ANZAC Day 2017, Udon Thani, Thailand.

Monthly meetings, organizations, important dates to remember etc.
Sport
udonmap.com

ANZAC Day 2017, Udon Thani, Thailand.

Post by Sport » March 14, 2017, 7:11 am

Tuesday 25 April 2017 is ANZAC Day for Commonwealth countries and their Allies from WW1. ANZACs, (Australian New Zealand Army Corp) is a day that is remembered by those 2 countries who were part of a larger force that stormed the beach and cliffs of Gallipoli in Turkey on that day in 1915 and the first time Oz and Kiwis fought as one group.

Losses to the Commonwealth armies were high as too for the Turks who never gave up and were heroic soldiers. It was a defeat for the Commonwealth and on this day we remember the sacrifices of both armies and ceremonies take place around the world marking this event.

At "Jingjoes" Aussie Bar we will be doing our small part too remember the fallen. The bar is located in Soi Srisunthon, off Nittaya Rd, directly opposite the Post Office, Udon Gourmet Meats (Jimmys) and NB Hotel, just down from Marko heading towards the city and the same side as Makro, you may see the black kangaroo on yellow background on the main road.

Commencing at 7.30am, Ice cold refreshments and free snack food will be available together with a free shot of Bundaberg and other rums. Around 8.30am a small ceremony will take place with 2 speech's and the lowering and raising of the Oz and Kiwi flags.

Seating and shade will be provided, we do not wish people to boil under the sun as it did in 2016 in Nutty Park, Udon. "Jingjoes" has apartments for short and long stay with air-con in all rooms. Overnight stay is 300B and connected to the Aussie Bar.

Lest we forget.

Thanks Rob

wazza
udonmap.com

Re: ANZAC Day 2017, Udon Thani, Thailand.

Post by wazza » March 14, 2017, 8:09 am

Sport

As always the UM members appreciate your efforts on this special day.

I will shout a round at the bar after the service.

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » March 14, 2017, 8:20 am

was just checking my calendar re above, so thanx for the heads up Rob..

fatbob
udonmap.com

Post by fatbob » March 14, 2017, 8:47 am

Good on you for organising this special event Rob, I will be back down at Kanchaburi for the dawn service at Hell Fire Pass, very touching and should be done at least once by those keen, the thought of drinking a beer from Wazza nearly makes me change my mind though...

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » March 14, 2017, 8:50 am

FB

I think you posted last year that there is no longer a day service at Kanchanaburi, confirmed ??

fatbob
udonmap.com

Post by fatbob » March 14, 2017, 9:58 am

They were talking about cancelling the service at the cemeterie, 11 am but keeping the dawn service at hell fire pass, not sure what they have done but the dawn service is special.

Sport
udonmap.com

Post by Sport » March 15, 2017, 9:15 pm

Waz. forgot to mention that the people in the soi have been invited as well, it being a neighbourhood bar I would like to keep them on side, so you better bring plenty of cash with you or just don't front up lol. Last count there are 179 adults in the soi.

FB, I have been to Kanchanaburi 3 or 4 times but never for the dawn service, From all accounts it is a very moving ceremony, maybe one day I will see the Dawn service. This is the 10th year we have organised the ANZAC Day service in Udon, we missed a couple when I was in Australia. I do feel that veterans of all countries do like to assemble in Udon from this province and others and visitors to Udon and be part of a service who otherwise could not make the journey to Kanchanaburi.

See you here Maaka or Ringo.

grievous
udonmap.com

Post by grievous » March 15, 2017, 9:30 pm

Waz won't care about getting the first round for 179 blokes paying their respects for ANZAC day Sport, small change for him. I'll do my little but and chuck in a bottle of Aussie Rum for the big day mate.

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » March 15, 2017, 9:50 pm

Last time I went to Kanchanaburi for the Dawn Service I missed it. Sort of.

