An Australian perspective of US gun laws.

General off-topic debates and discussions forum.
jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » December 5, 2014, 6:39 pm

Let me help you out, Joe.

Hunting slingshots ie those with an arm bracket, are banned, as are mass produced slingshots meant for commercial distribution and sale.

The backyard slingshot (called a ging in some states) are not banned.

JoeThrows
udonmap.com

Re: An Australian perspective of US gun laws.

Post by JoeThrows » December 5, 2014, 6:54 pm

I'm reading the NFA right now, pure comedy. Air rifles and paintball classified the same as rifles. That's equivalent to the u.s. Putting ganja in the same category as heroin and cocaine.

"Airsoft guns are banned in all states and non-firing replicas banned in most."

That'll show 'em!

JoeThrows
udonmap.com

Post by JoeThrows » December 5, 2014, 7:02 pm

jackspratt wrote:Let me help you out, Joe.

Hunting slingshots ie those with an arm bracket, are banned, as are mass produced slingshots meant for commercial distribution and sale.

The backyard slingshot (called a ging in some states) are not banned.
Reason for banning? Can you name a specific instance where people rob the local gas station with a slingshot? How about a slingshot murder?

Held up a bank with a slingshot?

It had to have happened many times to call for a ban or else you just can't be trusted with your own safety?

JoeThrows
udonmap.com

Post by JoeThrows » December 5, 2014, 7:07 pm

Good to know that you all sleep better at night with these vicious slingshot gangs off the street!

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » December 5, 2014, 7:09 pm

JoeThrows wrote:I'm reading the NFA right now, pure comedy. Air rifles and paintball classified the same as rifles. That's equivalent to the u.s. Putting ganja in the same category as heroin and cocaine.

"Airsoft guns are banned in all states and non-firing replicas banned in most."

That'll show 'em!
Ah! I see where you are getting your information from now - the US NRA (presumably not the NFA- National Firearms Association of Canada).

Hillarious. :lol: :lol: :lol:

How's the Koh Mak holiday going?

JoeThrows
udonmap.com

Post by JoeThrows » December 5, 2014, 7:23 pm

JoeThrows
udonmap.com

Post by JoeThrows » December 5, 2014, 7:36 pm

jackspratt wrote:
JoeThrows wrote:
How's the Koh Mak holiday going?
Love it here, quietest Thai beaches I've ever been to. Water is clear and the weather is lurvely. Thanks for asking :)

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » December 5, 2014, 8:32 pm

JoeThrows wrote: "Airsoft guns are banned in all states and non-firing replicas banned in most."
I guess that is why Australia doesn't have any Tamar Rice's - meanwhile, in many US states you can legally purchase an assault weapon.

Purely for hunting, and fighting off the government of course. :D

JoeThrows
udonmap.com

Post by JoeThrows » December 5, 2014, 8:35 pm

Don't buy the propaganda jack. They are only "assault" weapons in private hands, the very same weapon for govt use is called a "defense" weapon.

Small but significant difference used to persuade the less observant to follow an agenda

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » December 5, 2014, 8:40 pm

Explain to me then Joe - why does a private individual need an assault/defense weapon?

JoeThrows
udonmap.com

Post by JoeThrows » December 5, 2014, 8:56 pm

Remove need and replace with want, and go from there. "Assault" weapon is a political term only. That's an undeniable fact. It was coined by far left liberals to make people like you feel threatened by it and require protection from it.

I already provided an opportunity for people like yourself to post actual crime statistics from the FBI or the DOJ regarding firearms deaths in America in order to enlighten you as to the actual facts about shootings in America but you insist on hanging on to political beliefs that were tailor made to scare you.

Nobody in America is killed with these so called "assault" weapons, the number is so small in the grand scheme of things as to be insignificant.

Don't believe me? Would you believe the FBI or the DOJ?

Why would anyone "need" a handgun? I don't know, I've never felt the need. Facts are though that Americans are killed with handguns, not "assault" weapons.

Look it up and post your results please. And when you find out that Americans aren't being slaughtered with either assault weapons or handguns you can apologize or just continue to bury your head in the sand, up to you.

The vast majority of gun related deaths in America are suicide. I guess that's the easiest way for people to reach a permanent answer to a temporary problem.

Why do people "need" to kill themselves?

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » December 5, 2014, 10:32 pm

Plenty of red herrings and strawmen there Joe. =D>

But to keep the conversation on track - why do American private citizens feel the need to possess automatic/semi-automatic weapons of the long barrel variety?

I took the time to look up the rate of gun-related deaths in the US (murder/suicide/other), and it is by far the highest amongst advanced developed nations in the world - by a factor of nearly 3.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/health/2013 ... udy-finds/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_co ... death_rate

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » December 6, 2014, 8:51 am

Joe perhaps replace "need" with "want".

All the statistics I see within a discussion of gun laws is always about deaths.
I am in an industry which uses safety statistics to show that if certain number of unsafe behaviors and incidents are allowed to occur then inevitably there will be a fatality. Proven fact. Any of the incidents or fatality can and are investigated using a root cause ananlyisis.
So while at work sipping my green tea this morning I was trying to relate the same pyramid of statistics, where a death is the pinnacle, to gun related fatalities.
So what are the incidents or behaviors that would lead to a gun fatality? And how many are there before said fatality occurs. Not all shots fired in anger hit the target.
Forget the weapon type, just bullets leaving a barrel. What is the number of shots fired to get a kill.
So
How many shots are fired
How many miss the target
How many hit the target
When the target is hit, how many are injuries and non fatal, how many shots are fatal.

