Why we have the electoral college......

General off-topic debates and discussions forum.
glalt
udonmap.com

Why we have the electoral college......

Post by glalt » May 20, 2018, 9:19 am

In their infinite wisdom, the United States’ Founders created the Electoral College to ensure the STATES were fairly represented. Why should one or two densely populated areas speak for the whole of the nation?

The following list of statistics has been making the rounds on the Internet. It should finally put an end to the argument as to why the Electoral College makes sense.

Do share this. It needs to be widely known and understood.

There are 3,141 counties in the United States.

Trump won 3,084 of them.

Clinton won 57.

There are 62 counties in New York State.

Trump won 46 of them.

Clinton won 16.

Clinton won the popular vote by approx. 1.5 million votes.

In the 5 counties that encompass NYC, (Bronx, Brooklyn, Manhattan, Richmond & Queens)

Clinton received well over 2 million more votes than Trump. (Clinton only won 4 of these counties; Trump won Richmond)

Therefore these 5 counties alone, more than accounted for Clinton winning the popular vote of the entire country.

These 5 counties comprise 319 square miles.

The United States is comprised of 3,797,000 square miles.

When you have a country that encompasses almost 4 million square miles of territory, it would be ludicrous to even suggest that the vote of those who inhabit a mere 319 square miles should dictate the outcome of a national election.

Large, densely populated Democrat cities (NYC, Chicago, San Francisco, LA, etc.) DO NOT and SHOULD NOT speak for the rest of our country!

And...it's been verified and documented that those aforementioned 319 square miles are where the majority of our nation’s problems foment.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Re: Why we have the electoral college......

Post by stattointhailand » May 20, 2018, 1:37 pm

Why we have the electoral college. .........

and there was me thinking that it was the school that Americans attended to learn to be brainwashed :lol:

Giggle
udonmap.com

Post by Giggle » May 20, 2018, 2:05 pm

Thus proving what an ignorant toad you are.
Ashli Babbitt -- SAY HER NAME!

papafarang
udonmap.com

Post by papafarang » May 20, 2018, 5:30 pm

how dumb that sounds, 1 man 1 vote, democracy . what the F does square footage have to do with it ? so if 1 person lived in California and everyone else lived in new York ? gerrymandering comes to mind.

"Large, densely populated Democrat cities (NYC, Chicago, San Francisco, LA, etc.) DO NOT and SHOULD NOT speak for the rest of our country!" so huge unpopulated areas have a better chance of beating the masses ? that is dumb
Hansa village clubhouse . Tel 0981657001 https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Han ... 5851?hl=en

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Post by Lone Star » May 20, 2018, 5:38 pm

glalt wrote:
May 20, 2018, 9:19 am
In their infinite wisdom, the United States’ Founders created the Electoral College to ensure the STATES were fairly represented. Why should one or two densely populated areas speak for the whole of the nation?
Absolutely correct!

And it is yet another example of the separation of powers and states' rights and why the Founders and Framers did not want a pure democracy under any condition.

The EC is not based on land size. It is based on the population within each state as a percentage of total population -- the same way that representation in the House of Representatives is calculated.

The EC insures that all states are heard. Genius.
AMERICA: One of the Greatest Stories Ever Told.

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » May 20, 2018, 5:49 pm

When did this become USA Map
I enjoy discussing local issues or even Thailand events

But once again don't give a rats behind abut the 2nd amendment, electoral vote, school shootings minority failings, police shootings,

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Post by Lone Star » May 20, 2018, 6:04 pm

Doodoo wrote:
May 20, 2018, 5:49 pm

But once again don't give a rats behind abut the 2nd amendment, electoral vote, school shootings minority failings, police shootings,
Go back and look at WHO the OPs were on most of these US topic threads that you now claim to hate so much and in which you have eagerly participated in the past. :) In the majority of the cases the OP was not an American; and in many of the cases, the OP was making a strong effort to make a negative claim about the US or, at least, insinuate something derogatory about the US. That is entirely their right to voice an opinion.

Don't read what you don't want to see. :) Simple solution

Giggle
udonmap.com

Post by Giggle » May 20, 2018, 6:27 pm

Pathetic Brits aren't trusted to vote in their leaders. Their government's opinion is so low of them they're pretty much just simpleton bystanders. And even then, the best they can come up with is mop-headed idiot Boris, School marm dozy May, and we-love-terrorism Khan. Christ, what a rag-tag bunch of stupidity they have running that rat-hole.

