Honesty

General off-topic debates and discussions forum.
mrnicey1966
udonmap.com

Honesty

Post by mrnicey1966 » December 1, 2009, 2:52 am

if you lived next door or in the same area / village as a person of dis-honest ways or means , would you report this person to the authorities or would you warn others of this persons dishonest way or would you just turn the other cheek and mind your own business?

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Re: Honesty

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » December 1, 2009, 2:59 am

Up to you think...

BigGulp

Post by BigGulp » December 1, 2009, 3:29 am

Nobody likes a grass :)

LoongLee
udonmap.com

Post by LoongLee » December 1, 2009, 7:10 am

Since your location is shown as "u.k.",,,,,, can we assume you're refering to a British village? Maybe your priest or clergyman could help you with your moral dilema. :-"

rjj04
udonmap.com

Post by rjj04 » December 1, 2009, 7:47 am

The priests can't help him, they are too busy with the choir boys [-o< :evil:

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » December 1, 2009, 8:40 am

mrnicey1966 wrote:if you lived next door or in the same area / village as a person of dis-honest ways or means , would you report this person to the authorities or would you warn others of this persons dishonest way or would you just turn the other cheek and mind your own business?
I would tell my closest friends.if I ,in fact,knew that!But I would not say anything without absolute personal knowledge that they were a threat!

I would take whatever action I deemed best for my families safety.In,Thailand,that might mean moving!Which is one reason that I would not build my home in an area where i didn't know my neighbors were of ''good'' character!

Actions I would never take in Thailand,is personally reporting them to authorities or having any direct confrontation with them,unless they were falangs!! [-X

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » December 1, 2009, 6:55 pm

if you lived next door or in the same area / village as a person of dis-honest ways or means , would you report this person to the authorities or would you warn others of this persons dishonest way or would you just turn the other cheek and mind your own business?
In my previous life I often had people living next door who were dubious. I made it a point never to mention it, they probaly knew I knew, but said nothing neither did I.
I would draw the line at physical injuries or even a death or a very very serious offence, those were unacceptable, but in the main knowing the devil next door is better than not knowing, at leat you can ensure the lifestyle of those people do not intrude onto yours and minimise any possible fallout.

You never really know what your neighbour is like no matter how well you THINK you know him, be observant,be aware and above all be careful either here or in Blighty.
Thats the best advice I can offer.

panick
udonmap.com

Post by panick » December 1, 2009, 8:21 pm

LoongLee wrote:Since your location is shown as "u.k.",,,,,, can we assume you're referring to a British village? Maybe your priest or clergyman could help you with your moral dilemma. :-"
If memory serves me right ( and it probably doesn't ) Mr Nicey hails from the Wallisdown area of Bournemouth ( you tube and previous posts )

If he does then 90% of his neighbours have been reported/ being reported/ done time and/or at this minute are involved with something illegal :lol: :lol:

More than just a moral dilema if he lives close to Fraser Rd. :shock:

UdonExpat
udonmap.com

Post by UdonExpat » December 1, 2009, 8:29 pm

I would not assume that others are unable to discern honesty or dishonesty. If someone solicited my opinion I would probably share it.

trekkertony
udonmap.com

Post by trekkertony » December 2, 2009, 5:13 am

To not grass on someone is a shallow view, if a known sex predator/offender was in a position to sexually assault or at the very least groom young and vulnerable children, are you proposing that you don't grass on the person? The attitude of not grassing has allowed for nefarious actions to gain a stronghold hold in the community. When looking in the mirror l see someone who is willing to protect the weak and vulnerable.

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » December 2, 2009, 5:36 am

Their is a difference in ''grassing''on a Thai in Thailand,than someone in our home countries!If you know the facts and you feel a serious danger from the situation,in Thailand you move,in your own country you report them!

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » December 2, 2009, 11:46 am

Stay to your own take care of your own. Friends and family

johnty.
udonmap.com

Post by johnty. » December 2, 2009, 1:21 pm

I would personally keep the info to myself unless it threatened my family and myself,years ago you could go in confidence to authorities but wouldn't think it the same today.1 guy i worked with years ago found out that a registered sex offender had moved into his street(council housing)his informant was from his relevant council so fearing for his own children and those of others he did what he felt was his duty and informed all the street personally(going door to door)next thing he gets a visit from the police politely threatening him with all sorts if he ever did it again......to many rules in UK now.

