Anzac Day. 25th April

Monthly meetings, organizations, important dates to remember etc.
trubrit
udonmap.com

Anzac Day. 25th April

Post by trubrit » April 20, 2008, 2:13 pm

To all our Commonwealth comrades, especially those from Australia and New Zealand to whom this is an especially poignant day ,remembering , as it does, all those who gave their lives at the battle of Gallipoli and also in the 2nd world war.We will remember them. Forgive, but never forget.
Rest in Peace.

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » April 20, 2008, 2:23 pm

lets also not forget all the comrades that were brutalised here in thailand on the death railway.

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » April 20, 2008, 2:30 pm

saint wrote:lets also not forget all the comrades that were brutalised here in thailand on the death railway.
For anyone interested. The Australian Embassy have organised a dawn ceremony to be held on the site of the memorial at "Hellfire Pass" Kanchanaburi Province on that day.

wokkawombat
udonmap.com
Location: Udon/Noosa Australia. "One crowded hour of glorious life is worth an age without a name".

Post by wokkawombat » April 21, 2008, 12:17 pm

FOR THOSE WHO DIED

When you go home

Tell them of us and say;

For your tomorrow

We gave our today.

Lest we forget
Gurgle, Gurgle...

Ba Bob
udonmap.com

Post by Ba Bob » April 21, 2008, 1:48 pm

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old;
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.
lest we forget.

http://www.anzacday.org.au/
http://www.awm.gov.au/index.asp
http://www.anzacsite.gov.au/

Roadman
udonmap.com

Post by Roadman » April 21, 2008, 7:05 pm

If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

We will remember them.
"And if you listen very hard
The tune will come to you at last
When all are one and one is all
To be a rock and not to roll"
LZ (Page/Plant)

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » April 21, 2008, 8:36 pm

Now then, would there be enough people to attend a dawn service in Udon, as a formal 5 mins and then have an early Oz BBQ , i will supply the BBQ and BYO , suggest we have it outside the Aussie Pub at 0600 25/4/08.

PS will contact Justin and update if he is interested.

carpy

Post by carpy » April 21, 2008, 9:12 pm

You supply the barbie and I will supply the snags.if someone brings some bread rolls.I think we have it covered.

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » April 22, 2008, 8:27 am

wazza wrote:Now then, would there be enough people to attend a dawn service in Udon, as a formal 5 mins and then have an early Oz BBQ , i will supply the BBQ and BYO , suggest we have it outside the Aussie Pub at 0600 25/4/08.

PS will contact Justin and update if he is interested.
Sunrise on the 25th is 05.41 so you'll miss it.! :lol:

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » April 22, 2008, 8:51 am

Sunrise on the 25th is 05.41
yikes, you all do that thing early. i'll set my alarm, and have a coffee and bailey's on the balcony, thinking a about you all early bird, do a moment of silence and toast your way.

and i thought locals were bit nutty with them 8 am wedding and funerals. 8)

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » April 22, 2008, 1:20 pm

Just spoken to Justin and its an 1100 memorial service, the dawn service has issues with licencing etc.......

So what we need now is a list of people who will go etc, so we can cater for the sausage sizzle afterwards.

The snags are being provided by Carpy of Western Foods fame, BBQ is mine and bread rolls will be sourced next door at Dieters.

Numbers pls

Roadman
udonmap.com

Post by Roadman » April 22, 2008, 1:26 pm

Would be there on behalf of the Kiwi's if still here, but we fly out of Udon tomorrow morning NZ bound.
"And if you listen very hard
The tune will come to you at last
When all are one and one is all
To be a rock and not to roll"
LZ (Page/Plant)

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » April 22, 2008, 2:31 pm

wazza wrote:Just spoken to Justin and its an 1100 memorial service, the dawn service has issues with licencing etc.......

So what we need now is a list of people who will go etc, so we can cater for the sausage sizzle afterwards.

The snags are being provided by Carpy of Western Foods fame, BBQ is mine and bread rolls will be sourced next door at Dieters.

