Aussie slang dying out?

General off-topic debates and discussions forum.
Arosolius
udonmap.com

Aussie slang dying out?

Post by Arosolius » July 4, 2014, 10:09 am

Karatha's in the Pilbara region in North W.A. where they're renowned for their bad spelling and road signs with sexual references. They can't even spell gonorrhea let alone humbugging. I took all these pics in the Pilbara.

I was told some very funny stories about how East Intercourse Island got its name.
SS4.jpg
Attachments
SS26.jpg
SS122.jpg
SS14.jpg
One of the Pilbara's classier establishments
SS115.jpg
SS116.jpg

Barney
udonmap.com

Aussie slang dying out?

Post by Barney » July 4, 2014, 2:11 pm

Arosolius,

I hope you enjoyed your tour or work experience in the Pilbara region, nice photos, the classy establishment is not in the Pilbara but the Kimberley, same same but 2000km further up the track. I have lived and worked in all those araes and remember it well from when I was first called upon ions ago to come and help the WA people out with our skills and modern work traits and technology from the eastern states
, actually the WA sandgroper would quite often encourage us so called eastern staters, by giving us advice as follows..." why don't ya fu...n eastern staters fu...n go back to where ya fu...n came from and stop fu..n coming here and taking our fu...n money, now Fu.k off" . Having grown up in a working class family I just took this as good ol s..t stirring. But little did the sand groper( or west coast bogan) know we from the east and in particular Sydney were actually leading them out of the dark ages and teaching them simple things like, manners, oral hygiene, speech therapy, bootlace tying, how to open a bank account and many more hiso things that has eventually lead them to what you will find in their towns today, that being a savvy and educated group of beings. You only have to go to Karratha today and you will find happy contented people with a true fashion sense, all dressed the same in bright yellow or orange work outfits engaging in meaningful non slang social intercourse.

GT93
udonmap.com

Aussie slang dying out?

Post by GT93 » July 4, 2014, 2:22 pm

A cockroach bites back. It would seem that Bondy followed the advice from steak and kidney too closely. :D
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Aussie slang dying out?

Post by jackspratt » July 4, 2014, 2:49 pm

Barney wrote:......... But little did the sand groper( or west coast bogan) know we from the east and in particular Sydney were actually leading them out of the dark ages and teaching them simple things like, manners, oral hygiene, speech therapy, bootlace tying, how to open a bank account and many more hiso things that has eventually lead them to what you will find in their towns today, that being a savvy and educated group of beings.
Barney - aka Webster - exhorting the Sydney intelligentsia in Speakers Corner at the Domain in Sydney (circa 1973) to join him on his crusade to travel to the wild West, thereupon to save the hapless locals from their ignorant and backward ways.

:D
Attachments
john-carnemolla.jpg
Barney/Webster - our saviour!

Barney
udonmap.com

Aussie slang dying out?

Post by Barney » July 4, 2014, 4:34 pm

jackspratt wrote:
Barney wrote:......... But little did the sand groper( or west coast bogan) know we from the east and in particular Sydney were actually leading them out of the dark ages and teaching them simple things like, manners, oral hygiene, speech therapy, bootlace tying, how to open a bank account and many more hiso things that has eventually lead them to what you will find in their towns today, that being a savvy and educated group of beings.
Barney - aka Webster - exhorting the Sydney intelligentsia in Speakers Corner at the Domain in Sydney (circa 1973) to join him on his crusade to travel to the wild West, thereupon to save the hapless locals from their ignorant and backward ways.

:D
Well picked up Jack,
but with all that orange clothing it actually looks like uncle Webster giving a speech to the Rajneesh followers in the park at Fremantle WA circa 72, for all those young enough to remember that group of losers, tough titties was the slang saying of the day from their female secretary.

grievous
udonmap.com

Aussie slang dying out?

Post by grievous » July 4, 2014, 6:16 pm

Barney wrote:Arosolius,

I hope you enjoyed your tour or work experience in the Pilbara region, nice photos, the classy establishment is not in the Pilbara but the Kimberley, same same but 2000km further up the track. I have lived and worked in all those araes and remember it well from when I was first called upon ions ago to come and help the WA people out with our skills and modern work traits and technology from the eastern states
, actually the WA sandgroper would quite often encourage us so called eastern staters, by giving us advice as follows..." why don't ya fu...n eastern staters fu...n go back to where ya fu...n came from and stop fu..n coming here and taking our fu...n money, now Fu.k off" . Having grown up in a working class family I just took this as good ol s..t stirring. But little did the sand groper( or west coast bogan) know we from the east and in particular Sydney were actually leading them out of the dark ages and teaching them simple things like, manners, oral hygiene, speech therapy, bootlace tying, how to open a bank account and many more hiso things that has eventually lead them to what you will find in their towns today, that being a savvy and educated group of beings. You only have to go to Karratha today and you will find happy contented people with a true fashion sense, all dressed the same in bright yellow or orange work outfits engaging in meaningful non slang social intercourse.

