New Ad's

General off-topic debates and discussions forum.

Do you like the new AD's

Poll ended at June 5, 2007, 10:35 pm

1. Love them
5%
2. Hate them
28%
3. What's the problem
45%
4. What Ad's
23%

Total votes: 40

lee
udonmap.com

Post by lee » May 27, 2007, 12:19 pm

We would like to display all 10cent + adverts but we do not control this. Google gives us a code and the script randomly picks relevant adverts based on the content of the page. We have no idea which is a 1cent advert or 10cent advert.

We do not use flash, pop-ups etc as I know these can get very annoying. The flashing adverts last night were just to test the script out.

We try to place the adverts so they're not too in your face, but we need to place them where they'll be seen otherwise no one will click on them.

One good thing about Google is that it does deliver adverts relevant to the content of each thread. If someone's talking about Bangkok hotels it will display adverts about Bangkok and hotels or both, so sometimes it comes in useful.

Dakoda
udonmap.com

Post by Dakoda » May 27, 2007, 12:46 pm

[quote="lee"] Members with more than 1,000 posts will not be shown any advert, including Google

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » May 27, 2007, 1:00 pm

[quote="Dakoda"][quote="lee"] Members with more than 1,000 posts will not be shown any advert, including Google

lee
udonmap.com

Post by lee » May 27, 2007, 1:05 pm

Udonmap.com averages between 1,500-2,000 visitors daily, less than 5% of these users have over 1,000 posts and do not see the Google adverts.

New vistors are more likely to click on a advert as they are searching for information, where as regular users are less likely to look or click on Google adverts.

But then there are also users like Dakoda who "Hate them" and probably wouldn't click on them anyway. ;)

Dakoda
udonmap.com

Post by Dakoda » May 27, 2007, 1:28 pm

lee wrote:Udonmap.com averages between 1,500-2,000 visitors daily, less than 5% of these users have over 1,000 posts and do not see the Google adverts.

New vistors are more likely to click on a advert as they are searching for information, where as regular users are less likely to look or click on Google adverts.

But then there are also users like Dakoda who "Hate them" and probably wouldn't click on them anyway. ;)
Beg to differ. Guess how I found Decor and kitchen cabinets. Thru an ad here (which I clicked on), and as I have said, have 1500+ posts. But now I will not be buying those cabinets from Decor. But it was a toss up anyways, but I was leaning toward Decor.

Makes me kinda of wonder why someone not living here would be interested in an Udon advertiser. But he11 what do I know.

lee
udonmap.com

Post by lee » May 27, 2007, 1:43 pm

We're talking about Google adverts here NOT our local sponsors adverts, please read back through my posts again.

Decor's choice advert is still in the same position it was 6+ months ago, nothing has changed there.

Google adverts display anything and everything related to the content of the post, so may be of interest to the person reading it no matter which city or country they are from.
Daks wrote:Makes me kinda of wonder why someone not living here would be interested in an Udon advertiser. But he11 what do I know.
I would guess that 99.9% of people that read this forum have some interest in Udon, since this is an Udon Thani related forum. Therefore Adverts relating to Udon Thani may be of interest to some people.

Anyway we're talking about Google adverts here not out local sponsors. Google display all types of adverts, not just those related to Udon Thani.

wokkawombat
udonmap.com
Location: Udon/Noosa Australia. "One crowded hour of glorious life is worth an age without a name".

Post by wokkawombat » May 27, 2007, 3:10 pm

Lee, is clicking the ad and opening the first page enough for Udon map to be paid?
John
Gurgle, Gurgle...

Doc
udonmap.com

Post by Doc » May 27, 2007, 3:20 pm

Not Lee - but yes. Typically you have to let the entire page load to get paid for the click.
Ain't Easy Being Me

lee
udonmap.com

Post by lee » May 27, 2007, 4:40 pm

wokkawombat wrote:Lee, is clicking the ad and opening the first page enough for Udon map to be paid?
John
As Doc says, once you click on the advert and the page has loaded udonmap.com gets paid for the click.

rickfarang
udonmap.com

Post by rickfarang » May 27, 2007, 4:44 pm

These ads are very intrusive, and I doubt I will view pages with them long enough to get used to them.