Would it be 50 or 5000 shots fired to get a kill.

For each gun related death laying in a morgue,
How many are treated and sent home and how many laying in a hospital bed, 1000's ?
That may show the real problem with Gun Laws and a need for change.

JoeThrows
udonmap.com

Post by JoeThrows » December 6, 2014, 9:39 am

Jack if you want to discuss gun related crime rates in the us, only FBI and/or DOJ stats are credible sources of info, with specific categories for each incident.

As for why does anyone need a long barreled gun, that's a philosophical question and has no bearing here. The fact is that in America, we are allowed to own them and that's that,

Why does anyone need a Ferrari that does 300km per hour if the speed limit is 80? Why does any need religion in their political party?

Americans hunt, with slingshots, crossbows, rifles even a bow.

I don't have a need for any if them so I don't own any.
I also don't need someone from another country telling me what I need.

fatbob
udonmap.com

Post by fatbob » December 6, 2014, 10:15 am

You really need to watch the video Mr Joe, most of your narrow minded responses would be answered by simply doing just that, you commented within five minutes of this thread starting yet never saw the video, are you always so vocal whilst being so misinformed? Just about every point you raise is addressed in this video, it is one of the funniest comedy skits I have seen for a long time hence why I posted it, some how I don't think you will like it as you are definitely a minority within the ten per cent mentioned, if you don't see the vid you will have know idea what I'm talking about although I'm sure you will still have something to say!

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » July 14, 2015, 1:12 am

A NRA perspective of Australian gun laws:

http://www.watoday.com.au/world/your-gu ... iaqal.html

Some posters might think this is bananas; others might think it fair and balanced. Personally I think it's really badly mashed bananas.
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » July 14, 2015, 3:52 am

GT93 wrote:A NRA perspective of Australian gun laws:

http://www.watoday.com.au/world/your-gu ... iaqal.html

Some posters might think this is bananas; others might think it fair and balanced. Personally I think it's really badly mashed bananas.

"The US now has a gun homicide rate 370 times that of Australia's, Mr Chapman writes."

Three thoughts:

The Jon Stewart in me sees ......Wayne LaPierre standing before masses of NRA devotees, all with a cup of grape koolaid, singing Lee Greenwood's "Proud to be an American" as LaPierre flashes Mr. Chapman's quote on the screen behind him.

A 21 year old shooting 9 church goers in South Caroline helped put another nail in the Civil War coffin.......A few years ago, I felt certain that Adam Lanza put one of the first nails in the NRA coffin...after Sandy Hook. Instead, the American public went out and bought more guns than ever. It leaves me wondering what sort of event will drive that first nail.

Sigh.

ronan01
udonmap.com

Post by ronan01 » July 14, 2015, 6:44 am

JoeThrows wrote:Remove need and replace with want, and go from there. "Assault" weapon is a political term only. That's an undeniable fact. It was coined by far left liberals to make people like you feel threatened by it and require protection from it.

I already provided an opportunity for people like yourself to post actual crime statistics from the FBI or the DOJ regarding firearms deaths in America in order to enlighten you as to the actual facts about shootings in America but you insist on hanging on to political beliefs that were tailor made to scare you.

Nobody in America is killed with these so called "assault" weapons, the number is so small in the grand scheme of things as to be insignificant.

Don't believe me? Would you believe the FBI or the DOJ?

Why would anyone "need" a handgun? I don't know, I've never felt the need. Facts are though that Americans are killed with handguns, not "assault" weapons.

Look it up and post your results please. And when you find out that Americans aren't being slaughtered with either assault weapons or handguns you can apologize or just continue to bury your head in the sand, up to you.

The vast majority of gun related deaths in America are suicide. I guess that's the easiest way for people to reach a permanent answer to a temporary problem.

Comrade Pratt will resist to the bitter end answering your question "how many people are killed by assualt rifles", he will talk around the subject and provide alternative but irrelevant statistics, but not answer the question. He also has a habit of trying to censor what others read and quote. Good luck trying to get a straight answer to your straight question.

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » July 14, 2015, 8:20 am

In an article entitled Australia: There Will be Blood, the National Rifle Association in the US has launched an attack on Australia's gun laws in the latest edition of its most militant gun rights publication, America's First Freedom.
The article claims there is a "growing consensus" in Australia that the gun buyback and ban on semi-automatic weapons introduced after the Port Arthur massacre in 1996 had failed to make the nation safer.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/world/your-gun-la ... z3fpAfr0Fv

NRA you are about 20 years to late
Australia had blood

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » July 14, 2015, 8:42 am

ronan01 wrote:
Comrade Pratt will resist to the bitter end answering your question "how many people are killed by assualt rifles", he will talk around the subject and provide alternative but irrelevant statistics, but not answer the question. He also has a habit of trying to censor what others read and quote. Good luck trying to get a straight answer to your straight question.
Hmmm! ......... 8 months later, P&G hops in, and squawks about red herrings such as "how many people are killed by "assualt" ( :-k ) rifles".

Not that he is remotely interested in the answer. :D

Return to “General Debates & Discussions”