:lol: Very entertaining read and accurate.

macca46
udonmap.com

Aussie slang dying out?

Post by macca46 » July 4, 2014, 7:44 pm

The first time I went WA was by train many many years ago and I believe there were a couple of radio stations used to announce when the trains arrived "we have just got another arrival of wise men from the EAST" LOFL.

If any Ausie's can tell me where I can buy Jacky Howe work singlet's would like to buy some I have seen a Thai wearing one maybe a gift, thanks

macca46

grievous
udonmap.com

Aussie slang dying out?

Post by grievous » July 4, 2014, 8:46 pm

Macca would a Bonds Bluey or truckies singlet do the trick?

WA people should look at allowing Eastern staters over to earn money as a way of paying back letting them play Victorias great game of AFL.
Sorry I'm a bit off the original topic ......blimey....fair suck of the sav....Have a go ya mug......your as useless as titts on a bull (that's one from my old man)

macca46
udonmap.com

Aussie slang dying out?

Post by macca46 » July 4, 2014, 10:49 pm

Thanks grievous yeah i used to a truckie only moved over permanantly to live 5 months ago could only bring so much I do not give a "rat's ar-e " just a bit of something that is cool to where the same as AUS who gives a f..k about looks once a digger always a digger.

Yes if any one can tell me where I can buy a Bonds Bluey or a Truckie's singlet thanks a lor my old "china plates"

Have a good weekend and "don't forget the areoguard"

I am from Melbourne so please do not hold that against me.

Cheers
macca46

Harpo
udonmap.com

Aussie slang dying out?

Post by Harpo » July 5, 2014, 4:29 am

jackspratt wrote:
downunder wrote:Well said Harpo, Bogans come in many shapes and forms, especially from those who choose to reside in the sticks, away from others. They organize their own little world, A Bogan is one thing, but a smart ass Bogan ?????
My definition of bogan is slightly different to yours. I would have thought the quintessential bogan is one who has a Aussie flag + kangaroo as their avatar. Unlike your goodself, poor old Harpo only qualifies on the first part. :D
Poor old Sir Jackie Sprattly, ya sees Sir Jackie tat True Blue Blokes lika me, and me True Blue Mate, good ole downunder, being patriotic ya knows , lika ta use da Aussie Flag, and da Ausssie Flag ta-geffer wiva da Kanga, for our avatars..... you Sir Jackie, ya usa da women's bum, to avatars you, musta be a reasons for that, the minda boggles, ....anyways,I am tinking Sir Jackie, thata maybe ya shoulda be a little bita more the embarrassed bya nows...... :oops: :oops: :oops: .....cheer..sa... da harpo
Great Southern Land

GT93
udonmap.com

Aussie slang dying out?

Post by GT93 » July 5, 2014, 6:22 am

macca46 wrote:
I am from Melbourne so please do not hold that against me.

Cheers
macca46
Ripper it means you are a top bloke unless you were or are a friend of Carl Williams, the Morans, Mick Gatto, Mick Malthouse, Jeff Kennett and a few other undesirables. This praise however doesn't mean that you can go around big-noting yourself or acting like a show pony on the forum. That will have a few people spewin'. We have more than enough yobbo members here. I'm a yobbo in training although some members might say I have graduated.

downunder
udonmap.com

Aussie slang dying out?

Post by downunder » July 5, 2014, 6:54 am

TO JACK SPRATT, You excuse for an Aussie, My Avatar shows patriotism, yours shows where your patriotism and desire lay. If that is what you desire well good for you but DO NOT issue degrading remarks about the Aussie Flag or Kangaroo. I once made a remark that you were a bi-product of a 10 pound Pom with an Australian Passport, Western Australia is full of Poms just like you. A Grogan as I know it as I grew up is a colloquial term for a Turd which in turn is a colloquial term for nonsense.

GT93
udonmap.com

Aussie slang dying out?

Post by GT93 » July 5, 2014, 7:13 am

There's a right blue going on here boys. It's more fun when you're larrikins. Go have a naughty tonight and forget about all this.

P.S. macca46 I forgot to include James Hird in the list of Victorian undesirables.

downunder
udonmap.com

Aussie slang dying out?

