I would like insight as to Australia

General off-topic debates and discussions forum.
bumper
udonmap.com

I would like insight as to Australia

Post by bumper » April 7, 2009, 8:56 am

Ok Jack lets here from you. Yuo can pick any aspect not just the one we were talking about. You see I know about it. The only thing I know about Australia is it has always been a dream to go there.

So the topic is wide open anything is fair game, as long as it has to do with that continent.

I only know the people I haev met here, pretty outspoken, but seem to well in reasonable limits to me. In other words they will let yuou know what is on their minds but more them likley not hit you upside the head with a bottle while doing so. ;)

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Re: I would like insight as to Australia

Post by jackspratt » April 7, 2009, 9:01 am

wokka, Aa, Dero, et al, can you help :-k :D

I'll get back to you git - promise.

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » April 7, 2009, 9:53 am

Thats cool time to go to school anyway chat later.

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » April 7, 2009, 10:17 am

One thing for sure and certain Australian Governments and politicians spend TOOO much time licking American arses and bowing down to their almighty whims and desires and not enough time developing closer ties to Europe, China and SE Asia which one day WILL put the USA back in its place and stop the US sneezes and the rest of the World gets pneumonia syndrome.

Signed
An 'outspoken' Aussie

Aardvark
udonmap.com

Post by Aardvark » April 7, 2009, 10:33 am

Give us an idea of what you want to know git..... Population,weather,politics, beaches,wildlife,women, sport, and yes there are many Americans who call Australia home many of whom came here on R+R. Perth is the main rest and rec port for the U.S. 7th fleet and the city has several thousand of them two or three times a year. Give us a Menu and we will work through it.....

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » April 7, 2009, 1:55 pm

Yep that is out spoken, Lest start with vias reuqiremtents for a tourist visa and see where that goes. Foriegn and Ah! to heck with it the receiver of the ass licking and a Thai wife.

Signed a cleaned assed American

Give me a break :D

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » April 7, 2009, 2:22 pm

Tourist visa for Americans, and many other "1st world" countries is simple - generally can be done online, and issued electronically. This visa is free.

For most SE Asians not so simple. Visa application document is probably 20+ pages, and the overriding criteria seems to be whether there is sufficient evidence that you are likely to return to your home country before the visa runs out, and you are of good character. If issued, may be a single or multiple entry, for 3 months stay, with the visa being valid for 12 months ie if you have a multiple, you could theoretically get 15 months total (in 3 month chunks).
For a single lady, she would generally need to have evidence of sufficient money in the bank to support her while in Oz (or a sponsor with sufficient money), and job to go back to in her home country. Medical generally not required, and cost, from memory, is about A$100.

Once the first visa to another country (or Oz) has been used and complied with, it is generally a lot easier to get a subsequent visa for Oz. For example, my then g/f (now wife) had visited me 3 times in China without incident, so sailed through her 1st Oz application quite easily.

steveway2
udonmap.com

Post by steveway2 » April 7, 2009, 2:30 pm

Git,

Go to this site:

http://www.immi.gov.au/

it will tell you all you need to know about visa's and also visiting and living in Oz - see the "living in Australia" bit.

You can use the e-visitor facility - top right hand corner "Online services"

I think Oz is a pretty good place - very big with varying climates - from tropical to bloody freezing

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » April 7, 2009, 2:36 pm

That's the bl00dy easy way out steve :D

I thought of posting the link as well, but then I figured I "owed" git some personal "insights". :roll:

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » April 7, 2009, 2:44 pm

Hey guys wher are some of the better rides I had thought about along the ocean, but I'm told there are better ones to consider. Unfortunately that visa requirement sounds a lot like the American one. Thought it might be great experience for the wife and I to visit for awhile. Thanks for the link.

Waht are the best times of year to visit?

steveway2
udonmap.com

Post by steveway2 » April 7, 2009, 2:46 pm

Sorry Jackspratt - your right.

I dont think Oz licks US arse any more than anybody else - its a global addiction and we are happy to play our part keepingn US arses clean and carbon free.

As for Oz not being close enough to China - I think not - Paul Keating (PM about 10 yeras ago) effectively engaged China and essentially said that Oz is part of Asia.

Our current PM (Kevin Rudd) speaks fluent Mandarin and goes to China to tell them lots of funny stories we do understand - but then again we dont understand what he is talking about here either.

The entire Western Australia economy is underpinned by iron ore exports - most of whichgo to China and the current debate here is about what % of an Oz Iron Ore company the Chinese can own - it seems they are the only people with spare dosh and are buyingn up everything.