Numbers pls
Just an opinion as I won't be there but do you really think, what looks like being a bit of a picnic is appropriate for a memorial to the guys that died? As after all they nearly all died of malnutrition or associated maladies, and certainly didn't have the luxury of an ice cold beer.Somehow, to me, doesn't really seem in keeping with the occasion
There must be a thousand other excuses to have a party?.

marjamlew
udonmap.com

Post by marjamlew » April 22, 2008, 2:46 pm

I won't be there either but A traditional ANZAC day in Australia involves remembering and reflecting followed by drinking, going to the races or footy, playing two-up and punting on the gee gees and celebrating what it means to be Australian. We can't help being who we are.
Watch Me!!

wokkawombat
udonmap.com
Location: Udon/Noosa Australia. "One crowded hour of glorious life is worth an age without a name".

Post by wokkawombat » April 22, 2008, 3:19 pm

I will be attending the dawn service at 5:15 am at Noosa Tewantin RSL followed by refreshments, (Coffee and Rum, a gunfire breakfast), thence to the Tewantin Cemetery at 6:30 am for the service followed by breakfast in the RSL club and then attend the main service at 9:30 at the local war memorial.

I will then attend a function in the club from 10:15 to 2:00pm for a few drinks, a chat with mates and some finger food.

In no way do I see this as a picnic. What is important on ANZAC day is for the people of Australia and New Zealand to remember those who gave their all for their nations and their mates.

Unfortunately I had to return to Australia so I will miss Anzac day in Thailand. I had planned to attend the dawn service at Conju Cutting (Hellfire Pass) on the Burma Railway and then the main service at Kanchanaburi War Cemetery.

The Kanchanaburi War Cemetery is held in great reverence by Australians but after the service a few beers supplied by the Australian and New Zealand Embassies will be sunk. I feel it is appropriate.

John
Gurgle, Gurgle...

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » April 22, 2008, 3:59 pm

Trubrit.

In no way should this be seen as a picnic, as others have stated before me, its the traditional way in which us Aussies remember those who gave so much to defend their country, flag and families.

There has been so much written by historians on the ANZAC tradition " That Australian Nationalism was born on the beaches of Gallipoli "

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » April 22, 2008, 4:47 pm

Thanks guys, I value your enlightenment on the days meaning to you all.Its just as a Brit I cannot imagine my countrymen organising such a bash on our own Remembrance Day 11th Nov, and, to be honest, I normally get to attend the dawn service in Hellfire Pass every year and it has always been a solemn occasion organised by the Australian Embassy with four serving members of your countries military, standing at point with rifles reversed around the memorial and a service conducted by a chaplain.Obviously a contrast to what I imagined you were planning.No doubt after, on the way back to Bangkok they would have stopped off for a few bevies though.The important thing is, we all remember in our own ways what comradeship exists between our countries and the sacrifices made by our forefathers.

carpy

Post by carpy » April 22, 2008, 5:23 pm

My grandfather was a life member of Paramatta RSL.I ,until moving to Thailand have been going to the dawn service at Paramatta with my father since I was 3 years old.And my son who is now 9 was going with me since he was 2.We always ended up back at the RSL for free bangers and mash.Then a few cold ones then 2 up for the day.I did not see anyone calling that a picnic.My son who is over on holidays from Australia and I will be there out of respect for all that fought for our country.And not just a free BBQ.

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » April 22, 2008, 5:44 pm

For all those who will be attending , I have downloaded the formal protocol from the Aust War Memorial web site including "The Last Post " and "Reville ".

What i am missing is a wreath as all the flower shops next to Complex have closed already due to the proposed demolition, anyone know where they went ??

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » April 22, 2008, 5:47 pm

i can think of no better way, than to remember, then use those freedoms they gave so much for, so that their loved ones and fellow countrymen/women/kids for generations can continue to enjoy life, free, as they feel. if that includes a little festive atmosphere afterwards, doesn't show disrespect, think it shows appreciation.

i'm just a yank though, and we do a whole weekend, with the monday, or the official day, for rememberance, and of course, that is followed by major picnic/bbq and celebration of the freedoms fought for.

Return to “Notice Board”