Car cameras...

General off-topic debates and discussions forum.
LoneTraveler
udonmap.com

Re: Car cameras...

Post by LoneTraveler » August 27, 2018, 7:25 am

Transcend SDHC 64GB, High Endurance card can be found at power buy in Central because they sell Transcend camera or try Powerbuy Big C, on same road as Makro, I have seen them there. Also, you can order online @ Lazada.co.th. I think I paid 1064 Baht. It came in sealed packing and is original as far as I can tell. It works well. Also,I was talking about the USB ports on the computer not different USB cables, try different ports when plugging in with USB cable.

My camera alerts me to outside lane and too close to vehicle but the alert mechanism is a chiming sound not a voice. I have not been able to locate how turn off, not sure I would want too.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » August 27, 2018, 10:32 am

Although there's other Transcend products on their shelves, I didn't see an Transcend memory cards in Central PowerBuy last week. Like the 3 other stores I checked, they did have SanDisk cards.

Maybe Transcend have been hit by fake cards from China and like Kingston, have suspended imports? The same happened a few years back when fake Duracell batteries flooded the Thai market. Within a few months, the brand disappeared completely.

I think if you buy online from invadeit, JIB or any other online IT retailers, the product will be genuine and if not, you have recourse. Buying sd cards on lazada isn't recommended IMHO.

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » August 27, 2018, 11:53 am

In the past, I purchased two cheap car cameras. The instructions left a lot to be desired. Both died an early death. I never did figure out some of the convoluted settings. I now use the Internet for reviews and to see if the camera is popular enough to have on line discussions and on line manuals. Having a camera that is difficult to use and nearly impossible to properly program is frustrating. You don't need to pay a big price for a decent car camera. You do need to know how to properly program and use it. I personally like cams that have WiFi that allow you to program the camera with your phone while sitting in your vehicle.

I just resurrected a very expensive old cam that does everything including using GPS Google map. It is called a RoadEyes Rec Pro from France. The camera has no buttons on it. It uses a remote. Without the working remote you can adjust nothing. The remote quit working. It uses a 3 volt button battery. I checked the battery and it showed 3 volts. My phone camera sees the IR light up so I decided it was a camera problem. I put the camera on the shelf and had given up. Last week I took a spare battery for my truck remote and put it in the cam remote. Everything works again. It is now mounted on the back window of my wife's car. It also needs computer software to see all the functions. It is an old camera and when Windows 10 came out that software no longer works. RoadEyes cam company did not update their software because the cam is now obsolete. Using the memory card in the computer shows the files by date and time so it is still usable.

Sometimes you can have a device that is too complicated and gives information that you may not want or need. For instance, if you were over the speed limit, you won't want the police to see that. For that reason, I avoid units with the GPS function.

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » August 27, 2018, 12:34 pm

I bought two Transcend High Endurance memory cards off Lazada. A 32 and a 64 GB. Transcend has a web site to check if they are genuine;

https://th.transcend-info.com/support/verification

Both cards are genuine.

You should take the serial number off the card itself. You will need a magnifying glass to read the tiny numbers.

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » August 27, 2018, 2:08 pm

glalt wrote:
August 27, 2018, 12:34 pm
I bought two Transcend High Endurance memory cards off Lazada. A 32 and a 64 GB. Transcend has a web site to check if they are genuine;

https://th.transcend-info.com/support/verification

Both cards are genuine.

You should take the serial number off the card itself. You will need a magnifying glass to read the tiny numbers.
I see we're getting towards 2,000 baht for this card (64GB), so not cheap in comparison to other cards and what my camera cost. But good the Transcend verification appears you can check you're not getting ripped off.

Hoopoe
udonmap.com

Post by Hoopoe » August 27, 2018, 2:26 pm

Just an added note to all this advice , here is a don't , buying online from RTEB , associates funny mail .com . also YIN MENGALIN all been reported for fraud , rip off's ,i along with many many others got caught out by these scammers ,you start at RTEB and get bounced around the three , they then send you incomplete orders and VERY cheaper versions of what you have ordered , RTEB is based in Hongkong , Funny mail is based in BElgium and holland , Yin mengalin is China ,

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » August 27, 2018, 3:14 pm

Since these particular cards are so expensive, there is probably a good chance that there will be pirate copies soon. Due to the steep price it is worth the bother to make sure they are genuine.

