What would you do?

General off-topic debates and discussions forum.
samster
udonmap.com

What would you do?

Post by samster » February 4, 2016, 11:17 am

Firstly, for my part anyway, this is not a rant about Thailand. I have been here long enough to know how people can be (as they can be in other countries!!) - just interested to know what others would have done.

So, I am waiting for a bus from my village to Udon. I would add that I am not skint, have my own transport but, I choose to use public transport when I can. Whilst waiting another younger Thai arrives and later a Monk.

After 20 minutes, one of the mini vans shows up and stops in front of me. I open the door but, fatally, hesitate as I am unsure whether to let the Monk go first. This allows the younger Thai guy to go past me and take a seat. A quick survey of the van reveals there is only 1 more seat free. The Monk is ambling slowly forward but I still have plenty of time to make a choice.

My choice was irrelevant as, without any acknowledgement, he walks past me and takes the last seat. Not only that but he immediately closes the door.

Any thoughts. I would never make a scene anyway so was happy with my "choice".

I had another half hour wait for the next bus by the way!

papafarang
udonmap.com

What would you do?

Post by papafarang » February 4, 2016, 11:24 am

i would have got in and let the Thai's figure out which one has to leave, the young thai guy showed no respect for the monk as he should have let him in first anyway. next time don't hesitate
Hansa village clubhouse . Tel 0981657001 https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Han ... 5851?hl=en

Shado
udonmap.com

What would you do?

Post by Shado » February 4, 2016, 11:28 am

I would never make a scene anyway so was happy with my "choice".
I would have made the same "choice" and would have felt the same way.

Barney
udonmap.com

What would you do?

Post by Barney » February 4, 2016, 12:16 pm

Your assimilation into thai culture( as some would put it) is now complete.

Personally I think you did the right thing on the large scheme of things.
Would you change you body position next time to keep the young one at bay for that split second?

Soonsoon
udonmap.com

What would you do?

Post by Soonsoon » February 4, 2016, 12:23 pm

The ol story..... Nice guys come last :( But I would rather be last than be disrespectful or rude :)

Jello
udonmap.com

What would you do?

Post by Jello » February 4, 2016, 1:31 pm

samster wrote: - just interested to know what others would have done.
You did the right thing. I would have done the same as you, but I might just start taking my own vehicle after that.
Barney wrote:Your assimilation into thai culture( as some would put it) is now complete.
=D>

In some situations here as a foreigner you will be treated as if you are a invisible irrelevant second-class citizen. Or could have just been a rude person who would have taken advantage of anyone who was trying to be polite. Whatever, you know you did the right thing, don't let it ruin your day. Have a back-up plan and get on with your life.
8)
UFF DA!

waanjai
udonmap.com

What would you do?

Post by waanjai » February 4, 2016, 5:54 pm

Obviously it was a rather silent communication and no actual exchange of facts happened.

Guesses or probabilities come into the equation.
As you were waiting near the place where you live, it is likely that the two Thais knew that the Farang would be the only person with allternative means of transportation at hand.
That might have been broken but then it would have to be communicated to the non-Monk Thai and would have given the Farang the second place in the queue.

Given the joint "understanding" of the situation, the actual rank order was ok. The "logic" behind it remembers one at the logic applied in many road accidents in Thailand: The chance that the person with the most comprehensive insurance will have to take the costs are much higher than in situations in which an even distribution of insurances among all participants prevails. Its a way of coping with social inequality in everyday Asian life.

mickojak
udonmap.com

What would you do?

Post by mickojak » February 4, 2016, 6:45 pm

I have learn't when shopping, especially at 7/11, it's first in best dressed, and no-one bats an eyelid.
I actually think it more about the asian view of saving face.
I'm smarter than you, I'm faster than you etc, gives them a sense of superiority.
Also, in traffic now, I just push my way in, totally against everything I do and have been taught at home, but it works and no-one cares one little bit, as that's what they all do.

As far as the above mentioned scenario, hard to judge unless you were there.
I would have though that and older thai would have given the monk the first seat.
Maybe kids here getting like the west, who knows.

But when the next bus came along would you do the same thing?
I doubt it, especially if you were in a hurry.
Mick

DRILLER
udonmap.com

What would you do?

Post by DRILLER » February 5, 2016, 5:31 pm

i wouldnt have hesitated getting on.

if im next in line, i get on & take a seat & look for a hottie.

:evil:
temptation is a .....

Return to “General Debates & Discussions”