UK News

General off-topic debates and discussions forum.
AlexO
udonmap.com

Re: UK News

Post by AlexO » June 11, 2020, 10:51 am

RLTrader wrote:
June 11, 2020, 7:47 am
UKC News: Inside Britain’s Shadow State, Using COVID Crisis to ‘Reset’ Society
As the Coronavirus crisis winds down, government officials remain desperate to squeeze every last drop of leverage to advance more control policies during the extended ‘lockdown’ phase, and to use the illusion of a continual crisis as convenient cover to ‘reshape government’ and implement further “New Normal” social engineering measures, keep schools shut, as well as kill-out what is left the SME and independent business sector. However, behind the facade of a clapping Boris Johnson, an opaque shadow government is busy running COVID propaganda operations targeting the public, as well as restructuring the NHS – not for COVID, but more likely for future privatization of health services in Britain, and also prepare for the coming Fourth Industrial Revolution. All this and much more.

Co-hosts Brian Gerrish, Mike Robinson and Alex Thomson with the midweek round-up.
https://21stcenturywire.com/2020/06/10/ ... t-society/
What absolute tosh. That's all that can be said about that nonsense. Best :-# :-# :-#

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » June 11, 2020, 12:49 pm

Whoa Uncle KP. Some countries such as Taiwan even had foresight. They anticipated China telling some fibs about a dangerous disease.

Johnson has continued to balls up the UK response through this crisis. For example his recent support of Cummings. No wonder Brits are feeling a bit skeptical on social distancing.
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » June 11, 2020, 1:45 pm

Whoa 93.

I would like to think the honorific "Uncle" is reserved for the polite, intelligent, insightful and concise Uncle Tilo. 👍

mech_401
udonmap.com

Post by mech_401 » June 11, 2020, 11:29 pm

reading an article today about black protestors
toppling " famous slave trader" statues in britain

talk about tone deaf? who thought these tasteful

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » June 12, 2020, 1:36 am

Perhaps Khun Paul is better when KP is drawing on his wealth of life experience to dress down the "youngsters". He's just made for this old headmaster like role.

tinpeeba
udonmap.com

Post by tinpeeba » June 12, 2020, 2:07 am

AlexO wrote:
June 11, 2020, 8:15 am
tinpeeba wrote:
June 11, 2020, 1:46 am
Coronavirus: 'Earlier lockdown would have halved death toll'
The number of coronavirus deaths in the UK would have been halved if lockdown had been introduced a week earlier, a former government adviser has said.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52995064
PeeBa
Its always those with hindsight that say these things. Where were they at the start of this epidemic shouting about shutting down the Country in February???. These are unprecedented times and people sniping away with the benefit of fore mentioned hindsight is just political drum beating. Same as Starmer, first speech as leader of the Marxist Party, "I will lead a Constructive Opposition" Forgotten about 5 minutes later and just scoring points doing what comes easier, criticizing. Can anyone provide in one very short answer show anything that LIEBOUR have come up with as an alternative response to the virus crisis.
Shame they didn't listen to Rory Stewart:

Rory Stewart accused of 'sensationalising' coronavirus
https://www.cityam.com/mayoral-candidat ... ronavirus/

https://edition.cnn.com/videos/world/20 ... ohnson.cnn

Or Anthony Costello : "We can suppress this epidemic in the way that China and other countries have done. Then we can worry about how to loosen up, and hope that a vaccine comes onboard. But we need to act now. Every day of delay will mean more people become infected or die." https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... s-outbreak

Or John Rashton:“We’ve got a complacent attitude… & we’ve wasted a month. If this now spreads the way it looks as though it’s likely to spread, there will not be enough hospital beds & people will have to be nursed at home”
https://twitter.com/BBCNewsnight/status ... 3970758656

Johnson has denied ever pursuing a herd immunity strategy but Jeremy Hunt gave the game away:
https://twitter.com/i/status/1245107871362224132

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » June 12, 2020, 2:48 am

I'm not surprised to see this. In one of the links Chris Whitty on 11 March is reported as saying:
Conservative MP Steve Baker lashed out at Stewart, a former Tory cabinet secretary, on Twitter today for his calls to immediately shut all schools and limit public gatherings ... The UK’s chief medical officer Chris Whitty has said these measures are not necessary.
:shock: What was happening in China and Italy? Whitty doesn't seem to have been on top of what was happening elsewhere. Taiwan watches China like a hawk. The UK doesn't.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » June 12, 2020, 7:07 am

Yes but Taiwan has other reasons for watching Chine, Virus notwithstanding they have a love hate relationship, currently it is in hate mode.
As I stated before each and every country has its own scientific advisors and Chief medical officers, what they make of the information coming in is based on their experience , advice may have been given and discounted by the politicians, as appears to be the case in the UK it seems, bearing ion mind that Politicians always look to the next election first , rather than other reasons for thinking .
it is difficult to utter the advice and NOT scare the public all at the same time. So it appears it was tempered to downplay the seriousness but at the same time attempt to deal with the known scenario of the enormous inflow of Hospital patients and possibly more importantly of of equipment requirements which before then was adequate , now
needed to be sourced, ordered and despatched at exactly tha same time as virtually every country in Europe and most of the free world.
So it is hardly surprising that mistakes were made, people lives lost , What we need to do now is to learn from our mistakes , remember history ( not destroy it like the Slave riots of today) , but remember and make sure it does not happen again. Destroying history is counter-productive .