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » August 29, 2018, 11:22 am

In case it's of help to anyone ......
I've been in contact with Transcend in Taiwan - good customer care. The sales guy responsible for Thailand recommended Lazada and assured me that as an authorised distributor for Transcend, that the memory cards would be genuine.
Well, I couldn't find many Transcend products in Udon anyway. IT City and Powerbuy are noted somewhere of being stockists, but the ONLY card I found which came near to what I wanted was at the Powerbuy outlet near Play Port. And I believe it was just the one card stocked.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » August 29, 2018, 12:19 pm

Brian Davis wrote:
August 29, 2018, 11:22 am
In case it's of help to anyone ......
I've been in contact with Transcend in Taiwan - good customer care. The sales guy responsible for Thailand recommended Lazada and assured me that as an authorised distributor for Transcend, that the memory cards would be genuine.
Well, I couldn't find many Transcend products in Udon anyway. IT City and Powerbuy are noted somewhere of being stockists, but the ONLY card I found which came near to what I wanted was at the Powerbuy outlet near Play Port. And I believe it was just the one card stocked.
If Transcend do sell direct on lazada like Tesco-Lotus and several other name-brands, then yes, the product won't be fake. Caveat emptor as always and double check the vendor you chose is indeed the "authorized distributor".

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » August 29, 2018, 3:30 pm

Due to this post I have been reviewing SD cards if I buy a replacement when home or even get one here in Dubai at a tech shop.
I came across this site and the guy in the video on the page seemed to explain SD card in a user friendly way. I at least gained some insight into to working of the cards and types for dash cams.

https://www.carcamcentral.com/guide/rec ... ltra-cards

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » August 30, 2018, 3:54 am

Thanks for that. Useful information - I just hope the guy is fully independent. I'm just pleased that, according to him, I've ordered the best card and can be sure it's genuine.

bluejets
udonmap.com

Post by bluejets » August 30, 2018, 7:37 am

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » August 30, 2018, 9:47 am

I don't know where he got the price for the Transcend 32 GB card. I paid 980 baht for the 32 GB high Endurance card. I don't remember if I mentioned it but the card that failed when I needed it most was a 32 GB class 10 Sandisk. The files were corrupted and my efforts to read those files all failed even after spending $50 for a program that was supposed to make it readable. I found it interesting that I formatted that Sandisk card in my computer and it seems to working fine in my phone.

Now and in the future, I'll pay the premium for the highest rated memory card for my car cams. I took the 64 GB Transcend card out of my recently new Yi ultra cam (wife's car) and checked the videos in my computer. I was a bit surprised to see two files marked in red. A quick check found that when our village upgraded the water system they left two fairly large speed bumps where new pipes cross the road. The sensitivity has three settings, low, medium and high. It is set to medium. I was tempted to set the sensitivity to low but left it on medium.

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » August 30, 2018, 3:53 pm

Transcend card delivered by Lazada. The serial number checks out with the verification system as genuine. Now to see whether it makes life using the camera better.

Mosquito
udonmap.com

Post by Mosquito » August 30, 2018, 5:38 pm

Has anyone traded in there Honda for a new model and had the service guys transfer your car camera to the new vehicle?

Mosquito
udonmap.com

Post by Mosquito » August 30, 2018, 5:39 pm

missed typed "there", getting old.

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » September 1, 2018, 11:30 am

The following link has helped me to play video files via VLC on my desktop when Windows Media Player wouldn't, seemingly, do so. https://www.thedashcamstore.com/playing ... data-logs/
With the camera's own battery exhausting very quickly and being unable still to link the camera and computer with a USB, this works fine. At least I've established that the camera and new micro SD is recording fine and that I should be able to access any one file, if needed.
With driving 3 hours minimum every weekday, even the 64 GB fills rapidly. It wasn't full this time, about 2/3's I believe, so I haven't tested 'looping' yet. I guess if that doesn't work (other than throwing the camera back at the manufacturer :evil: ) , I guess it would be a case of deleting files every second day.

denz
udonmap.com

Post by denz » May 2, 2019, 4:50 pm

Have just ordered Transcend Driverpro 200 online .
Any suggestions of places in Udon to fit it?
Would prefer not to be powered by car cigarette lighter if possible

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » May 2, 2019, 5:52 pm

One reason I really like the Yi cameras is because I don't have to fiddle with them. I can do everything from the WiFi with my phone.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » May 2, 2019, 6:31 pm

denz wrote:
May 2, 2019, 4:50 pm
Have just ordered Transcend Driverpro 200 online .
Any suggestions of places in Udon to fit it?
Would prefer not to be powered by car cigarette lighter if possible
I got mine fitted by the first shop selling car stereos and speakers going out of Udon towards KK just past the Wing 23 entrance with the planes, I don't remember the exact price but certainly under 1,000 probably around 500, however I did have the correct mounting kit so they didn't need to use any of their materials.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

Return to “General Debates & Discussions”