Its good to experiment with new ideas, please dump this one and move on to the next one.

lee
udonmap.com

Post by lee » May 27, 2007, 4:57 pm

Thanks for the feedback Rick. We'll be keeping this code for the moment.

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » May 27, 2007, 6:08 pm

I think you should put the ads on all posters pages so we all can EASILY support the forum!

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » May 27, 2007, 6:43 pm

you can give stan my share then, and i will stick with-out the flashing ads.

Ok so which 2 voted "love them" .... :lol: .

Google ads for me are totally useless i am not searching for that stuff on here, so removing them is good for me,any other site i go on i don't tend to click on them either.

but if there comes a time when this forum needed the support of extra "Clicks" then i am sure we would help out, but that time is obviously not yet.
One place i do "click on" and thats the isara site and also use the image posting service(hope they get money for clicks for that image service page too).

Everything looks good on here and looks like it runs smooth as it is.

lee
udonmap.com

Post by lee » May 27, 2007, 8:50 pm

That's ok bm, we're not after anyone's clicks, I was just explaining how they worked and how it helps put money in the piggy bank for the yearly hosting fees.

Everyone gives support in one way or another, and if you don't click or look at the adverts we don't mind. Just simply posting on the forum is support enough as it gives others something to read, your humorous posts are much appreciated too, they take the edge off some of the more serious topics.

Anyway, I've changed the background of the adverts so they blend in now and are not too in your face. Please ignore them if you must, but they're there just incase they're of interest to someone.

Anyway it looks like we have some chilled people on the forum, 70% say they love, don't mind or haven't seen the adverts, so no worries there.
:D

Roy
udonmap.com
Location: Outside LA's hoping to get a glimpse of his naked maid

Post by Roy » May 27, 2007, 9:36 pm

IMHO I really don't see why some of you say these ad's are intrusive, annoying or whatever.
Personally I think they make no difference to my enjoyment of the forum and will gladly click away if it helps support something I use for free on a daily basis and would miss greatly should it not be there.
Free the Doug 1

LU
udonmap.com

Post by LU » May 27, 2007, 9:58 pm

New background on the adverts is is big improvement Lee - thank you. I'll like to change my vote now :oops:

wokkawombat
udonmap.com
Location: Udon/Noosa Australia. "One crowded hour of glorious life is worth an age without a name".

Post by wokkawombat » May 28, 2007, 9:07 am

I voted for option 3. To me the adverts are unintrusive and if clicking on a few of them each day helps keep the forum going I am happy to do this. I opened one and found Beer Lao on sale somewhere in the Nana area for 60 baht during happy hour.

John
Gurgle, Gurgle...

uncle tom
udonmap.com

Post by uncle tom » May 28, 2007, 9:49 am

Now that the ADS have stopped flashing I have no problem.

I have now voted for 3 and thanks you for stopping the flashing.

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » May 28, 2007, 10:10 am

beer monkey wrote:you can give stan my share then, and i will stick with-out the flashing ads.

Ok so which 2 voted "love them" .... :lol: .

Google ads for me are totally useless i am not searching for that stuff on here, so removing them is good for me,any other site i go on i don't tend to click on them either.

but if there comes a time when this forum needed the support of extra "Clicks" then i am sure we would help out, but that time is obviously not yet.
One place i do "click on" and thats the isara site and also use the image posting service(hope they get money for clicks for that image service page too).

Everything looks good on here and looks like it runs smooth as it is.
:lol: I don't like the flashing ads either!But what about flashing avatars #-o

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » May 28, 2007, 4:13 pm

well i think it about time that you got yourself a nice avatar stan, maybe Lee could choose one and put it in your profile ?? ;)
Can You Dig It Dug.?

Return to “General Debates & Discussions”