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » December 2, 2009, 1:41 pm

Hey the reality is money speaks here. I have personally seen a guy nailed for it here. Yes the Police got involved he paid money. He is still here today with a long list of people he is upset with. He is still in the activity today. Take care of your own stay out of others business. It just Ain't Kansas Toto :pirate:

Texpat
udonmap.com

Post by Texpat » December 2, 2009, 2:18 pm

It's a shame the police and courts and all forms of government are corrupt to the core.
These kinds of situations are a direct result.

Amazing Thailand. :?

UdonExpat
udonmap.com

Post by UdonExpat » December 2, 2009, 3:35 pm

Honesty is usually a matter of degree. I'm not totally honest, but I won't steal from or hurt you. I might not tell the truth to keep from embarrassing someone, or I might even lie if it serves a good purpose.

Perhaps some of you think you have a moral obligation to tell everyone of all the dishonesty you observe. I don't.

Predators have to be closely observed to protect the innocent, as Trekkertony stated.

KHONDAHM
udonmap.com

Post by KHONDAHM » December 2, 2009, 7:59 pm

mrnicey1966 wrote:if you lived next door or in the same area / village as a person of dis-honest ways or means , would you report this person to the authorities or would you warn others of this persons dishonest way or would you just turn the other cheek and mind your own business?
In Thailand it is probably better to mind your own business or move if it is a threat to yourself or family. There is no real protection for yourself if reporting the person doesn't turn out the way you might expect.

To share an experience, we rented a house in a very nice modestly upscale suburb of Pattaya. Soon after we moved in, the owner of the house next door (strapped for cash, I heard) rented to what turned out to be Thai drug dealers who were using the house to conduct business. :pirate: Turns out, they rented a few in the area so they could move their stash around safely. The guards at the development entrance were paid and convinced to be their lookouts for cops. Anyway, my first instinct was to move immediately, but I had to leave country for awhile and the wife could not move everything on her own; so we kept to ourselves until I returned and could find another place. No problems from them. No problems from us. Soon after we moved, they moved because the owner was pressured by surrounding owners not to renew the lease.

Now, I did complain to my Thai landlady (connected) and asked if she could do anything about the new neighbors. She contacted the Thai owner who was a bit upset at the fact that his house was being used as a drug house. BUT, as the new tenants were very well connected in the underworld, actually complaining to them about their activities was not something he was anxious to pursue. [-( Chances are, area police were probably on the take, and nothing would be done and the owner would have suffered reprisals. Better to let things be until the lease expired and hope the problem would then just go away. It did.

Unfortunately for our landlady, so did we.

Just my song-baht.

Cheers!

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » December 2, 2009, 8:25 pm

guess the real question is defining the "dishonesty" of the neighbor.. Liar? Pervert? Thief? Murderer? Drug dealer? if the person's a real turd then what's your choice?? How does their "dishonesty" impact on you directly? Grassing or "Snitching" to the cops, to the Pu-Yai Ban?? If it's between them getting jailed or you living in constant fear or even having to move, what do you do?? It's a moral and a practical decision.. The TW in cases where we've know of some fairly nefarious activity will invariably go for doing nothing.. The fear of connected people, revenge, payback et al is always present in Thai Society at certain levels. That said, if the perpetrator is a nobody, then informing the local authorities probably will quickly get them locked up. On the flip side, if they are indeed "connected" or with enough money to make the payoffs, you can bet that if you dimed on them, they'll be looking for some way to get back at you, the least of which will be a drumbeat of rumors and threats passed back from the neighborhood..

BigGulp

Post by BigGulp » December 2, 2009, 10:30 pm

trekkertony wrote:To not grass on someone is a shallow view, if a known sex predator/offender was in a position to sexually assault or at the very least groom young and vulnerable children, are you proposing that you don't grass on the person? The attitude of not grassing has allowed for nefarious actions to gain a stronghold hold in the community. When looking in the mirror l see someone who is willing to protect the weak and vulnerable.
a person of dis-honest ways or means
I don't take that to mean kiddy fiddler. More someone making a living in a dishonest way. In which case if it isn't harming you then best to mind your own business.

mrnicey1966
udonmap.com

Post by mrnicey1966 » December 3, 2009, 4:52 am

If memory serves me right ( and it probably doesn't ) Mr Nicey hails from the Wallisdown area of Bournemouth ( you tube and previous posts )
PANICK mentioned something about bournemouth and he has only been a member since december 09

i am afraid i donot and never have lived in bournemouth , my ex-wife and her in-laws lived there for a short while before they fled with the family inheritence and to avoid the embarassment caused by one of their families imprisonment.

Return to “General Debates & Discussions”