Muslim versus Budhist

General off-topic debates and discussions forum.
mrnicey1966
udonmap.com

Muslim versus Budhist

Post by mrnicey1966 » December 17, 2009, 12:36 pm

Even I know that the majority of Thailand is Budhist but how does the Muslim religion affect Thailand? Do the Muslims demand independence?
Do they want their own schools? Do they mix in with other communities or do they form their own communities?
Is Budhism threatened by muslim?
How is Udon Thani affected by the Muslim religion?

parrot
udonmap.com

Re: Muslim versus Budhist

Post by parrot » December 17, 2009, 4:30 pm

Nice Muslim community in Udon, along with a mosque. See plenty of non-Muslim type Thais eating in the few restaurants that serve southern-style food.
Just came back from a trip up north......a fair share of Muslims in one touristy village. Everyone seemed to get along well.
My own experience is that Thais are very religious tolerant. But in the end, this is a Buddhist country.....97++ %. How well do atheists mix in with their communities back in the US or elsewhere.....or non-Mormans in Salt Lake City? I think it's about the same same here.

Ray.Charles
udonmap.com

Post by Ray.Charles » December 17, 2009, 9:08 pm

Where are the muslim restaurants? Do they serve Roti canai and Penang chicken?

MALC
udonmap.com

Post by MALC » December 17, 2009, 9:36 pm

all the muslim eating places in uk. no the muslims dont mix with any non muslims any where in the world.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » December 17, 2009, 9:38 pm

The mosque is located on SRICHUMCHURN RD, next door to the best Lahb restaurant in Udon (Uncle Mustache). There are a few restaurants on the other side of the mosque that serve up some southern style food.

nkstan
udonmap.com

Post by nkstan » December 18, 2009, 1:19 pm

I think the Muslims that choose to live amongst the Buddhist majority in Isaan,blend in to society without incident!
I think the problem for the Muslims in the South is there objections to a majority ruled by bangkok,that seemingly has no respect for their autonomous needs.This is exacerbated by the fact they were a Muslim area annexed to Thailand!

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » December 18, 2009, 9:55 pm

well, a more pertienent comment would be, there's Muslims, and well, there's Muslims.. Most Muslims around Bangkok and around other major metropolitan Thai areas OTHER than the South, are Thai and speak Thai as their primary language. There has yet to be any problems with the Muslim population groups OUTSIDE of the South. The Buddhist Thais get along quite well with almost any other religion, witness the Thai Taxi driver's in BKK dopping a wai at a Catholic church, a Muslim Mosque, A Chinese or Hindu Temple.. Never hurts to show respect they say..
The Muslims in the South are predominantly ethnically Malay Muslim and speak Yaweh, a distinct non-Thai Malay dialect. Their gripes revolve around perceptions (and sometimes fact0 that they are marginalized by the Thai majority and that the south does not get the proper developmental assistance from the central Thai government.. The current bandits/insurgents/rebels in the South continue to sow destruction and death calling for independence or full autonomy from the central Thai government..
The problems down south have been going on for decades with it heating up over the last 4-5 years. the government has tried a variety of solutions, none of which have quelled the problems, yet..

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » December 18, 2009, 10:03 pm

nkstan wrote:I think the Muslims that choose to live amongst the Buddhist majority in Isaan,blend in to society without incident!
Sounds just like Australia (replace Buddhist with any other religion).

Not that you would believe it if you read the rantings and ravings of the intolerant and redneck minority.

Aardvark
udonmap.com

Post by Aardvark » December 19, 2009, 12:26 pm

I hate it when you call me a Redneck Jack :evil: you may change your mind one day when you go home and find some Raghead at Immigration looking over your Passport and telling you he may not want you in HIS Country :D

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » December 19, 2009, 12:57 pm

Aa do you disagree with Stan's comment, vis a vis Australia?

I am not sure what a "Raghead" is, but I have no doubt Australia Customs (who do the passport stamping at airports) have a number of headscarf-wearing Muslims in their ranks, as well as turbaned Sihks.

