America Today - Teachers Arming in Schools

General off-topic debates and discussions forum.
Astana
udonmap.com

Re: America Today.

Post by Astana » March 5, 2019, 9:02 pm

Udon Map
Admin

Re: America Today - Teachers Arming in Schools

Post by Udon Map » March 5, 2019, 10:21 pm

As you can see, I have renamed this thread to reflect the original topic. Over the next week, I'll be pruning off-topic posts.

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » March 16, 2019, 7:59 pm

Laan Yaa Mo wrote:
March 5, 2019, 5:58 am
Speaking of Louisiana's finest, let's spend a few minutes in Baton Rouge,

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilv-qV_1_PM[/youtube]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilv-qV_1_PM
All I can say is "Spot the Camel Toes" :lol: :lol: [-X
That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Post by semperfiguy » March 16, 2019, 8:31 pm

pipoz4444 wrote:
March 16, 2019, 7:59 pm
Laan Yaa Mo wrote:

Now that was amazing...every one of those girls knew exactly what their moves were and I didn't see one girl looking in the direction of the others to see what to do next. They were all beaming with self-assuredness and self-confidence. Now, here in Thailand that's a different story. Everytime I see a group of dancers on TV the girls remind me of elementary school kids practicing for a stage play. They're all looking around the see what moves they need to make next because none of them can walk and chew gum at the same time. Just sayin'!
Last edited by semperfiguy on March 16, 2019, 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Colossians 2:8-10...See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, which are based on human tradition and the spiritual forces of the world rather than on Christ. For in HIM dwells all the fullness of the GODHEAD bodily; and you are complete in HIM, who is the head of all principality and power.

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Post by Lone Star » March 16, 2019, 9:08 pm

pipoz4444 wrote:
March 16, 2019, 7:59 pm
Laan Yaa Mo wrote:

LSU's Golden Girls are #1.

AMERICA: One of the Greatest Stories Ever Told.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » March 16, 2019, 10:13 pm

semperfiguy wrote:
March 16, 2019, 8:31 pm
Now, here in Thailand that's a different story. Everytime I see a group of dancers on TV the girls remind me of elementary school kids practicing for a stage play. They're all looking around the see what moves they need to make next because none of them can walk and chew gum at the same time. Just sayin'!
You really need to get over yourself, sfg. Can't be very healthy to bear such bitterness and xenophobia, particularly in the place you are living.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » March 16, 2019, 10:40 pm

He has been carrying that burden for years.
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

newtovillagelife
udonmap.com

Post by newtovillagelife » March 17, 2019, 8:14 am

jackspratt wrote:
March 16, 2019, 10:13 pm
semperfiguy wrote:
Now, here in Thailand that's a different story. Everytime I see a group of dancers on TV the girls remind me of elementary school kids practicing for a stage play. They're all looking around the see what moves they need to make next because none of them can walk and chew gum at the same time. Just sayin'!
You really need to get over yourself, sfg. Can't be very healthy to bear such bitterness and xenophobia, particularly in the place you are living.

How is this a display of bitterness or xenophobia, he is just making an observation which I tend to agree with. The Thai education system is very weak. Student are not taught to think for themselves or even care to question what they are being taught. Most are lazy and undisciplined.

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Post by semperfiguy » March 17, 2019, 8:29 am

newtovillagelife wrote:
March 17, 2019, 8:14 am
jackspratt wrote:
March 16, 2019, 10:13 pm
semperfiguy wrote:

How is this a display of bitterness or xenophobia, he is just making an observation which I tend to agree with. The Thai education system is very weak. Student are not taught to think for themselves or even care to question what they are being taught. Most are lazy and undisciplined.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ :love: :love: :love: :drunk:
Colossians 2:8-10...See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, which are based on human tradition and the spiritual forces of the world rather than on Christ. For in HIM dwells all the fullness of the GODHEAD bodily; and you are complete in HIM, who is the head of all principality and power.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » March 17, 2019, 10:39 am

newtovillagelife wrote:

How is this a display of bitterness or xenophobia, he is just making an observation which I tend to agree with.
You either have a short memory, or don't read much. :roll:

newtovillagelife
udonmap.com

Post by newtovillagelife » March 17, 2019, 10:52 am

jackspratt wrote:
March 17, 2019, 10:39 am
newtovillagelife wrote:

How is this a display of bitterness or xenophobia, he is just making an observation which I tend to agree with.
You either have a short memory, or don't read much. :roll:
I stand by my statement, regarding the quote you made comments on.

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Post by Lone Star » April 2, 2019, 3:43 pm

‘Assault Weapons’ and Magazine Bans Do Not Lower Homicide Rates

Source: Boston University School of Public Health

Michael Spiegel of Boston University and gun control advocate David Hemenway of Harvard University teamed up to study the effect of bans on “high-capacity” magazines and “assault weapons”.

A simple summary of their findings indicate that such bans would not lower homicide rates.

Named "The Impact of State Firearm Laws on Homicide and Suicide Deaths in the USA, 1991–2016: a Panel Study."

The study isolated four states and 10 different types of gun control. They measured the effectiveness of the laws in stemming homicide rates. Their research indicates that “high-capacity” magazine and “assault weapons” bans do not lower homicide rates.