Post by downunder » July 5, 2014, 7:21 am

No Blue GT, just some people have to be put in their place, not to be subjected to Snide remarks, after all this is a forum for good fellowship, not the rubbish dished out by the Grogan.

Arosolius
udonmap.com

Aussie slang dying out?

Post by Arosolius » July 5, 2014, 8:44 am

macca46 wrote:Thanks grievous yeah i used to a truckie only moved over permanantly to live 5 months ago could only bring so much I do not give a "rat's ar-e " just a bit of something that is cool to where macca46
You missed out a word Macca. What was it? I used to....a waitress but I think that's a different missing word.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Aussie slang dying out?

Post by jackspratt » July 5, 2014, 8:55 am

downunder wrote:TO JACK SPRATT, You excuse for an Aussie, My Avatar shows patriotism, yours shows where your patriotism and desire lay. If that is what you desire well good for you but DO NOT issue degrading remarks about the Aussie Flag or Kangaroo. I once made a remark that you were a bi-product of a 10 pound Pom with an Australian Passport, Western Australia is full of Poms just like you. A Grogan as I know it as I grew up is a colloquial term for a Turd which in turn is a colloquial term for nonsense.
Ahhh ........ good old "patriotism" - fair dinkum cobber:
Patriot: the person who can holler the loudest without knowing what he is hollering about.
Mark Twain
Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all others because you were born in it.
George Bernard Shaw
It is lamentable, that to be a good patriot one must become the enemy of the rest of mankind.
Voltaire
Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel.
Samuel Johnson
Unfortunately, I couldn't find a quote for a scatological patriot for you. ;)

Arosolius
udonmap.com

Aussie slang dying out?

Post by Arosolius » July 5, 2014, 9:14 am

Barney wrote:Arosolius,

Thanks Barney you're right. I had the Kimberley pic in my Pilbara folder. I think it's time you went back up there and did a refresher course because not much has changed. I experienced the same kindly advice when I worked up there in 2006.

Of course, these days we should distinguish between northern and southern Sand Gropers; the southern being a much more sophisticated creature than the Homo Belligeranus types in the north.

Attached are pics of both junior and senior northern Sand Gropers dressed in the modern day Karatha fashion you described and two more featuring the junior and senior Belligeranus throwbacks.
Attachments
Newman16.JPG
lambBoy2.JPG
Bridgetown3.jpg
Newmankids1.JPG

fatbob
udonmap.com

Aussie slang dying out?

Post by fatbob » July 5, 2014, 10:19 am

jackspratt wrote:Aussie slang dying out?
by jackspratt » July 5, 2014, 8:55 am

downunder wrote:
TO JACK SPRATT, You excuse for an Aussie, My Avatar shows patriotism, yours shows where your patriotism and desire lay. If that is what you desire well good for you but DO NOT issue degrading remarks about the Aussie Flag or Kangaroo. I once made a remark that you were a bi-product of a 10 pound Pom with an Australian Passport, Western Australia is full of Poms just like you. A Grogan as I know it as I grew up is a colloquial term for a Turd which in turn is a colloquial term for nonsense.

Ahhh ........ good old "patriotism" - fair dinkum cobber:

Patriot: the person who can holler the loudest without knowing what he is hollering about.
Mark Twain

Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all others because you were born in it.
George Bernard Shaw

It is lamentable, that to be a good patriot one must become the enemy of the rest of mankind.
Voltaire

Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel.
Samuel Johnson

Unfortunately, I couldn't find a quote for a scatological patriot for you.

Whats the word for to much time on your hands? You went to all that trouble to find quotes to support your beliefs, get a life man!

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Aussie slang dying out?

Post by jackspratt » July 5, 2014, 10:35 am

coxo wrote:
Whats the word for to much time on your hands? You went to all that trouble to find quotes to support your beliefs, get a life man!
The word you are searching for is "retired". :D

The quotes were all in the one place, so probably took about as much time to find as it took you to write your very kind lifestyle advice.

Barney
udonmap.com

Aussie slang dying out?

Post by Barney » July 5, 2014, 12:10 pm

Thanks Jack
The word "retired"

over the years there must have been many slang words or terms for it that have just faded away.

"put Out to pasture" "golden handshake" " DCM" " did he jump or was he pushed" "got the boot"
"given the ar.e" "paid out"

I suppose it depends on if you were forced (age or illness) to retire or took voluntary retirement or redundancy,

There must be plenty of retired old fa.ts on UM that are sitting back with time on their hands, so what slang term was used when you were shown the door to your working life. Maybe for some it was "hit the road Jack, don't you come back no more no more" :-" :D

Return to “General Debates & Discussions”