for an individual to wear an RSL badge (a) that has not been issued specifically to them by the RSL, and (b) unless they are entitled to wear the badge, at that time, under the rules of the League (e.g., a non-financial member is not permitted to wear the badge until their fees are paid).[2]
Attachments
RSL badge.png
RSL badge.png (48.61 KiB) Viewed 5807 times

Sport
udonmap.com

Post by Sport » April 23, 2017, 9:24 am

Waz, from page 1.
"Commencing at 7.30am, Ice cold refreshments and free snack food will be available together with a free shot of Bundaberg and other rums. Around 8.30am a small ceremony will take place with 2 speech's and the lowering and raising of the Oz and Kiwi flags". Thats the trouble with one eyed supporters of AFL, only see part of whats going on, LOL.

No 2 up will be played, the military will be in attendance. A tuk tuk is available, only a phone call away, 80b from the bar to Central Plaza.

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » April 23, 2017, 11:50 am

Sport wrote: Thats the trouble with one eyed supporters of AFL, only see part of whats going on, LOL.

Im presuming THAT Game will be on after, drawing a mere crowd of say 70,000

A tuk tuk is available, only a phone call away, 80b from the bar to Central Plaza - cheers, will need one to the other side of town ( dark side - some Thai mafia call it syd knee )

AussieBoy
udonmap.com

Post by AussieBoy » April 23, 2017, 12:52 pm

Will there be a dress code for the day, like collared shirts
Master Builder

grievous
udonmap.com

Post by grievous » April 23, 2017, 5:11 pm

Robb I've got a bottle of Bundy OP for you as promised. I'm happy for you to give a shot away with each stubbie sold or change a few baht per shot to recoup costs of putting on ANZAC ceremony.

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » April 23, 2017, 6:14 pm

grievous wrote:Robb I've got a bottle of Bundy OP for you as promised. I'm happy for you to give a shot away with each stubbie sold or change a few baht per shot to recoup costs of putting on ANZAC ceremony.
I would allow Tony and Wokka and those others that have served to have a free shot.

Wearing of their medals should suffice to allow a free shout to all others who served....

Return to “Notice Board”