Was all situ with the VIPs walking into their designated spots and an Aussie Lady who was the wife of one of POW vetrans invited that year..collapsed and cracked her head open. Training kicked in. Used the Qld Amb Serv golf cart to transfer up to the Thai Ambulance at the visitors centre. Stuck a line in her. Dehydrated etc...

Went with her to the local hospital. Sorted her out and drove her to Kanchanaburi to meet up with husband at the Day Service.

Oz Ambassador shouted me a handful of Ice Cold beer to say thanks afterwards.

My reply... never got a free beer off the Government before , how many am I allowed.?

179 Oz Passporr Carrying citizens all wearing Swans T shirts. No prob Sport.

grievous
udonmap.com

Post by grievous » March 15, 2017, 9:55 pm

1000 baht on the bar then I reckon Wazz

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » March 15, 2017, 10:05 pm

10000 From the FIFO with an income.

mickojak
udonmap.com

Post by mickojak » March 16, 2017, 6:03 am

Rob,
How can I book a room for the night?
Mick

Sport
udonmap.com

Post by Sport » March 16, 2017, 8:18 am

Grevious, thanks as always for your contribution. Waz must be feeling generous. Didn't he go shark fishing a short time ago in Oz, I think one of them bit him and he shouted. And well done Waz with the lady from Oz on ANZAC Day, your old profession kicked in. Sydney Swans would not have 179 supporters shirts Waz, they do a run of 20 new shirts each year, its all in your mind.

Mick, your room is booked for the night of 25 April. For 1, 2 and 3 night stayers, water, tea, coffee, toast, jams and fresh fruits are included.

Thanks Rob.

mickojak
udonmap.com

Post by mickojak » March 16, 2017, 9:30 am

Thanks Rob,
I'm back next week so I will drop in and see ya.
Mick

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » March 16, 2017, 9:56 am

Sport

The lady was Victorian, so quite easy to look after.

My First Aid Skills originally started with D R ABC

Now its What State , Dangers , Response Airway Brwathing Circulation etc

On a serious note ( just recalled this ) , I remembered last year and The Thai Military that attended, one guy made a small dig at not having The Thai Flag flying, as per protocol, if other Flags used.

fatbob
udonmap.com

Post by fatbob » March 16, 2017, 11:27 am

wazza wrote:Sport

On a serious note ( just recalled this ) , I remembered last year and The Thai Military that attended, one guy made a small dig at not having The Thai Flag flying, as per protocol, if other Flags used.
During the construction of the Burmese railway more Thai's died than allied pow's, there is a large presence of Thai military at both Kanchanaburi services.

reddevil
udonmap.com

Post by reddevil » March 16, 2017, 12:22 pm

Going to Kan again Rob so won't make it but I'm back in Udon at the weekend so will pop in for a beer next week cheers Jim

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » March 19, 2017, 8:00 pm

Sport

Got this info from Australian Military Attache in Bangkok, hope it assists etc

' The ANF at an ANZAC Day service in a foreign country should be flown in the preeminent position, i.e from the left as the crowd looks at it. The NZ flag should be to the right of that, and then Thailand (or any other host nation).

If, however, one flagpole is taller than the others, this should be in the centre (preeminent position) with the NZ flag to the left and the host nation to the right (as the crowd looks at it).

The ANF (and NZ and host nation’s flag) should be flown at half mast prior to the service, then raised to the mast head on the playing of Reveille after the Last Post. Should be raised slowly so that it reaches the mast head as Reveille is finishing.

Please refer to the defence website below for further guidance. Hope this helps.

http://www.defence.gov.au/ceremonial/AN ... s.asp#Flag "

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » March 20, 2017, 7:21 am

that is if it is an Australian hosted service....home team gets the advantage, so to speak. hence the highest / center pole.. (if it was a kiwi hosted service it would have advantage position...) someone has to be home team..

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » March 20, 2017, 9:55 am

Wazza withdrawls free beers to allow Macca to get his Flag up.

Macca now gets first shout... 555555

Return to “Notice Board”