And just to start a debate - it was mused on the TV that the future earth will be hotter (global warming), wetter (rising sea's) and it will all be run by the Chinese.

Suspect that our PM is an advance agent for chinese hordes to come.

steveway2
udonmap.com

Post by steveway2 » April 7, 2009, 2:54 pm

Best time of year - depends on where you go and what you want to do:

Sunseeker / water sports - probably "summer" about Dec - Mar

Skiing (southern states) - winter, about Jun - aug

Northern states - tropical in far north and hot most of time, but "hot"season around Xmas - is also cyclone season

Southern states -can be as cold as UK at some times - but the sun shines most of the time.

WA - big and varied, mostly nothing in the middle except desert. Far-South WA can have simialr clime to UK. Far north (Kimberley) - tropical in parts, usually hot, and has wet season and cyclone season - basically untouched by modern world outside of towns.

Perth - mostly sunny - is Autumn now (30 during day and 15 overnight) - will get colder till about August. Generally no rain in Perth between about Dec - March, can be stinking hot in Jan - Feb (up to 40).

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » April 7, 2009, 4:22 pm

Well if you were going tour on a Motorcycle what would you choose?

Marmite The Dog
udonmap.com

Post by Marmite The Dog » April 7, 2009, 7:27 pm

Our Billy did it on one of these.

LoongLee
udonmap.com

Post by LoongLee » April 8, 2009, 1:12 am

Well, I've got to tell all you Aussies,,,,, you asked for it,, I spent a week in Sydney in 1969 on R&R and i'm damm upset now because not a single person I met licked my arse.... what gives? Where do I file a complaint? I didn't even know it was on the menu. :-({|=

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » April 8, 2009, 1:32 am

Well, lived there for a year and a half. Best sites on the road were probably the Great Australian Bight/ Nullarbor plain (South Australia/western australia); Ayers rock and Mt. Olga, Kakadu National Park (Northern territories); Sydney (for a city) Cairns (Queensland, but more a base to see sites in area). I lived in the Kakadu National park area, so can give more details on that (although a long time ago). Australia is a big place - same size as USA. So did not see most of it.

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » April 8, 2009, 6:16 am

Bad way to start a thread out HUh well I tried. Never crossed my mind when I opened it would go that way. Mainly cause I tend to like Aussies, if I didn't I wouldn't be entertaining going theree. My fault I said it was wide open don't think I will do that again.

I do appreciate the real information I got.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » April 8, 2009, 7:56 am

LoongLee wrote:Well, I've got to tell all you Aussies,,,,, you asked for it,, I spent a week in Sydney in 1969 on R&R and i'm damm upset now because not a single person I met licked my arse.... what gives? Where do I file a complaint? I didn't even know it was on the menu. :-({|=
Just goes to show we do have SOME standards :lol:

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » April 8, 2009, 3:04 pm

Git

A popular ride for 5-7 days is do " do the loop " of Tasmania, the Island state, ( my old State ) Well prepared for this style of Biker, lots of small camping areas etc

I think its the Ulylesses ??? Club in Oz, that can put u in touch with rides, clubs etc.

trekkertony
udonmap.com

Post by trekkertony » April 8, 2009, 6:26 pm

Hello Git,

In contradiction to fellow aussie, Bundung_Dero's anti american stance, in my experience Americans are well regarded when they visit our shores and a large proportion of the population are thankful of the role which the USA (the only country ) played in coming to the defence of Australia when Darwin was attacked and bombed during WW2. We welcome all nationalities who come in peace.

As to the information sought in your OP may l suggest you google search the following sites to give you a starting point in assessing if you are planning to visit our lucky country.

www.tourism.vic.gov.au/
www.visitnsw.com
www.tq.com.au
www.tourismnt.com.au/
www.southaustralia.com/
www.westernaustralia.com/
www.discovertasmania.com/

If you were to read the Lonely Planet forum on Australia you will be introduced by way of forum comment to some obscure, yet wonderful places that my not be mentioned in the respective state web sites.

On a personal note l recommend that you take in a game of Rugby League for its physicality and brute strength. Australia's national game, AFL is a must see. To sit in the stadium with 80.000 -1000.00 people depending on who is playing will be a thrill of your lifetime.

Good luck with your plans. If you are travelling to Queensland PM and l may be able to show you around the unique Fraser Island area which has the world's largest sand island and is heritage listed.

Return to “General Debates & Discussions”