Distinguishing between Fact, Opinion, Belief, and Prejudice

General off-topic debates and discussions forum.
JimboPSM
udonmap.com

Post by JimboPSM » October 18, 2014, 5:24 pm

I recently came across this piece on the Colorado State University website:
Distinguishing Between Fact, Opinion, Belief, and Prejudice

When forming personal convictions, we often interpret factual evidence through the filter of our values, feelings, tastes, and past experiences. Hence, most statements we make in speaking and writing are assertions of fact, opinion, belief, or prejudice. The usefulness and acceptability of an assertion can be improved or diminished by the nature of the assertion, depending on which of the following categories it falls into:

A fact is verifiable. We can determine whether it is true by researching the evidence. This may involve numbers, dates, testimony, etc. (Ex.: "World War II ended in 1945.") The truth of the fact is beyond argument if one can assume that measuring devices or records or memories are correct. Facts provide crucial support for the assertion of an argument. However, facts by themselves are worthless unless we put them in context, draw conclusions, and, thus, give them meaning.

An opinion is a judgment based on facts, an honest attempt to draw a reasonable conclusion from factual evidence. (For example, we know that millions of people go without proper medical care, and so you form the opinion that the country should institute national health insurance even though it would cost billions of dollars.) An opinion is potentially changeable--depending on how the evidence is interpreted. By themselves, opinions have little power to convince. You must always let your reader know what your evidence is and how it led you to arrive at your opinion.

Unlike an opinion, a belief is a conviction based on cultural or personal faith, morality, or values. Statements such as "Capital punishment is legalized murder" are often called "opinions" because they express viewpoints, but they are not based on facts or other evidence. They cannot be disproved or even contested in a rational or logical manner. Since beliefs are inarguable, they cannot serve as the thesis of a formal argument. (Emotional appeals can, of course, be useful if you happen to know that your audience shares those beliefs.)

Another kind of assertion that has no place in serious argumentation is prejudice, a half-baked opinion based on insufficient or unexamined evidence. (Ex.: "Women are bad drivers.") Unlike a belief, a prejudice is testable: it can be contested and disproved on the basis of facts. We often form prejudices or accept them from others--family, friends, the media, etc.--without questioning their meaning or testing their truth. At best, prejudices are careless oversimplifications. At worst, they reflect a narrow-minded view of the world. Most of all, they are not likely to win the confidence or agreement of your readers.

(Adapted from: Fowler, H. Ramsey. The Little, Brown Handbook. Boston: Little, Brown, 1986.)

Source: http://writing.colostate.edu/guides/tea ... pop12d.cfm
With the growth of fact checking in the media it gave me cause to think that we should have something similar here, but to make it more fun members would be required to state whether the comments they made were based on facts, opinions, beliefs, prejudices or as an alternative source that some members use (but anatomically is not covered above) extracted straight out of their butts :shock:

Other members could then judge the comments in some kind of appropriate manner :-k

Ashamed to be English since 23rd June 2016 when England voted for racism & economic suicide.

Disgusted that the UK is “governed” by a squalid bunch of economically illiterate, self-serving, sleazy and corrupt neo-fascists.

JoeThrows
udonmap.com

Re: Distinguishing between Fact, Opinion, Belief, and Prejud

Post by JoeThrows » October 18, 2014, 5:31 pm

They lost me at "women are bad drivers" has no place in a serious argument.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » October 18, 2014, 5:36 pm

Nice piece Jimbo.
Issue might be to then make any piece actually readable [1], without some sort of Wiki type reference system [2], if you see what I mean [3]

[1] Opinion
[2] Fact see any article on http://www.wikipedia.org/
[3] Belief

My football reports would have to be headed that everything except actual scores (Facts) are prejudice :D

JimboPSM
udonmap.com

Post by JimboPSM » October 18, 2014, 5:43 pm

BobHelm wrote:... My football reports would have to be headed that everything except actual scores (Facts) are prejudice :D
.... if your football reports could cause problems, the mind simply boggles at just what "Grass Roots Footie" could cause :yikes:
Ashamed to be English since 23rd June 2016 when England voted for racism & economic suicide.

Disgusted that the UK is “governed” by a squalid bunch of economically illiterate, self-serving, sleazy and corrupt neo-fascists.

Bonanza
udonmap.com

Post by Bonanza » October 18, 2014, 10:31 pm

I'm a little concerned about anyone who would consider 'Wikipedia' their fact based source! Certainly there are good authoritative articles, but also a lot of 'facts' which are supposition. I also get disappointed when I read that facts are based on quoting what someone else has said or written. :shock:

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » October 19, 2014, 6:02 am

It was their reference system that I was referring to in my post, not if they were, or were not, a good source of factual material.

It is one of the issues I have discovered with attempting to hold serious debates on the internet. People rarely read replies as they are written, but skim read & then come to a conclusion about that was never offered by the original poster..

Bonanza
udonmap.com

Post by Bonanza » October 19, 2014, 6:24 am

Quote " ....without some sort of Wiki type reference system". That was what I was commenting on - the fact that many articles in Wikipedia have a subjective and unsubstantiated reference system. Is that what you are advocating Bob [-X

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » October 19, 2014, 6:30 am

Wiki has a very clear & easy to understand reference system Bonanza.
In nearly all cases it is possible to get back to the source document.
When articles are of questionable source that is clearly marked at the start of the article with requests that users supply additional sources of information.

But if you consider it poor that is certainly an opinion you are entitled to.
In that case which source of information would you consider world class in terms of how the reference system works??

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » October 19, 2014, 7:15 am

This is an interesting post, I ask members to consider the following purported to have been said by Budda, some years ago ( quite A FEW YEARS ACTUALLY )

BELIEVE NOTHING UNLESS YOU YOURSELF HAVE MADE SURE IT IS TRUE

That is only a small part of the larger saying, but basically that is what we all should do. Wikipedia has its place as does the major world wide published dictionaries as well as scientific fact garnered over the years .
I take the definitions of fact and opinion, and add to them both, they are the accepted definitions, but as with all things how a person looks at something and what he/she feels about something can and does change peoples perceptions.
One man's meat is another's poison...sort of thing, what one may consider a fact, another would consider that an opinion depends on the reason for saying it and the circumstances .
If life could be pigeon holed as the written definitions are it would be easy. but you have to include culture/emotions/intelligence/education/ understanding and a myriad of other sources of information the average human has or had that determines what a person thinks or how they think.
There are three basic facts which are indisputable
1 We are born
2 We grow old
3 We die

The only one that is open is the second one, which is how old do we get before we die.

Return to “General Debates & Discussions”