Aardvark
udonmap.com

Post by Aardvark » December 19, 2009, 1:26 pm

We have a Muslim Family in our Street and they get picked up every day to go to there Muslim School. They seem like nice kids but if you speak to them they jump a mile and run inside. They are not allowed to speak or play with the other kids (Oz, Chinese, Vietnamese, Indian, Northern European). Yes Jack all the other kids get along great including my little Thai beauty, but the Muslims will not even give us the time of day. I wish I could find it now, but a few weeks back in the Paper they did an article where the stats showed that in the last ten years more than 80% of these lovely people who have graced our shores uninvited are still living on the Dole and breeding so many children among them that they actually earn more than the average Australian who holds down a full time Job. In the Middle East you are not allowed to practice your own Religion, and must abide by Local standard of dress and behaviour, but in our country they demand we respect them and there Culture. If it was up to me they would all be back home eating Goat with the same Fingers they wipe themselves with. "Raghead" = dirty greasy piece of filth !!

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » December 19, 2009, 2:00 pm

Yes, I know what you mean Aa - I have memories of school a school bus coming to pick up kids in my street. They were white kids, and were being taken to their own exclusive Jehovahs Witness school. And they weren't allowed to play with the rest of us kids.

Out of interest, what came first?:
"Raghead" = dirty greasy piece of filth !!
or
They seem like nice kids but if you speak to them they jump a mile and run inside. They are not allowed to speak or play with the other kids
:-k

rjj04
udonmap.com

Post by rjj04 » December 19, 2009, 2:13 pm

Those children are isolated from the rest because it would be a shame if they heard something that made them doubt "their" (as children should not be labeled a Christian/Muslim/Jewish/etc child) religion. In the case of Muslim children, if they hear something that makes them doubt "their" religion, and then they want to convert to another religion (or give up on superstitious thought altogether), they might have to die first!

In Islamic law (sharia), the consensus view is that a male apostate must be put to death unless he suffers from a mental disorder or converted under duress, for example, due to an imminent danger of being killed. Lookup "Apostasy in Islam."

IMO any religion where you are told you are in that religion from birth, whether you like it or not, and later in life you want out, then you must be stoned to death (or whatever corporal punishment is in vogue at the time) ... that religion is unacceptable. UN where are you? Of course the same fate met people in Christian Europe not so long ago. :-&

In the long run, there is only one solution to these sort of issues. :-k

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » December 19, 2009, 2:34 pm

As sharia law does not apply in Thailand, the subject of the penalty for apostasy here would seem to be well outside the OP's topic.

And as it was me who dragged it off-topic in the first place, I shall now desist. =D>

nkstan
udonmap.com

Post by nkstan » December 19, 2009, 3:34 pm

I mentioned it before,but I was living in a Muslim neighborhood ,in Bangkok,during 9/11 and the people there were apologetic to me for what happened,I was given gifts of free food by vendors not accepting payment,and treated with more respect ,before and after 9/11,than anyplace else in Thailand with the possible exception of NK,where I am recognized and acknowledged by many locals.

I was invited to a Muslim school for their ''awards'' day ,which I attended,visiting several of the neighborhood children's classrooms to admire their personal art displays.I was warmly welcomed by all the teachers and families in attendance without the slightest feeling of phoniness !

I had no experience with Muslim people before my move to that neighborhood(Prakanong Sukumvit 71 area) and I found interaction with the Thai Muslims easy and relaxing with plenty of real smiles.Several of the children came and used my condo pool,5 of them being girls 5-11 and unchaperoned,which I considered as a sign of trust and respect!

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » December 20, 2009, 6:40 am

Someone said there are Muslims and there are Muslims, well yes that is true of so many religions, all have their ardent diehards, those who go down a straight narrow path who have no desire to mix, or even tolerate others. the problem with Muslims is that unlike other religions it would appear that even their Immans will not speak out against the members of islam who treat others contary to the teachings of Mohammed.

That is a documented fact and so because of that , many people view Muslims as the bad guys, when in fact only a minority is the problem. It is the same everywhere really, it is always the minority that spoli it for the majority, and as the majority we all sit idly by hoping something will happen to sort out the problem.

Years ago we would have all done something, now perhaps by becoming more civilised we feel it is not our place to do anything, so in some ways we are reaping what we sow.

I know many Muslioms, Hindus, as well as Christians and catholics ( ok they are Christian as well), but in many aspects we have differences but the basic premsie is the same, treat others as you would expect to be treated.

Some of the followers of Islam do not even understand that basic premise.

Return to “General Debates & Discussions”