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » June 12, 2020, 8:12 am

This news will get a few British posters a bit hot under the collar:
An episode of Fawlty Towers famous for coining the phrase, “Don’t mention the war!” has become the latest “classic” British television programme to be taken down from a BBC-owned streaming service, as broadcasters continue to conduct a reappraisal of old British television content.

The episode of the 1970s sitcom – in which John Cleese as Basil Fawlty goose-steps around a Torquay hotel while shouting the phrase – was recently removed from the BBC-controlled UKTV catch-up service.
https://www.theguardian.com/media/2020/ ... -from-uktv

Don't get too worked up boys, it's Friday.

mech_401
udonmap.com

Post by mech_401 » June 12, 2020, 3:26 pm

it's a cautionary tale of what will happen to u.s. if
we follow britain an emasculated nation, limp with indifference impotent to make any changes .

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » June 13, 2020, 3:25 am

The decision has been reversed and "Don't mention the war" is available again:

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/202 ... rs-episode

Our British posters remained as cool as a cucumber.

AlexO
udonmap.com

Post by AlexO » June 13, 2020, 6:50 am

mech_401 wrote:
June 12, 2020, 3:26 pm
it's a cautionary tale of what will happen to u.s. if
we follow britain an emasculated nation, limp with indifference impotent to make any changes .
Because some halfwit libtard being paid by the oh so righteous left wing pretenders in the BBC make a stupid, stupid decision that does not mean that it represents Britain or British views. You really need justify why you believe that Brits are emasculated.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » June 13, 2020, 9:37 am

There are some who consider Andrew Sach's portrayal of Manuel as the dim, English language-challenged Spanish waiter, perpetually being verbally and physically abused by Cleese's misanthropic character as being no longer acceptable.

How many, "stupid cows" will be seeking reparations for Alf Garnett's verbal excesses?

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » June 13, 2020, 10:03 am

India and now Brazil are battling for a place on the world Covid-19 podium, forcing the UK out of the medals race.

Winning!

vlad
udonmap.com

Post by vlad » June 13, 2020, 11:31 am

Who was the 1st Country to pull depicting a film about slavery from HBO , Oh yes Gone with the Wind from guess where meck ??

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » June 13, 2020, 8:34 pm

Boris seems to be taking his cues from the Bloated Orange Bullshiitter - either stay with the party line, or you are out!
England’s chief nurse was dropped from a daily Downing Street briefing on the coronavirus for refusing to back Dominic Cummings, the Guardian understands.

In a trial run for the 1 June briefing, Ruth May was asked about Cummings driving his family from London to Durham while his wife had suspected Covid-19. When she failed to back the prime minister’s chief adviser, she is understood to have been dropped from the press conference taking place later that day – though this has been denied by a government minister.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... g-cummings
As with Trump, I think we all know how much you can trust this "government minister". :D

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » June 13, 2020, 8:36 pm

GT93 wrote:
June 12, 2020, 1:36 am
Perhaps Khun Paul is better when KP is drawing on his wealth of life experience to dress down the "youngsters". He's just made for this old headmaster like role.
Headmasters in my day had a very different skill-set from that I have seen from KP. ;)

And that has only been magnified over the years, from what I have observed from my Headmaster oldest son.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » June 14, 2020, 10:30 am

jackspratt wrote:
June 13, 2020, 8:36 pm
GT93 wrote:
June 12, 2020, 1:36 am
Headmasters in my day had a very different skill-set from that I have seen from KP. ;)

And that has only been magnified over the years, from what I have observed from my Headmaster oldest son.
The fact that you had a headmaster amazes me, judging by your poor skills you seem to display currently. Oh well it may have been a Government Run institution.

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » June 14, 2020, 11:17 am

Moving on from the ruckus about the skill sets of headmasters ( 8) ), I read the Welsh Guards have been in action for the Papa New Guinean and Jamaican Head of State:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... sor-castle

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » June 14, 2020, 12:52 pm

Royals obviously taking their lead from Cummings ...... Bollox to regulations two metres is only for the riff raff

Return to “General Debates & Discussions”