Michael Spiegel:
Although I completely understand the desire to ban assault weapons, I just don’t see empirical evidence that such bans have any substantial impact on homicide rates. These bans are most often based on characteristics of guns that are not directly tied to their lethality.

Laws regulating the sale of assault weapons are unlikely to have a large impact on homicide rates, because these weapons are used in only a very small proportion of homicides. The vast majority of firearm homicides in the United States are committed with handguns.
The study also found that:
changes in household gun ownership were not found to be significantly associated with homicide or suicide rates.
Another LIB Myth busted. According to this study, a gun in the house does NOT put the homeowner at greater risk.

Udon Map
Admin

Post by Udon Map » April 2, 2019, 4:32 pm

Lone Star wrote:
April 2, 2019, 3:43 pm
Michael Spiegel of Boston University and gun control advocate David Hemenway of Harvard University teamed up to study the effect of bans on “high-capacity” magazines and “assault weapons”.

A simple summary of their findings indicate that such bans would not lower homicide rates.
Do you have a link to the study? "Simple summary" is a dangerous term and thing on which to rely. It's far from a simple problem; there are many and diverse factors involved. And, as we know, the statistics can be presented in different ways to appear to support whatever conclusion the researchers or reporters desired.

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Post by Lone Star » April 2, 2019, 5:09 pm

Not handy, but the study title should take you there:

The Impact of State Firearm Laws on Homicide and Suicide Deaths in the USA, 1991–2016: a Panel Study

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » April 2, 2019, 8:01 pm

Udon Map wrote:
April 2, 2019, 4:32 pm
Do you have a link to the study?
To save you a bit of time, here is the link which LS apparently used for his "simple summary".

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2019 ... ide-rates/

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Post by Lone Star » April 3, 2019, 4:43 am

Udon Map wrote:
April 2, 2019, 4:32 pm
Do you have a link to the study?

. . .
Link to the study.

https://link.springer.com/article/10.10 ... 19-04922-x

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » April 3, 2019, 8:53 am

Thanks for that link - I can understand why you were reluctant to link to your original source at Breitbart. :oops:

Anyway, the "simple summary" from your link doesn't mention anything about what you originally posted. Instead, it says:
Key Results

Universal background checks were associated with a 14.9% (95% CI, 5.2–23.6%) reduction in overall homicide rates, violent misdemeanor laws were associated with a 18.1% (95% CI, 8.1–27.1%) reduction in homicide, and “shall issue” laws were associated with a 9.0% (95% CI, 1.1–17.4%) increase in homicide. These laws were significantly associated only with firearm-related homicide rates, not non-firearm-related homicide rates. None of the other laws examined were consistently related to overall homicide or suicide rates.
and:
Conclusions

We found a relationship between the enactment of two types of state firearm laws and reductions in homicide over time. However, further research is necessary to determine whether these associations are causal ones.
:-k

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Post by Lone Star » April 3, 2019, 9:36 am

jackspratt wrote:
April 3, 2019, 8:53 am

. . .

We found a relationship between the enactment of two types of state firearm laws and reductions in homicide over time. However, further research is necessary to determine whether these associations are causal ones.
The fact remains: What data they did uncover, shows that the laws do not lower homicide rates.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » April 3, 2019, 9:45 am

I am not sure whether it is obfuscation or ignorance on your part.

The conclusion above says that further research is necessary, NOT that the laws do not show...........

:-s

Udon Map
Admin

Post by Udon Map » April 3, 2019, 5:12 pm

Lone Star wrote:
April 2, 2019, 3:43 pm

You selected one study from the dozens which were used in that analysis, most of which show the opposite.

For example, the most recent study cited, a 2018 study by Crifasi, et al. using data from 1984-2015, showed the following changes resulting from certain U.S. state firearms policies, measured in urban counties:

Permit to purchase laws: "Permit-to-purchase laws were associated with a 14% reduction in firearm homicide rates"

Right to carry laws: "Right-to-carry laws ... were significantly associated with a 4% increase in firearm homicide rates."

Stand your ground laws: "Stand your ground laws ... were significantly associated with a 7% increase in firearm homicide rates."

Or look at a 2018 study by Kaufman, et al., using data gathered between 2010 and 2014 looking for correlation with state firearm policy scores (higher firearm policy scores mean a more restrictive firearms policy): At the county level, "High policy scores were associated with lower firearm homicide rates."

Or maybe a 2017 study by Kivisto, et al., which found that "Higher scores were associated with lower rates of fatal police shootings."

Look at a 2016 study by Kalesan et al., which looked at the gun law provisions of 29 states based on 2010 data: "Nine specific policies were associated with significantly lower firearm homicide rates; strongest effects for firearm identification, universal background checks, and ammunition background checks."

I could go on, but I'm sure that you get the point. Whoever wrote your source material simply selected the few studies which supported the position that s/he espoused. But when looking at the bigger picture, the data as a whole, the inescapable conclusion is that stronger gun laws reduce deaths.

The moral of the story? Don't rely on someone else's report of what the data shows. That's why when you cite sources I often add information about the source which might lead one to conclude that the source is biased, like this one obviously was. Readers can can come to their own conclusions, but they should have the information.

Return to “General Debates & Discussions”