I suppose it trickles down from the dysfunctional laughingstock masquerading as royals. Criticizing others makes them feel slightly better about their own predicament.

papafarang
udonmap.com

Post by papafarang » May 20, 2018, 6:42 pm

what royal families have to do with it I don't know ? but votes based on square footage is bizarre
Hansa village clubhouse . Tel 0981657001 https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Han ... 5851?hl=en

vlad
udonmap.com

Post by vlad » May 20, 2018, 6:45 pm

He is just out to cause trouble Dean don't feed him.

Stantheman
udonmap.com

Post by Stantheman » May 20, 2018, 6:46 pm

Giggle wrote:
May 20, 2018, 6:27 pm
Pathetic Brits aren't trusted to vote in their leaders. Their government's opinion is so low of them they're pretty much just simpleton bystanders. And even then, the best they can come up with is mop-headed idiot Boris, School marm dozy May, and we-love-terrorism Khan. Christ, what a rag-tag bunch of stupidity they have running that rat-hole.

I suppose it trickles down from the dysfunctional laughingstock masquerading as royals. Criticizing others makes them feel slightly better about their own predicament.
As usual giggly Giggle bashing another group, this time the Brits, guess not enough ethnic Mexicans on the forum for Him, She, It to bash.

Giggle
udonmap.com

Post by Giggle » May 20, 2018, 6:55 pm

Just stating my opinion, Stan, ya stalker. If you noticed, others have stated their opinions, too.

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » May 20, 2018, 8:00 pm

Don't read what you don't want to see. :) Simple solution

Exactly LONESTAR I don't want to see!!!

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » May 20, 2018, 8:12 pm

Doodoo wrote:
May 20, 2018, 5:49 pm

Suggest that you may like to avoid looking at the General Debates & Discussions/World Sports etc sections of the forum then Doodoo, as as far as I am aware those sections will never have a lot of Udon Thani info in them

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » May 20, 2018, 8:38 pm

Stationthailand (I noticed your name is not Station USA)Certainly there is a lot of Udon and Thai information and individuals asking for information and spreading stories to be followed up on. I wont post a list, but again.

I don't ask a lot of questions of why the USA has electoral districts , why they have a NEW CIA Director (Unless she is coming to the secret torture room we have here, I doubt and once again don't care) If I did care I would be asking how someone is elected in Iceland but again if I had such a question I would research it myself before blurting it out and taking up time and space here on UDONMAP

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » May 20, 2018, 10:33 pm

Doodoo wrote:
May 20, 2018, 8:38 pm
Stationthailand (I noticed your name is not Station USA)Certainly there is a lot of Udon and Thai information and individuals asking for information and spreading stories to be followed up on. I wont post a list, but again.

I don't ask a lot of questions of why the USA has electoral districts , why they have a NEW CIA Director (Unless she is coming to the secret torture room we have here, I doubt and once again don't care) If I did care I would be asking how someone is elected in Iceland but again if I had such a question I would research it myself before blurting it out and taking up time and space here on UDONMAP
And neither is it Stationthailand :lol:

The Udon Thani info is for the Udon Thani sections of the forum, the Thailand info for the Thailand sections and virtually every other bit of banter/chitchat/info/fun is contained in the other sections, that is why there are the other sections. If you dont want to read/contribute to the non Udon sections it's not a crime ...... as they say "up to you" nobody is forcing you to read them :-$

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Post by Lone Star » May 21, 2018, 12:21 pm

This map illustrates the size of states based on their population sizes (not based on land area). It explains in pictures, even for the simple-minded, how the popular vote from 4 states would overwhelm the smaller POPULATION states and eliminate the separation of powers between the federal and state governments.

As previously stated in this thread, each state's electoral votes are based on their percentage of the total US population. It's not based on land size. If it were based on land size, Alaska (the largest state in land size) would have the most electoral votes. Alaska only has 3 electoral votes.

The county-by-county map shown below illustrates the Democrat (blue) voting counties vs the Republican (red) voting counties.

In this county-by-county voting, it is possible for the votes from ONE or just a few counties to be more than the votes of all the other counties combined -- as it does in NY, which is overwhelmingly RED; BUT was won by the Democrat candidate in 2016. Not based on land size. Based on population size as a percentage of the total US population.

Return to “General Debates & Discussions”